help with getting started

mikefab

Hi everyone,

I'm a freshman in college this year and pretty much haven't done any sports since last spring. My PFT's have dramatically decreased to 45% FEV1 and I feel like I will never be able to get my old lung capacity back but I want to give working out a chance to see if i can recover at least some of what has been lost. So my question is how did you guys start working out at the gym and what exercises are the best for CF'ers? My lack of motivation to get to a gym is one of my biggest obstacles and also having no clue where I should start really discourages me. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mikefab

Hi everyone,

I'm a freshman in college this year and pretty much haven't done any sports since last spring. My PFT's have dramatically decreased to 45% FEV1 and I feel like I will never be able to get my old lung capacity back but I want to give working out a chance to see if i can recover at least some of what has been lost. So my question is how did you guys start working out at the gym and what exercises are the best for CF'ers? My lack of motivation to get to a gym is one of my biggest obstacles and also having no clue where I should start really discourages me. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mikefab

Hi everyone,
<br />
<br />I'm a freshman in college this year and pretty much haven't done any sports since last spring. My PFT's have dramatically decreased to 45% FEV1 and I feel like I will never be able to get my old lung capacity back but I want to give working out a chance to see if i can recover at least some of what has been lost. So my question is how did you guys start working out at the gym and what exercises are the best for CF'ers? My lack of motivation to get to a gym is one of my biggest obstacles and also having no clue where I should start really discourages me. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

VikaMaya

Well what are you waiting for go start Playing a game or join a Gym..... Surely are the best options for you..... Dont get discouraged just go and move on......

VikaMaya

Well what are you waiting for go start Playing a game or join a Gym..... Surely are the best options for you..... Dont get discouraged just go and move on......

VikaMaya

R

rainsmom

just jog jog jog then run run run either outside or on a tredmill. what about an intermural sports team in college. Find a workout buddie who will be dedicated so when you arent they will push. my daughter is 15 and plays bball and runs track. I cant explain how much better of a job sports do than her vest treatments. sometimes when she is having issues she coughs her guts up but just keeps going. Her doctor stresses everytime we see him over and over that she has to do physical activity everyday. So Good luck and get started :}

R

rainsmom

just jog jog jog then run run run either outside or on a tredmill. what about an intermural sports team in college. Find a workout buddie who will be dedicated so when you arent they will push. my daughter is 15 and plays bball and runs track. I cant explain how much better of a job sports do than her vest treatments. sometimes when she is having issues she coughs her guts up but just keeps going. Her doctor stresses everytime we see him over and over that she has to do physical activity everyday. So Good luck and get started :}

R

rainsmom

CFcarebear

You should get the app "Couch to 5K" if you have an iphone or ipod. It is awesome! It starts with alternating 1 minute of running with a minute of walking. The whole program is about 10 weeks or so. The coolest thing is that once you you finish the program, you can run 30 minutes straight and run a 5K event! A 5K is 3.1 miles. I started this program in January 2010 and I have STUCK with it! I am now doing the "Bridge to 10K" app which starts right where the "Couch to 5K" ends. My hubby (32 w/CF) is now wanting to try it! He is a former gymnast (competed college gymnastics at University of Oklahoma) and it is CRAZY how much his lung function declined after graduating from college. He was doing about 5 hours/day of rigorous training. With that said, exercise is so important and I know that you agree. My husband has had numerous surgeries because of gymnastics and he is afraid running will flare up his knees, but the other day he said "Oh well, what's one more surgery? I want to start running!!" Good luck!!! You can do it!!!!!

CFcarebear

You should get the app "Couch to 5K" if you have an iphone or ipod. It is awesome! It starts with alternating 1 minute of running with a minute of walking. The whole program is about 10 weeks or so. The coolest thing is that once you you finish the program, you can run 30 minutes straight and run a 5K event! A 5K is 3.1 miles. I started this program in January 2010 and I have STUCK with it! I am now doing the "Bridge to 10K" app which starts right where the "Couch to 5K" ends. My hubby (32 w/CF) is now wanting to try it! He is a former gymnast (competed college gymnastics at University of Oklahoma) and it is CRAZY how much his lung function declined after graduating from college. He was doing about 5 hours/day of rigorous training. With that said, exercise is so important and I know that you agree. My husband has had numerous surgeries because of gymnastics and he is afraid running will flare up his knees, but the other day he said "Oh well, what's one more surgery? I want to start running!!" Good luck!!! You can do it!!!!!

CFcarebear