How can I get my son to gain more weight

jasonterriallen

My son has a gtube, he hated it at first and now it's just there, he doesnt even think about it until bedtime. He has the healthiest appitite I've ever seen, He can eat more than a grown man! But he runs so much can't keep that kid sitting down for more than 5 minutes at a time! We put the gtube in last Jan and I was so scared! I'm glad we did it though, so he doesnt have to eat 24/7, although my litte piggy does anyway. He weighs 60lbs and is 10 years old, they still say he is under weight. We give him high calorie meals, plus he gets 2,325 cals from 2 scandi shakes and his tube a day/night. Somedays he'll have an extra scandi shake or 2.

His Biological father is skin and bones, and my son looks exactly like him. The Dr.'s haven't seen his father since my son was a baby. I wonder sometimes if this is just the way his body is, and supposed to be thin like that side of his family.

anonymous

ask your docs about humane growth hormone therapy, also lecithin and taurine which are supplements that help the body break down and absorb fats. These things have helped my child, ask your docs first.

anonymous

ask your docs about humane growth hormone therapy, also lecithin and taurine which are supplements that help the body break down and absorb fats. These things have helped my child, ask your docs first.

anonymous

JRPandTJP

Have you considered probiotics (acidophilus)? Culterelle is a good product and one cap a day can really help the gut absorb nutrients and it reduces inflammation in the gut as well. Also, you can make your own high calorie shakes and smoothies without dairy just to vary the protein sources (too much dairy can be hard on some people and actually cause inflammatory responses). My son happens to have a dairy sentativity and can't do it at all, so I've had to be creative with adding fat in other ways. We try to make him 5-6 meals a day with not alot of liquids in between (lots of drinks before or during meals reduces the amoung our son eats so I offer it after he is done).

We have also seen a much better gain and growth curve since he started GSH therapy. We do inhaled GSH 2x daily along with his vest. He isn't currently on any nebs and doesn't have any lung issues (other than staph). He cultured PA once and after the TOBI treatment we started the GSH. I feel this is the best decision we made for him. Not sure what your son's lung involvement is, but I am happy to foward some links to research if you're interested in it (PM me).

Our son also take Taurine and magnesium (for acidity) as well. We are big into natural and alternative therapies. Seeing a naturaopathic doctor can be very beneficial in balancing the biochemistry of the body and can offer a neat perspective in addition to the CF clinic approach (though important as well).

Just some ideas...

Jody

PS He is a cutey!

JRPandTJP

Have you considered probiotics (acidophilus)? Culterelle is a good product and one cap a day can really help the gut absorb nutrients and it reduces inflammation in the gut as well. Also, you can make your own high calorie shakes and smoothies without dairy just to vary the protein sources (too much dairy can be hard on some people and actually cause inflammatory responses). My son happens to have a dairy sentativity and can't do it at all, so I've had to be creative with adding fat in other ways. We try to make him 5-6 meals a day with not alot of liquids in between (lots of drinks before or during meals reduces the amoung our son eats so I offer it after he is done).

We have also seen a much better gain and growth curve since he started GSH therapy. We do inhaled GSH 2x daily along with his vest. He isn't currently on any nebs and doesn't have any lung issues (other than staph). He cultured PA once and after the TOBI treatment we started the GSH. I feel this is the best decision we made for him. Not sure what your son's lung involvement is, but I am happy to foward some links to research if you're interested in it (PM me).

Our son also take Taurine and magnesium (for acidity) as well. We are big into natural and alternative therapies. Seeing a naturaopathic doctor can be very beneficial in balancing the biochemistry of the body and can offer a neat perspective in addition to the CF clinic approach (though important as well).

Just some ideas...

Jody

PS He is a cutey!

JRPandTJP

Just some ideas...

Jody

PS He is a cutey!

ste

Hi I'm the mom of a 18months cf daughter and I m really interested
in gsh.can u send me the links u were talkin about??'thanks

ste

ste

Ann06

It sounds like it may just be heredity. If you husband is so skinny, then he may take after him.

I give my son lots of yogurt drinks and lately he's been eating the CLIFF bars. He seemed to gain about 2 lbs eating those bars at school for a snack. I would try a high protein bar and some type of high calorie drink.

Ann06

It sounds like it may just be heredity. If you husband is so skinny, then he may take after him.

I give my son lots of yogurt drinks and lately he's been eating the CLIFF bars. He seemed to gain about 2 lbs eating those bars at school for a snack. I would try a high protein bar and some type of high calorie drink.

Ann06