Has anyone gone on a teen travel program?

anonymous

I'd like to take a teen trip next summer, like other kids do, but don't know how I'd manage my treatments. (I use an acapella, and take Pulmozyme, which needs to be refrigerated) Is this just something I can't do because of my CF? Or have others found a way?

Emily65Roses

I don't know what a teen travel program is... but you should be able to go. They legally cannot turn you away because of the CF. Just contact the people and find out how to take care of the special needs you have, in order to be able to go.

NoDayButToday

Teen tours or teen travel programs are basically like traveling summer camp, you go to a specific place and sight see, do activities etc. etc.

Liza

Hi, Having CF should not restrict your ability to travel if you are in good health. (dont every one jump on me for using that phrase, you know what I mean). If you are planning to travel out of the country you/your parents would want to know what type of emergency medical care will be available. You will want to get an OK from your doctors. Traveling with Pulmozyme is not too big of a problem unless you are back packing or going to be away for more than a couple of weeks. Only because of how much meds. you're going to have to carry. You should have access to ice if you are staying in a hotel. Just store it in a small cooler with ice in a baggie. Although ice isn't normally used in drinks in European countries you can ask for some and simply tell them it is for medicine. You would need to be sure your breathing machine is dual voltage if you are traveling to another country. Then get an adapter for the country/ies you'll be traveling too. Take extra adapters as they are not easily found once you are over there, (except the airport). We traveled all over Europe while living in Germany. My daughter went as far east as Istanbul, that's where we needed that extra adapter. We have never not taken a trip because of CF. I hope you get to go on your trip, you'll have a great time and make wonderful memories.

Liza
(mom of 2teen girls w/CF)