I need help

R

reedfamily07

This may be kind of long, so thank you for reading.

My name is Karen and my 17 month old son may have CF. In the middle of our move to Alaska (husband is military) we were told that my son carries a Delta F508 mutation. He has had chronic diarrhea since he was 11 months old, he has not gained any weight, and he has not grown any either. Our physician feels certain that our son carries one major CF mutation and a minor mutation. He has pancreatic insuffiency although it is mild. He has had two sweat tests done and we were told they were on the borderline results which could not be ignored. He wanted the full genetic sequencing done to determine if he does infact carry a second minor mutation.

Now that we're dealing with a new physicial he is refusing to do the sequencing. He feels certain that our child doesn't have CF because he doesn't present like a classic CF patient. I know he isn't a classic CF patient but they are not eliminating the possibility that his GI problems could be caused by a minor mutation. I am so stuck and frustrated and scared for my child. He has been hospitalized 3 times in his very young life because of this and we are getting nowhere fast.

Please does anyone have any advice for me? I am waiting on the results of my genetic screen due to my pregnancy. We are living in Alaska and the closest CF facility is over 400 miles away. I don't know where to turn and what to do next for the sake of my child. Thank for reading this, and thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

R

reedfamily07

My name is Karen and my 17 month old son may have CF. In the middle of our move to Alaska (husband is military) we were told that my son carries a Delta F508 mutation. He has had chronic diarrhea since he was 11 months old, he has not gained any weight, and he has not grown any either. Our physician feels certain that our son carries one major CF mutation and a minor mutation. He has pancreatic insuffiency although it is mild. He has had two sweat tests done and we were told they were on the borderline results which could not be ignored. He wanted the full genetic sequencing done to determine if he does infact carry a second minor mutation.

Now that we're dealing with a new physicial he is refusing to do the sequencing. He feels certain that our child doesn't have CF because he doesn't present like a classic CF patient. I know he isn't a classic CF patient but they are not eliminating the possibility that his GI problems could be caused by a minor mutation. I am so stuck and frustrated and scared for my child. He has been hospitalized 3 times in his very young life because of this and we are getting nowhere fast.

Please does anyone have any advice for me? I am waiting on the results of my genetic screen due to my pregnancy. We are living in Alaska and the closest CF facility is over 400 miles away. I don't know where to turn and what to do next for the sake of my child. Thank for reading this, and thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

R

reedfamily07

R

reedfamily07

R

reedfamily07

<br />
<br />My name is Karen and my 17 month old son may have CF. In the middle of our move to Alaska (husband is military) we were told that my son carries a Delta F508 mutation. He has had chronic diarrhea since he was 11 months old, he has not gained any weight, and he has not grown any either. Our physician feels certain that our son carries one major CF mutation and a minor mutation. He has pancreatic insuffiency although it is mild. He has had two sweat tests done and we were told they were on the borderline results which could not be ignored. He wanted the full genetic sequencing done to determine if he does infact carry a second minor mutation.
<br />
<br />Now that we're dealing with a new physicial he is refusing to do the sequencing. He feels certain that our child doesn't have CF because he doesn't present like a classic CF patient. I know he isn't a classic CF patient but they are not eliminating the possibility that his GI problems could be caused by a minor mutation. I am so stuck and frustrated and scared for my child. He has been hospitalized 3 times in his very young life because of this and we are getting nowhere fast.
<br />
<br />Please does anyone have any advice for me? I am waiting on the results of my genetic screen due to my pregnancy. We are living in Alaska and the closest CF facility is over 400 miles away. I don't know where to turn and what to do next for the sake of my child. Thank for reading this, and thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

JustDucky

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time getting the full sequencing from Ambry...it sounds like this doctor is misinformed about CF. You don't have to present classically to have CF. I am a good example, I wasn't diagnosed until I was something like 34, 3 years ago. It was my digestive issues along with culturing some pretty odd bacteria that CF'ers usually culture that raised red flags. My sweat test was also borderline and I carry not so common mutations (Actually, they found one mutation and one variant) I am by no means a classic CF'er. I agree with Bonniebaby, perhaps you could get your old physician to order the test or somehow communicate with the new doc why he thought a full sequencing was necessary. If he can't directly talk with your new doctor, maybe he could write a letter to him.
I hope you get somewhere with all of this, this must be extremely frustrating. Keeping you in my thoughts.
Jenn

JustDucky

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time getting the full sequencing from Ambry...it sounds like this doctor is misinformed about CF. You don't have to present classically to have CF. I am a good example, I wasn't diagnosed until I was something like 34, 3 years ago. It was my digestive issues along with culturing some pretty odd bacteria that CF'ers usually culture that raised red flags. My sweat test was also borderline and I carry not so common mutations (Actually, they found one mutation and one variant) I am by no means a classic CF'er. I agree with Bonniebaby, perhaps you could get your old physician to order the test or somehow communicate with the new doc why he thought a full sequencing was necessary. If he can't directly talk with your new doctor, maybe he could write a letter to him.
I hope you get somewhere with all of this, this must be extremely frustrating. Keeping you in my thoughts.
Jenn

JustDucky

Jenn

JustDucky

Jenn

JustDucky

<br />I hope you get somewhere with all of this, this must be extremely frustrating. Keeping you in my thoughts.
<br />Jenn

dswilson67

I am retired from the Air Force, so I know about military doctors. Do you have Tricare Prime? If so is it possible to make your primary care doctor to one that is off base? If so they probably would be more willing to do the test that need to be done to get the genetic testing done. Are you in the Fairbanks area? I used to get deployed up there all the time and it is pretty well secluded from civilization. If your son is diagonosed with CF is maybe possible for your family to get station to a place closer to a CF center, under the Exeptional Family Member Program. Might be called something else now, but that is what it used to be called when I was still in the AF. If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

Deb

dswilson67

I am retired from the Air Force, so I know about military doctors. Do you have Tricare Prime? If so is it possible to make your primary care doctor to one that is off base? If so they probably would be more willing to do the test that need to be done to get the genetic testing done. Are you in the Fairbanks area? I used to get deployed up there all the time and it is pretty well secluded from civilization. If your son is diagonosed with CF is maybe possible for your family to get station to a place closer to a CF center, under the Exeptional Family Member Program. Might be called something else now, but that is what it used to be called when I was still in the AF. If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

Deb

dswilson67

Deb

dswilson67

Deb

dswilson67

<br />
<br />Deb