HELP! My 10yr old is refusing to do airway clearance

S

Swallowtail66

First of all, I suggest not letting people explain what may happen if she doesn't do her clearance. We allowed a special psychologist to talk to our daughter who wasn't cooperating and she became very depressed about what her life may be like. It took years to clear that depressed outlook. CF doesn't have to be so horrible and he used fear to try and motivate her. It had the opposite effect.

Second, she loved the internet so we put the vest near the computer and as long as she strapped in, she had the internet. Worked like a charm. No fight. I did have a security code on the internet so there was not cheating! We had a trampoline and sometimes I would take her out and jump her until we were both to tired to go. It was wonderful fun. If the little one was around we put her in the middle and let her run and jump, too. We had that protective ring around it. We also had a pool and swimming is good exercise. We would let her trade off a good jump session or an hour in the pool for one of her vest sessions. A little flexibility won't hurt her in the long run. You are in control and she is a kid, but you don't want to fight about anymore things that you have to...the teen years are still ahead of you and there will be plenty of things to fight about that have nothing to do with CF, so choose your battles wisely, avoid them when possible. Good luck.