hemoptysis and pregnancy

LouLou

My hemoptysis has definitely decreased since being pregnant.
Due to my hemoptysis I have declined getting an epidural.
In order to birth with an epidural you have to be on your butt. Yes there are 'walking epidurals' but my hospital says that rarely does a woman have enough strength to bear weight. Positions such as being on all 4's, squatting are all not possible with an epidural. Hemoptysis for me is triggered on my back and although I would not be in a flat position with the epidural I don't want to take the risk.
I want to be able to get into any position I need to to keep my cf happy (relatively) and under control. Not to mention a position that is conducive to laboring.
This can only be achieved - in my situation - if I do not have an epidural.
I will meet with the anesthesialogist at 32 weeks to hear all of my 'pain management' options at which point it will be put in my chart what I want.

For me everything with pregnancy needs to be weighed for the risk/benefit ratio.
The only 'benefits' I have heard are: 1)to reduce pain 2)because 90% of 1st time moms do it (and it's what the hospital staff is most used to) 3)so I can concentrate on my breathing (how do they figure this?).
I think 2 & 3 are rediculous and not benefits at all - not to mention all of risk (increased chance of blood pressure dropping, increased risk of c-section, increased chance of hemoptysis (my specific positionally based triggered hemoptysis (not sure all hemoptysis sufferers have same situation), lack of control due to immobility, risk of lung sensation loss, and others).

Thanks Wanderlost for helping me in my fight for no epidural! The doctor told me it was ultimately my decision that they would arm me with my options at the anesthesiologist meeting and then what ever I decided from there was fine by them. That being said they are not totally convinced that the being on my butt on my back would trigger the hemoptysis but then again why would they. It's not like they've ever experienced a bleed and since not all cf patients have hemoptysis, it's not even a common thing for them to deal with.

mom2lillian

I did not have any hemoptysis with pregnaancy which is abnormal for me. I normally will have bouts of bleeding about 4 times a year or so. I am successsfully breastfeeding and have not had any problems but am pancreateic sufficient with not problem gaining weight.

Also wanted to say to Lou Lou that I commend your natural birth plan. This was my desire as well & I know a lady with CF who has had 2 natural births so I knew it was possible, my dr tried to persuade me to get automatic epidural and I declined. HOwever that being said the best advice about labor I got was to read all I could about every option including c-section just because you never know. In my case my BP got high last week pregnancy and in hospital I had tolay on my left side during labor or it went too high and set of alarms, then they had to put in internal monitors which are very uncomfortable and limit your movement. After about 10 hours of laying on my left side in pitocin induced labor they still recommended epidural as it may help my BP go down so I said ok well it was horrible for me as my BP dropped through floor and my daughter decelled but we came back only to have it happen again for another reason and I ended up with emergency c-section they found that her head and shoulder were wedged and coudl not have come out properly and my placenta was calcified due to the gestational diabetes and was not helping her cope with stress labor. Anyway I am telling you all this because I was 100% the biggest natural birth person and it did not work otu for me I had to be induced at 40 weeks, I ended up with epidural and c-section. My doctor later said she was afraid of that as it seems very few want natural and the longer the list desires and planning you have the less according to what you want it seems it goes so just try to keep an open mind if something doesnt go right as in the end my daughter was healthy and perfect and that was all I cared about and the c-section wasnt as bad as i feared . best of luck to you, i hope it goes perfect!

mom2lillian

I did not have any hemoptysis with pregnaancy which is abnormal for me. I normally will have bouts of bleeding about 4 times a year or so. I am successsfully breastfeeding and have not had any problems but am pancreateic sufficient with not problem gaining weight.

Also wanted to say to Lou Lou that I commend your natural birth plan. This was my desire as well & I know a lady with CF who has had 2 natural births so I knew it was possible, my dr tried to persuade me to get automatic epidural and I declined. HOwever that being said the best advice about labor I got was to read all I could about every option including c-section just because you never know. In my case my BP got high last week pregnancy and in hospital I had tolay on my left side during labor or it went too high and set of alarms, then they had to put in internal monitors which are very uncomfortable and limit your movement. After about 10 hours of laying on my left side in pitocin induced labor they still recommended epidural as it may help my BP go down so I said ok well it was horrible for me as my BP dropped through floor and my daughter decelled but we came back only to have it happen again for another reason and I ended up with emergency c-section they found that her head and shoulder were wedged and coudl not have come out properly and my placenta was calcified due to the gestational diabetes and was not helping her cope with stress labor. Anyway I am telling you all this because I was 100% the biggest natural birth person and it did not work otu for me I had to be induced at 40 weeks, I ended up with epidural and c-section. My doctor later said she was afraid of that as it seems very few want natural and the longer the list desires and planning you have the less according to what you want it seems it goes so just try to keep an open mind if something doesnt go right as in the end my daughter was healthy and perfect and that was all I cared about and the c-section wasnt as bad as i feared . best of luck to you, i hope it goes perfect!

mom2lillian

wanderlost

I think Nicole is right, you should be aware of all the possibilities that can happen during labor. Sometimes surgery is unavoidable. And, a healthy baby in the end is definitely what is important.

That being said, when you are informed, you will know when and when not c-sections are necessary (often "big" babies are deliveered by c-section, usually unnecessary - and first time moms have the highest c-section rate of all).

In many cases they are unavoidable, by no means am I downplaying the importantce of that . I am just saying, in many other cases, they are avoidable if that option isn't desirable to the mother. Inform yourself and arm yourself with knowledge!

wanderlost

I think Nicole is right, you should be aware of all the possibilities that can happen during labor. Sometimes surgery is unavoidable. And, a healthy baby in the end is definitely what is important.

That being said, when you are informed, you will know when and when not c-sections are necessary (often "big" babies are deliveered by c-section, usually unnecessary - and first time moms have the highest c-section rate of all).

In many cases they are unavoidable, by no means am I downplaying the importantce of that . I am just saying, in many other cases, they are avoidable if that option isn't desirable to the mother. Inform yourself and arm yourself with knowledge!

wanderlost