Enzymes and overnight tube feeds?

hopefulmommy

Hi,
We're currently in the hospital with DS. They started an NG tube on him last night and started night tube feedings.

My question to them was what to do about enzymes! Since the enzymes are really only good for about 30 minutes, right? What happens to the rest of the nutrition after the initial enyzmes are gone? I mean, you've got food running all night and no enzymes to digest it? Wouldn't it just go right through him and waste the nutrition?

How do you do enzymes with overnight tube feeds?

hopefulmommy

Hi,
We're currently in the hospital with DS. They started an NG tube on him last night and started night tube feedings.

My question to them was what to do about enzymes! Since the enzymes are really only good for about 30 minutes, right? What happens to the rest of the nutrition after the initial enyzmes are gone? I mean, you've got food running all night and no enzymes to digest it? Wouldn't it just go right through him and waste the nutrition?

hopefulmommy

Hi,

hopefulmommy

Hi,

hopefulmommy

Hi,
<br /> We're currently in the hospital with DS. They started an NG tube on him last night and started night tube feedings.
<br />
<br />My question to them was what to do about enzymes! Since the enzymes are really only good for about 30 minutes, right? What happens to the rest of the nutrition after the initial enyzmes are gone? I mean, you've got food running all night and no enzymes to digest it? Wouldn't it just go right through him and waste the nutrition?
<br />
<br />How do you do enzymes with overnight tube feeds?

fourkidsmom

I was always told the enzymes last an hour. I usually give my son the regular 2 creon 20's and then 1 creon 10 when I hook him up for his 9 hour night feed, then in the morning- I try to give him 2- 20's and 1 -10 creon again. We have tried the Viokase (powdered enzyme you put in the night feeding bag) and he vomited alot with it and had alot of stomach aches and since we quit he has no problems again.

Good Luck

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

I was always told the enzymes last an hour. I usually give my son the regular 2 creon 20's and then 1 creon 10 when I hook him up for his 9 hour night feed, then in the morning- I try to give him 2- 20's and 1 -10 creon again. We have tried the Viokase (powdered enzyme you put in the night feeding bag) and he vomited alot with it and had alot of stomach aches and since we quit he has no problems again.

Good Luck

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Good Luck

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Good Luck

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

<br />
<br />Good Luck
<br />
<br />Fourkidsmom

S

sdelorenzo

Nolan is precious! I know starting the feedings can be stressful, hopefully you will see some weight gain so to make it all worth it.

My daughter started the g-tube/overnight feeds last year. I run viokase powdered enzymes mixed with a little water through another pump. That way she gets enzymes throughout the night. It works well. I do still give her some enzymes when I start the pump and when it ends in the morning.

Insurance would not pay for the extra pump, so I had to buy it. Also they will only pay for one bag a night, not two. So I have to buy the other bag. But I have been finding some good deals on e-bay.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 7 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

Nolan is precious! I know starting the feedings can be stressful, hopefully you will see some weight gain so to make it all worth it.

My daughter started the g-tube/overnight feeds last year. I run viokase powdered enzymes mixed with a little water through another pump. That way she gets enzymes throughout the night. It works well. I do still give her some enzymes when I start the pump and when it ends in the morning.

Insurance would not pay for the extra pump, so I had to buy it. Also they will only pay for one bag a night, not two. So I have to buy the other bag. But I have been finding some good deals on e-bay.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />
<br />My daughter started the g-tube/overnight feeds last year. I run viokase powdered enzymes mixed with a little water through another pump. That way she gets enzymes throughout the night. It works well. I do still give her some enzymes when I start the pump and when it ends in the morning.
<br />
<br />Insurance would not pay for the extra pump, so I had to buy it. Also they will only pay for one bag a night, not two. So I have to buy the other bag. But I have been finding some good deals on e-bay.
<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 7 and Jack, 4 both with cf

jimiv

As far as enzymes I was always told that they were good for food 30 minutes before and 90 minutes after. Parker takes Ultrase MT-20s. As far as the overnight feeds. I give him enzymes at the start of his feed and I add Viokase powder to the feeding bag and blend it into the bag. There was some concern about the Viokase breaking down but it has worked so far.

jimiv

As far as enzymes I was always told that they were good for food 30 minutes before and 90 minutes after. Parker takes Ultrase MT-20s. As far as the overnight feeds. I give him enzymes at the start of his feed and I add Viokase powder to the feeding bag and blend it into the bag. There was some concern about the Viokase breaking down but it has worked so far.

jimiv

jimiv

jimiv