Having a baby

Jo20784

hiya guys i was wondering if there are any people on here who have had abaies and i wanted to know how it affected your CF . as one day i hope to have a baby but i am scared cos i dont know how it will affect my CF thanx from Jo 20 uk/wcf

anonymous

Jo,

Look back a few on some of the topics posted on adults and families. There are a lot of threads out there about this subject.

Julie

anonymous

HI,
I am 26w/CF and I had my daughter about 2 months ago. I was my healthiest while I was pregnant and I am still doing great. I have not been on any meds for over a year. The only thing I do is Tobi and albuterol. Pregnancy is the most wonderful experience if your doctor gives you the okay. Plus, my husband is very supportive. If you would like to chat, email me. jeffandalaina@yahoo.com
Alaina

Emmie

Sorry, can't help much as have never had a baby! But I believe that here in the UK the doctors don't advise a person with CF to get pregnant if they have an FEV1 below 60%. I do know 3 other people who post on the UK CF Trust forums who have had babies, and who I'm sure would be happy to talk through their experiences with you. Good Luck!

anonymous

I HAVE CF AND I HAD A BABY ON HALLOWEEN 03 AND I WAS THE HEALTHIEST ALSO WHILE I WAS PREGNATE I WAS NOT SICK I DIDNT HAVE MORNING SICKNESS OR ANYTHING THE ONLY THING THAT HAPPEND THAT WAS BAD WAS MY BACK WENT OUT A COUPLE OF TIMES. I GAINED 33 POUNDS WHILE PREGNATE IT WAS SO GREAT BECAUSE I LOOKED SO HEALTHY AND I FELT SO GOOD. SO IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU NEED TO TALK YOU CAN E-MAIL ME @ PRINCESSRRL18@AOL.COM. IT IS NOT A SCARY THING IT IS A GREAT AND WONDERFUL THING.

I'm getting married in May and we want to start trying for a baby soon after. I understand how it's hard to get pregnant with CF, but I want to know if once you do get pregnant, is it hard to keep the baby full term as well? Is there a higher chance of losing the baby because of the CF? Also, my PFT's are at about 55% when I'm healthy and I go into the hospital about twice a year. Im generally very active - I work full time as a server at a restaurant and I go to school full time. I want to know what happens if I were to get sick while I'm pregnant; I could imagine that IV meds wouldn't be good for the baby, so what do the docs do to kill the bugs?

anonymous

Im a 20 y/o CF patient(19 at the time) and i just had a baby in Aug 04. There were only to things wrong with me during the pregnancy...bad back....i have that anyways....and i had gestational diabetes...that sucked big time. BUT otherwise being pregnant helped my CF. before i got pregnant my CF was more mild than most CF patients i was and still am very thankful that i am so healthy. before i was pregnant my PFT was 85% or somewhere around there. while i was pregnant it was in the high 90's. the key to me being so healthy when i was pregnant is that i walked 3 times a day...for 15 minutes after each meal. plus i ate very healthy. the most i gained was 20 pounds. I asked God to help keep me and my now beautiful son healthy and he did. my son was 7lbs. 10ozs. at birth. he might have weighed a little less if i hadnt indulged a few times on eating things that were high in carbohydrates. my advice is to walk 3 times...or even 2 times is good...a day and watch what you eat (count your carbs....talk to a dietician to help you). do that and you will be very healthy(i hope). Well that is all i can think of for now. Good Luck and God Bless!!

Danielle 20 w/Cf Corona, Ca

anonymous

I am curious to know what age yu guys were when you had your babies. I'm 23 and in very good health. It's just that right now I am in college (genetics major) and my boyfriend is just getting his career started. We want children it's just that right now is not the best time. We are just wondering how long we will be able to wait to start our family.

anonymous

i used to go to Long Beach but they were rude to me and my parents so now i go to a GREAT CF doc in downtown L.A., Dr. Joseph Lynch. He is so awesome.

vickysmommy

Hi, I just had a baby 4 months ago and I have had CF since birth. I got sick twice during my pregnancy. First at 3 months then at 8. Both times I had to get IV treatments. There is nothing wrong with my baby because of it. I know exactly what your going through though with all the worry. I did all that too. My condition basically stayed the same. My baby was a month early. She was born at the time I was sick in the hospital but she was a good 5 pounds 9 ounces.

vickysmommy

I think if your in good health and your CF is under control, then you have nothing to worry about. Like me, I got pregnant and now have a 4 month old, I was in alright health I cant say I was in the best. But I'm doing fine now<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="mailto:vickysmommy1@aol.com">Text</a>

serendipity730

Hi,
I am surprised to see so many CF mom, that's great! Best of luck to all of you! I am 22 and getting married in a little over a year. I figure that I will probably start trying a year or so after I have been married, so probably around 25. I want to just enjoy life with just the two of us first.

anonymous

I have am 30years old, I have had 3 babies. 2 were invitro(cf mucus on cervix makes it harder to get pregnant) Last one was a major surprise...It takes it's toll, but to me worth it. My pft's went from
(fev1)70 to in the 40-50 range. I was on bedrest, and had pancreas problems too. I would say to really think about, and also see how supportive your family is. had to make sure my husband was okay to single Dad it. It is also complicated trying to raise kids and in the Hospital for a month or so. Childcare is a big issue. Think First! If it happens, enjoy and cherish every moment. I know I do!

Dea

Im also a mom with CF. I am 31 and have a beautiful almost 7 yr old daughter! She is the light of my life! My lung function was in the low 80s when I became pregnant. Im now in the low 70s..so still doing ok. I did get CF related diabetes within 6 months after having her...but she was worth it!
Dea

anonymous

I am 33 yrs old with CF and decided years ago to NOT have a child. How do you all keep up with them? It takes soooo much to keep myself healthy and feeling good, I can not imagine trying to take care of a child. What if the child gets sick? HOw do you all get enough rest????