Green smoothies, also bacteria article

Melissa75

Administrator
I made my first ever green smoothie (frozen kale, frozen berries in the blender) yesterday. I had a maybe 12 oz glass of it yesterday and another today. I'm thinking these may not be the right thing for me because I've had liquid #2s last evening and today. No cramping or bad gas though.

For those of you who juice or do these smoothie things, would the the bananas I failed to add make the difference? I'm going to try adding them, drinking less of the stuff, and give it a more time. I use plenty of veggies in my general cooking, so if this doesn't work out, I won't be devastated.

I'm curious about other people's experiences in with juicing/smoothies.

Also, did anyone read this article--front page of NYTimes magazine--about our bodies bacterial world? It was fascinating and has a lot of implications for people who have to be on antibiotics all the time. Made me want to figure out which probiotic the article referred to that was the ONLY one in a study of several brands that actually contained what it claimed to contain.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/m...e-up-your-microbiome.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

baseballfrank

I would definitely add bananas. Also don't use frozen veggies or fruit. Use fresh whenever you can. I use fresh spinach, kale, red chard, and spinach. Too much sugar added in frozen fruit. Buy fresh berries in bulk, and then freeze them. Much cheaper too. Don't limit yourself. There are hundreds of combinations you can use. strawberries, rasberries, blackberries, apples, kiwi, plum, peach. . . Experiment with all to see the taste you like. Many people on the forum recommend using red cabbage as well. Have fun!

Melissa75

Administrator
Frank,
Thanks for the tips. I like the flavor of red cabbage so that's going in next time. The berries I had were not sweet at all. Maybe some brands add sugar and other don't.
I love fresh veggies when I cook or make salads, but frozen is cheap! Also I'd heard that often the produce is frozen so fast after harvest that the vitamin content is higher than fresh. What do you think? Does the smoothie world think otherwise? I bet there's a shop called Smoothie World... :)