First signs of CF?

NoahsMommy

let me first introduce myself my name is sara and just had my first child on feb 3rd since he was a week early and cause i had gestational diabetes my dr. told me to come in for a week check up instead of the normal 2 week check up and thats when he told me that the PKU test came back showing that Noah was a carrier for Cf and needed to have further testing done to see if he actually as CF. then he told me that symptoms don't usually show up until the babies are around a year or two. so my question is when did everyone have symptoms show up?

btw his sweat test is on the 5th of march.

NoahsMommy

let me first introduce myself my name is sara and just had my first child on feb 3rd since he was a week early and cause i had gestational diabetes my dr. told me to come in for a week check up instead of the normal 2 week check up and thats when he told me that the PKU test came back showing that Noah was a carrier for Cf and needed to have further testing done to see if he actually as CF. then he told me that symptoms don't usually show up until the babies are around a year or two. so my question is when did everyone have symptoms show up?

NoahsMommy

JazzysMom

For me my symptoms leading to dx were always a digestive issue. I wasnt dx until 7 years old after allergy testing for tons of things. Many CFers dont present "symptoms" with their lungs right away. The bowel movements or blockages are often the first sign of something wrong, but if the CFer happens to be pancreatic sufficient then even those signs wont appear. This is an example of WHY CF screening is so important. To catch the ones that no "obvious" signs appear immediately. Good Luck and if you have more ?? please ask, otherwise update us after the test!

JazzysMom

For me my symptoms leading to dx were always a digestive issue. I wasnt dx until 7 years old after allergy testing for tons of things. Many CFers dont present "symptoms" with their lungs right away. The bowel movements or blockages are often the first sign of something wrong, but if the CFer happens to be pancreatic sufficient then even those signs wont appear. This is an example of WHY CF screening is so important. To catch the ones that no "obvious" signs appear immediately. Good Luck and if you have more ?? please ask, otherwise update us after the test!

JazzysMom

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS's symptoms showed up almost immediately -- he was born with an intestinal blockage a couple of weeks early due to meconium illeus. Needed digestive enzymes taken with meals. Doctor explained that CFers are born with normal lungs; however, with infections, sticky mucus, etc. the lungs can become damaged -- thus the importance of being proactive, practicing good lung care (CPT).

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS's symptoms showed up almost immediately -- he was born with an intestinal blockage a couple of weeks early due to meconium illeus. Needed digestive enzymes taken with meals. Doctor explained that CFers are born with normal lungs; however, with infections, sticky mucus, etc. the lungs can become damaged -- thus the importance of being proactive, practicing good lung care (CPT).

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

ktsmom

Our daughter's GI symptoms really kicked in at age 2 and she didn't get diagnosed until August 2006. Prior, though, she had some milder symptoms but no one connected the dots. I hope the testing provides clear-cut answers. Please come back and post if you have any other questions. Good luck.

ktsmom

Our daughter's GI symptoms really kicked in at age 2 and she didn't get diagnosed until August 2006. Prior, though, she had some milder symptoms but no one connected the dots. I hope the testing provides clear-cut answers. Please come back and post if you have any other questions. Good luck.

ktsmom

M

Mommafirst

My daughter was born with a meconium plug (intestinal blockage) which is considered a CF symptom -- otherwise she is not showing symptoms at 13 months. I think every Cf child is different and symptoms can present as time goes by.

M

Mommafirst

My daughter was born with a meconium plug (intestinal blockage) which is considered a CF symptom -- otherwise she is not showing symptoms at 13 months. I think every Cf child is different and symptoms can present as time goes by.

M

Mommafirst

Nicole

The first indication that Danny had CF was while I was pregnant with him. At my 20 week ultrasound the Dr saw echogenic bowel, a strong indicator of CF. He was born with meconium ileus and was put on enzymes, meds and started CPT right away.

Nicole

The first indication that Danny had CF was while I was pregnant with him. At my 20 week ultrasound the Dr saw echogenic bowel, a strong indicator of CF. He was born with meconium ileus and was put on enzymes, meds and started CPT right away.