How long is boiled water sterile?

jfarel

Question, I've been reading about boiling tap water for 5 minutes to make it sterile? Here's my question? It takes at least 30 min for the water to cool enough once it's boiled to rinse my nebs in it. Do you think I can boil the water at night and cover it and it still be sterile in the morning. How long can I wait before I should consider the water warped?

jfarel

Question, I've been reading about boiling tap water for 5 minutes to make it sterile? Here's my question? It takes at least 30 min for the water to cool enough once it's boiled to rinse my nebs in it. Do you think I can boil the water at night and cover it and it still be sterile in the morning. How long can I wait before I should consider the water warped?

jfarel

tapia

My understanding of sterilizing my nebs is...

when you are done with your treatments you should rinse the out with regular tap water and mild soap. After they have been rinsed you should boil them in a pot for about 5 mins...or you can put them in a bowl of water in the microwave for about 10min...after they boil or finish in the microwave you should get some kitchen thongs to take them out of the pot or bowl and let them air dry.
You will notice white residue left on the nebs...

i use to sterilize my nebs that way...but after i posted a similar question i had great advice from people on this site. You see i did not like seeing that white residue on my nebs and i could not rinse it off because they would no longer be sterile...

So I started using bottled water (but many recommended the BRITA water filters, which I am sure works to) and i started getting no white residue...I also got for Christmas a baby bottle sterilizer to sterilize my nebs...and let me tell you that was the best Christmas Gift I got. So if you can't get a baby bottle sterilizer than you can definately boil but try using filtered water so you don't get that white residue.

Hope that was helpful.

tapia

when you are done with your treatments you should rinse the out with regular tap water and mild soap. After they have been rinsed you should boil them in a pot for about 5 mins...or you can put them in a bowl of water in the microwave for about 10min...after they boil or finish in the microwave you should get some kitchen thongs to take them out of the pot or bowl and let them air dry.

i use to sterilize my nebs that way...but after i posted a similar question i had great advice from people on this site. You see i did not like seeing that white residue on my nebs and i could not rinse it off because they would no longer be sterile...

So I started using bottled water (but many recommended the BRITA water filters, which I am sure works to) and i started getting no white residue...I also got for Christmas a baby bottle sterilizer to sterilize my nebs...and let me tell you that was the best Christmas Gift I got. So if you can't get a baby bottle sterilizer than you can definately boil but try using filtered water so you don't get that white residue.

Hope that was helpful.

tapia

Hope that was helpful.

jfarel

Yes, different situation though with the eflow neb. I don't want to boil it twice a day. I need sterile water to wash off the alcohol which I soak it in to sterilize. I guess if it won't wreck the neb, I wouldn't mind boiling it twice a day.

jfarel

Yes, different situation though with the eflow neb. I don't want to boil it twice a day. I need sterile water to wash off the alcohol which I soak it in to sterilize. I guess if it won't wreck the neb, I wouldn't mind boiling it twice a day.

jfarel

dasjsmum

I dont know, but I think that if you boiled water and stuck it covered in the fridge overnight at least, it should still be fine. Personally, I would renew boiled water at least every day.

dasjsmum

I dont know, but I think that if you boiled water and stuck it covered in the fridge overnight at least, it should still be fine. Personally, I would renew boiled water at least every day.

dasjsmum

Allie

we popped our nebs in the dishwasher, but you know what I'd do if I didn't have the sweet time to boil water, etc?

Ry used one of these when he had to wash stuff off while backpacking or traveling in general, I'm sure some of you will shoot me down, but it takes less than a minute to sterilize the water, it's really easy to use, and it made claening nebs while on the go worlds easier.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Testing shows that SteriPENtm meets the standard as set forth in the U.S. EPA Guide Standard and Protocol for Testing Microbiological Water Purifiers.

SteriPENtm has been shown to destroy in excess of 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.99% of viruses and 99.9% protozoa.</end quote></div>

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.hydro-photon.com/steripen_products.html">SteriPens avaliable....you can probably get them cheaper through REI outlet or something as well. </a>

I know it's something that's never been really tried, but it seemed to work for us, and I KNOW it worked for drinking water on camping trips....So, just because it's new doesn't mean it lacks total consideration, Just an idea.

Allie

we popped our nebs in the dishwasher, but you know what I'd do if I didn't have the sweet time to boil water, etc?

Ry used one of these when he had to wash stuff off while backpacking or traveling in general, I'm sure some of you will shoot me down, but it takes less than a minute to sterilize the water, it's really easy to use, and it made claening nebs while on the go worlds easier.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Testing shows that SteriPENtm meets the standard as set forth in the U.S. EPA Guide Standard and Protocol for Testing Microbiological Water Purifiers.

SteriPENtm has been shown to destroy in excess of 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.99% of viruses and 99.9% protozoa.</end quote></div>

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.hydro-photon.com/steripen_products.html">SteriPens avaliable....you can probably get them cheaper through REI outlet or something as well. </a>

I know it's something that's never been really tried, but it seemed to work for us, and I KNOW it worked for drinking water on camping trips....So, just because it's new doesn't mean it lacks total consideration, Just an idea.

Allie

LouLou

I consider water sterile when it has rolling boiled (top off) for 15 minutes. Then I use it immediately. I find the base of my Pari LC Plus' need a shot with the air compressor hose to get the water out of the small tube. My goal is for my nebs to only be wet for 30 min. Any longer and I'd worry about what Amy wrote, that the water was become non sterile on the neb and creating a breeding ground for bacteria. Prior to the rinse in sterile water I soak all neb parts in 3% hydrogen peroxide for 30 min. I have noticed steadier health since starting this routine a few years back.

LouLou

I consider water sterile when it has rolling boiled (top off) for 15 minutes. Then I use it immediately. I find the base of my Pari LC Plus' need a shot with the air compressor hose to get the water out of the small tube. My goal is for my nebs to only be wet for 30 min. Any longer and I'd worry about what Amy wrote, that the water was become non sterile on the neb and creating a breeding ground for bacteria. Prior to the rinse in sterile water I soak all neb parts in 3% hydrogen peroxide for 30 min. I have noticed steadier health since starting this routine a few years back.