Fish oils and CF

anonymous

We haven't used fish oils but we were told that the Canadian CF Foundation recommends at least 2 meals per week of cold water fish for the omega-3. This includes salmon & trout as examples.

scarlett

Caroline, did you read the article in the Boston globe? My mom has been pressing me to take fish oil for a long time and even more so lately. I find the capsules really gross. I do try to eat a lot of fish as it's supposed to be really good for your skin, according to Dr. Perricone.

anonymous

Fish oils are helpful because of the Omega-3 fatty acids, and DHA. I take DHA supplements that i get at bread and circus every day, i also try to eat a lot of fish. The article was just in the boston globe last week, you guys should read it, it would be online. very interesting.

anonymous

Omega 3s are great because they are supposed to reduce inflamation (they also help the heart and cells and other things, but I figure inflamation is the biggest concern for CFers), BUT if you are taking supplements of fish oils you must be careful. When taking supplements you want to be careful not to take too many resulting in a toxicity (either of mercury, A or D) If you are taking supplements or eating excessive amounts of fish look out for these symptoms which could be a result of a toxicity:fatigue,dry itchy skin, brittle hair or loss of hair, brittle nails, inability to concentrate, and joint pain. Non CFers can also get a toxicity of vit A and D when taking these supplements, but I am not sure if that applies to CFers cause we usually do not get enough of these vitamins...Oh and if you are taking them in pill form make sure that the fish they use are from a clean source and not bottom fish or fish that live at the bottoms of lakes or oceans....they are supposed to have higher levels of mercury, I am assuming it is because the fish towards the bottom of the lake are larger than those at the top. It should say the source of the fish on the bottle. You can get omega 3s from non fish sources too like walnuts. Anyway just figure I would let you know about the risks so you can be more educated in your decision!Emily 19/wCF

anonymous

scarlettI haven't read the article in the Boston Globe but my boyfriend (he's the one with CF) beat me to it. So I'm going to read it for myself now. The reason, I started this topic is because I get emails from various CF sources about new research etc and scientists have recently found an imbalance in fatty acids AA and DHA (contained in fish oil) in CFers and in CF carriers which they didn't know about. Anyway here's the most recent link I have (although there has been a lot of research done on fish oils before this). What do you think? Sounds promising.htttp://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/Stories/0,1413,106~4994~1945155,00.htmlCaroline

anonymous

The deficiency that they have found in CF people is that they have too much AA and too little DHA. My boyfriend is going to try DHA supplementation with algae-derived DHA and I'll get back to you all to let you know how it goes.C