Husband is a carrier, I am not...should our son be tested?

jenandcorey

My husband's sister has CF, so when we were trying to conceive, we had genetic testing done. He has one mutation (not sure which one), and I don't have any. I know there is a possibility that the carrier gene has been passed on to our son. How important is it to have him tested as a child? He's almost 4 years old. I know this will be an important issue when he's of child bearing age, but what about now? Any reason to find out?

jenandcorey

My husband's sister has CF, so when we were trying to conceive, we had genetic testing done. He has one mutation (not sure which one), and I don't have any. I know there is a possibility that the carrier gene has been passed on to our son. How important is it to have him tested as a child? He's almost 4 years old. I know this will be an important issue when he's of child bearing age, but what about now? Any reason to find out?

jenandcorey

jenandcorey

jenandcorey

pjspiegle

Personally, I would wait for him to make the decision as an adult. There really isn't any reason to know now and who knows, by time he is old enough to have kids, there will probably be a cure and it really won't matter at all. Its a personal decision, but there is no reason I can think of as to why he would need to be tested until and unless he chooses to later as an adult.

Just my opinion,

pjspiegle

Personally, I would wait for him to make the decision as an adult. There really isn't any reason to know now and who knows, by time he is old enough to have kids, there will probably be a cure and it really won't matter at all. Its a personal decision, but there is no reason I can think of as to why he would need to be tested until and unless he chooses to later as an adult.

Just my opinion,

pjspiegle

Just my opinion,

pjspiegle

Just my opinion,

pjspiegle

Just my opinion,

rubyroselee

My parents had my brother tested at birth, but only because they were testing him for CF as well. He is now 22 yrs old and already knows that he's a carrier. At least he already has the heads up that his girlfriend of 6+ yrs needs to be tested before they try to have children. I think it was good for him to know early, but of course my parents didn't tell him that he was a carrier until he was older when he could understand it.

rubyroselee

My parents had my brother tested at birth, but only because they were testing him for CF as well. He is now 22 yrs old and already knows that he's a carrier. At least he already has the heads up that his girlfriend of 6+ yrs needs to be tested before they try to have children. I think it was good for him to know early, but of course my parents didn't tell him that he was a carrier until he was older when he could understand it.

rubyroselee

rubyroselee

rubyroselee

folione

Unless there's some reason to think your child has CF, I agree that there seems little reason to test for being a carrier if/until he is thinking of becoming a parent himself.

That said, the gene test makes all the difference: the standard test does not catch many of the possible genes - My wife carries the standard dF508 and I tested negative as a carrier with the standard test but my son has CF...it turned out that I carry one of the oddball rare variants. When it's time for your son to get a test, if the basic test does not reveal him to carry your spouse's gene it might be worth pursuing one of the more complete tests....whatever that might be 20 or so years from now.

folione

Unless there's some reason to think your child has CF, I agree that there seems little reason to test for being a carrier if/until he is thinking of becoming a parent himself.

That said, the gene test makes all the difference: the standard test does not catch many of the possible genes - My wife carries the standard dF508 and I tested negative as a carrier with the standard test but my son has CF...it turned out that I carry one of the oddball rare variants. When it's time for your son to get a test, if the basic test does not reveal him to carry your spouse's gene it might be worth pursuing one of the more complete tests....whatever that might be 20 or so years from now.

folione

folione

folione