How much blood for annual blood work

StevenSheehan

My 18 month old son just had his blood drawn for his annual blood check and the clinic used 10 tubes.. maybe not every one was full (difficult to monitor how much blood was taken) but that seems like a lot to me. They found the vein on the first poke so we're thankful for that.

My question is.. is that many tubes typical? No juice was offered after and later he uncharachteristally vomited at home. I'm concerned and have a call in to our clinic for more details regarding this draw. I am interested in forum opinions too. Thx.!

StevenSheehan

My 18 month old son just had his blood drawn for his annual blood check and the clinic used 10 tubes.. maybe not every one was full (difficult to monitor how much blood was taken) but that seems like a lot to me. They found the vein on the first poke so we're thankful for that.

My question is.. is that many tubes typical? No juice was offered after and later he uncharachteristally vomited at home. I'm concerned and have a call in to our clinic for more details regarding this draw. I am interested in forum opinions too. Thx.!

StevenSheehan

<br />
<br />My question is.. is that many tubes typical? No juice was offered after and later he uncharachteristally vomited at home. I'm concerned and have a call in to our clinic for more details regarding this draw. I am interested in forum opinions too. Thx.!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I think there are usually several vials drawn. Some of the vitamin levels need to be separate and not exposed to light. I do recall when DS was 6 they took 10 ml in one shot, then filled up a couple other vials.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I think there are usually several vials drawn. Some of the vitamin levels need to be separate and not exposed to light. I do recall when DS was 6 they took 10 ml in one shot, then filled up a couple other vials.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

hmw

That sounds about typical. As Liza mentioned, the vitamins need their own tubes (for example, one is wrapped because it can't get exposed to light, etc) and some of the stuff needs different culture/clotting agents added to it so may only need a small sample in it if only one test will be run with it, whereas others are full since a larger number of tests can be performed on them. It also depends on how thorough your clinic is. Emily had annual labs today and they took at least 8 vials for those, in addition to the 3 they needed for the glucose tolerance test she was getting- I've never seen so much blood taken from her at once EVER!

I don't remember her ever vomiting specifically due to labs, but after getting so much drawn at once, I think she has been tired and/or pale. We always eat at the cafeteria after labs- this time she couldn't, but she did have something to drink in the form of that icky glucose drink hehe.

hmw

That sounds about typical. As Liza mentioned, the vitamins need their own tubes (for example, one is wrapped because it can't get exposed to light, etc) and some of the stuff needs different culture/clotting agents added to it so may only need a small sample in it if only one test will be run with it, whereas others are full since a larger number of tests can be performed on them. It also depends on how thorough your clinic is. Emily had annual labs today and they took at least 8 vials for those, in addition to the 3 they needed for the glucose tolerance test she was getting- I've never seen so much blood taken from her at once EVER!

I don't remember her ever vomiting specifically due to labs, but after getting so much drawn at once, I think she has been tired and/or pale. We always eat at the cafeteria after labs- this time she couldn't, but she did have something to drink in the form of that icky glucose drink hehe.

hmw

<br />
<br />I don't remember her ever vomiting specifically due to labs, but after getting so much drawn at once, I think she has been tired and/or pale. We always eat at the cafeteria after labs- this time she couldn't, but she did have something to drink in the form of that icky glucose drink hehe.

JoshuasMom

Just as an FYI... I work in the laboratory at our local hospital. There is a maximum about of blood that should be drawn at a given time... for children it is usually anywhere between 1-2 tsp (5-10mls), this is all weight based. We swear by the maximum volume charts in our hospital. My son with CF is now 3 and has put on enough weight to have all the blood drawn at once, but in past years his "annual" CF labs had to be done in 2 separate visits to the lab. Although, it is a pain for travel and having your child stuck twice.. it can turn out to be safer in the long run!

JoshuasMom

Just as an FYI... I work in the laboratory at our local hospital. There is a maximum about of blood that should be drawn at a given time... for children it is usually anywhere between 1-2 tsp (5-10mls), this is all weight based. We swear by the maximum volume charts in our hospital. My son with CF is now 3 and has put on enough weight to have all the blood drawn at once, but in past years his "annual" CF labs had to be done in 2 separate visits to the lab. Although, it is a pain for travel and having your child stuck twice.. it can turn out to be safer in the long run!

JoshuasMom

Hi, it's the same here - about 7 or eight tubes - not all full. Also when Joanna was younger. But no vomiting - maybe it was due to stress. I also give her something to drink and eat afterwards - if there is no belly usg after. But this seems to warry dependung on who's doing the usg. Sometimes we're allowed to drink - once not - I can't seem to get a straight answere on this from my cf clinic.

Hi, it's the same here - about 7 or eight tubes - not all full. Also when Joanna was younger. But no vomiting - maybe it was due to stress. I also give her something to drink and eat afterwards - if there is no belly usg after. But this seems to warry dependung on who's doing the usg. Sometimes we're allowed to drink - once not - I can't seem to get a straight answere on this from my cf clinic.