How do you travel with tobi & pulmozyme?

nmw0615

Every time I've flown with meds, I just used one of the ice packs they came with in a plastic bag with the meds, the prescription taped on the bag, and then wrapped it all up in some of my clothes as extra insulation. My flights are usually only a couple hours, but this worked when I flew to Italy (7-8 hour flight) and I just put them in the refrigerator as soon as I got to the hotel.

nmw0615

Every time I've flown with meds, I just used one of the ice packs they came with in a plastic bag with the meds, the prescription taped on the bag, and then wrapped it all up in some of my clothes as extra insulation. My flights are usually only a couple hours, but this worked when I flew to Italy (7-8 hour flight) and I just put them in the refrigerator as soon as I got to the hotel.

Incomudrox

For what it's worth Tobi can be out of the fridge for 28 days. and if im going somewhere i just dont do pulmozyme and use HTS instead.

Incomudrox

For what it's worth Tobi can be out of the fridge for 28 days. and if im going somewhere i just dont do pulmozyme and use HTS instead.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've always used those polarpac icepacks that I'd get from CF pharmacy services and use a lunch bag cooler to carry them. They'd last forever. We once left home at 4 am and arrived in Mexico 9-10 hours later and the packs were still frozen. When we go on shorter trips in the car -- 1-4 hours, I freeze juice boxes; however, you can't fly with beverages in your carryon

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've always used those polarpac icepacks that I'd get from CF pharmacy services and use a lunch bag cooler to carry them. They'd last forever. We once left home at 4 am and arrived in Mexico 9-10 hours later and the packs were still frozen. When we go on shorter trips in the car -- 1-4 hours, I freeze juice boxes; however, you can't fly with beverages in your carryon

LReyome28

When I travel, I have the luxury of not having to take drastic measures. For my tournaments with Special Olympics, usually I am in a hotel room for Winter Games and in a refrigerator equipped dorm room for Summer Games because not only do my nebs have to be refrigerated, my insulin does too. When I go to my friends house for the weekend, I just use their fridge.

And barring a refrigerator in the dorm room, my coaches bring plenty of coolers plus I have my own diabetic cooler.

LReyome28

When I travel, I have the luxury of not having to take drastic measures. For my tournaments with Special Olympics, usually I am in a hotel room for Winter Games and in a refrigerator equipped dorm room for Summer Games because not only do my nebs have to be refrigerated, my insulin does too. When I go to my friends house for the weekend, I just use their fridge.

And barring a refrigerator in the dorm room, my coaches bring plenty of coolers plus I have my own diabetic cooler.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Similar to LReyome, we usually have fridges available where we stay; however, it's the getting there and getting the pulmozyme and when ds was younger liquid suspensions to our destination intact. So the medical grade icepacks worked the best. Especially when we travelled to warmer climates and didn't get to our hotel or vacation home for several hours. Those icepacks pretty much stay frozen over night.

Because our clinic is a 3-4 hour drive, I also bought a small thermoelectric cooler when DS was a baby to keep his meds and formula cool if we got somewhere and a fridge wasn't available.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Similar to LReyome, we usually have fridges available where we stay; however, it's the getting there and getting the pulmozyme and when ds was younger liquid suspensions to our destination intact. So the medical grade icepacks worked the best. Especially when we travelled to warmer climates and didn't get to our hotel or vacation home for several hours. Those icepacks pretty much stay frozen over night.

Because our clinic is a 3-4 hour drive, I also bought a small thermoelectric cooler when DS was a baby to keep his meds and formula cool if we got somewhere and a fridge wasn't available.

aquafish2425

When I travel with them I just don't refrigerate them, they can both be left out for up to 28 days as Incomudrox has previously stated. :mad:)

aquafish2425

When I travel with them I just don't refrigerate them, they can both be left out for up to 28 days as Incomudrox has previously stated. :mad:)

Tisha

I travel a lot!
Yes, ice packs for the pulmozyme (packed between pullovers/t-shirts to keep the temperature) and Tobi is as they say safe for 28 days outside the fridge.
Enjoy the trips!
(ps. the eFlow is the very lightest device ever, perfect for traveling!)

Tisha

I travel a lot!
Yes, ice packs for the pulmozyme (packed between pullovers/t-shirts to keep the temperature) and Tobi is as they say safe for 28 days outside the fridge.
Enjoy the trips!
(ps. the eFlow is the very lightest device ever, perfect for traveling!)

hjmomva

The first time we travelled after new security airline stuff, I packed Pulmozyme in our luggage with an ice pack... never again. Of course the luggage got lost. We did get it back, but it was about 36 hours later. The meds were ok... room temperature, but I don't take those chances anymore. Now I pack them in my purse in a baggie with just ice which I empty before boarding the plane. Onboard, I ask for more ice. For short flights, I have also done the "don't worry about it" option of not refrigerating them until we get where we're going.

hjmomva

The first time we travelled after new security airline stuff, I packed Pulmozyme in our luggage with an ice pack... never again. Of course the luggage got lost. We did get it back, but it was about 36 hours later. The meds were ok... room temperature, but I don't take those chances anymore. Now I pack them in my purse in a baggie with just ice which I empty before boarding the plane. Onboard, I ask for more ice. For short flights, I have also done the "don't worry about it" option of not refrigerating them until we get where we're going.

LReyome28

All my meds go into my Vest bag, as there is enough room for all of them, plus my nebulizer machine (having a small neb machine is cool) and my Vest. Pulmozyme, Novalog, and Lantus - I do not do the refrigeration till I get to the destination, and usually everything gets put together in the van or bottom of the bus.

LReyome28

All my meds go into my Vest bag, as there is enough room for all of them, plus my nebulizer machine (having a small neb machine is cool) and my Vest. Pulmozyme, Novalog, and Lantus - I do not do the refrigeration till I get to the destination, and usually everything gets put together in the van or bottom of the bus.