Foods and their relation to CF symptoms

Michiel101

Hi all,

Over the years, I have started noticing that (not) eating certain foods and drinks has a strong influence on my CF related (and some non-related) symptoms. At this moment, I do not take food supplements such as pancreatic enzymes because my doctor told me I do not need them, according to him my digestion is still working properly.

For example, when I eat brown beans from chili concarne the next day I wake up I feel noticeably more fit, I cough up a lot less mucus and my nose which is normally always a bit clogged in the morning feels much clearer.

Other foods which also have positive influence on these symptoms are eggs, fish, oily Mediterranean foods such as tapenade from tomatoes or olives, pastas and pizza's (but not too often) and potatoes.

Foods and drinks that worsen my symptoms are eating fast foods or foods with low nutrition for over more than 2 -3 days (duh), drinking wine (even 1 glass can have me getting up in the morning with a bad cough, I do not have this problem with most other alcoholic beverages), vinegar, sour fruit drinks, and eating dishes with excessive meat and lots of rice / pasta for more than 3 - 4 days in a row.

Have you also experienced that (not) eating certain foods helps your symptoms and what ones are those?

Thanks!

Michiel101

Hi all,

Over the years, I have started noticing that (not) eating certain foods and drinks has a strong influence on my CF related (and some non-related) symptoms. At this moment, I do not take food supplements such as pancreatic enzymes because my doctor told me I do not need them, according to him my digestion is still working properly.

For example, when I eat brown beans from chili concarne the next day I wake up I feel noticeably more fit, I cough up a lot less mucus and my nose which is normally always a bit clogged in the morning feels much clearer.

Other foods which also have positive influence on these symptoms are eggs, fish, oily Mediterranean foods such as tapenade from tomatoes or olives, pastas and pizza's (but not too often) and potatoes.

Foods and drinks that worsen my symptoms are eating fast foods or foods with low nutrition for over more than 2 -3 days (duh), drinking wine (even 1 glass can have me getting up in the morning with a bad cough, I do not have this problem with most other alcoholic beverages), vinegar, sour fruit drinks, and eating dishes with excessive meat and lots of rice / pasta for more than 3 - 4 days in a row.

Have you also experienced that (not) eating certain foods helps your symptoms and what ones are those?

Thanks!

Michiel101

Hi all,

Thanks!

Michiel101

Hi all,

Thanks!

Michiel101

Hi all,

Thanks!

OperaMama

Have you seen the laughable but insulting ads on the side of Google things, "What doctors don't want you to know about CF" or "Cure your CF forever" ? Some of those are about the low acid/high alkaline diets. (Which sounds slightly akin to the eat-by-your-bloodtype ones). And yet, some stomachs are much more sensitive to acids-- which is not the same as acidic taste. Anyhow, with little effort you can look into some of this and test it on yourself. I've eliminated coffee and wine and most refined sugar of any kind and noticed an improvement. I feel like an old hippie vegetarian kinda!

Anyhow, just a thought. Check into Foody's site for other interesting nutritional approaches to life. Everything does not have to rely on pharmaceuticals instead of changes in diet...

OperaMama

Have you seen the laughable but insulting ads on the side of Google things, "What doctors don't want you to know about CF" or "Cure your CF forever" ? Some of those are about the low acid/high alkaline diets. (Which sounds slightly akin to the eat-by-your-bloodtype ones). And yet, some stomachs are much more sensitive to acids-- which is not the same as acidic taste. Anyhow, with little effort you can look into some of this and test it on yourself. I've eliminated coffee and wine and most refined sugar of any kind and noticed an improvement. I feel like an old hippie vegetarian kinda!

Anyhow, just a thought. Check into Foody's site for other interesting nutritional approaches to life. Everything does not have to rely on pharmaceuticals instead of changes in diet...

OperaMama

OperaMama

OperaMama

mamerth

I have just changed my diet a couple of years ago (had gall bladder removed) {low fat}and changed it even more recently. I eat food high in vitamin K. No food coloring, very little preservatives and limit my refined sugars. I have less digestive problems due to the low fat diet and the missing gall bladder. I am still waiting to see the affects from the no food coloring and low preservatives... trying to be patient.

mamerth

I have just changed my diet a couple of years ago (had gall bladder removed) {low fat}and changed it even more recently. I eat food high in vitamin K. No food coloring, very little preservatives and limit my refined sugars. I have less digestive problems due to the low fat diet and the missing gall bladder. I am still waiting to see the affects from the no food coloring and low preservatives... trying to be patient.

mamerth

mamerth

mamerth