IDEAS TO KEEP NEEDLE/PORT AREA DRY WHILE AT BEACH

MOME2RT

I was wondering if anyone has gone to the beach when their needle was in & what you did for prevention if any. Reece never emerges his whole body in the water anyways but I was concerned with splashes. He would def have a tank top on & would beaware that he couldnt get his port area wet.

As far as sand goes, hes not one to roll around in it, just sits on a blanket & plays with the sand toys.

What would you recomend me putting over the area to stay as dry as possible?

He had a breakdown this afternoon...he hated his needle & wished he didnt have a port cuz he cant do ANYTHING etc. swim, trampoline, ride the 4 wheeler...all of the things his buds were doing today...poor guy, I felt so bad for him. He was sobbing so bad he could hardly talk

Thanks for any ideas that you send out

MOME2RT

I was wondering if anyone has gone to the beach when their needle was in & what you did for prevention if any. Reece never emerges his whole body in the water anyways but I was concerned with splashes. He would def have a tank top on & would beaware that he couldnt get his port area wet.

As far as sand goes, hes not one to roll around in it, just sits on a blanket & plays with the sand toys.

He had a breakdown this afternoon...he hated his needle & wished he didnt have a port cuz he cant do ANYTHING etc. swim, trampoline, ride the 4 wheeler...all of the things his buds were doing today...poor guy, I felt so bad for him. He was sobbing so bad he could hardly talk

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

<br />
<br />As far as sand goes, hes not one to roll around in it, just sits on a blanket & plays with the sand toys.
<br />
<br />What would you recomend me putting over the area to stay as dry as possible?
<br />
<br />He had a breakdown this afternoon...he hated his needle & wished he didnt have a port cuz he cant do ANYTHING etc. swim, trampoline, ride the 4 wheeler...all of the things his buds were doing today...poor guy, I felt so bad for him. He was sobbing so bad he could hardly talk
<br />
<br />Thanks for any ideas that you send out
<br />

TestifyToLove

When will he need his next infusion? I personally would have home healthcare come show you how to de-access him and take it OUT for the beach. Then, if you can't re-access it yourself, I'd have home health come and re-access in time for his next infusion.

Honestly, there is no reason that he should be in tears that he can't have a normal life with a port. The point of a port is that you CAN have a normal life. It takes...45 seconds to de-access a port. Takes a bit longer to access it, but home health can teach you OR can come EVEN DURING OFF HOURS and do it for you.

When M is on IV abx, he's normally on twice a day scheduling. If that's the case, you can leave the needle at home to go to the beach. Once he's de-accessed he's got a small bump under his skin but otherwise can function like any other kid. That's what a port is supposed to be about, easy acess, no pain and NO LIFESTYLE LIMITATIONS.

TestifyToLove

When will he need his next infusion? I personally would have home healthcare come show you how to de-access him and take it OUT for the beach. Then, if you can't re-access it yourself, I'd have home health come and re-access in time for his next infusion.

Honestly, there is no reason that he should be in tears that he can't have a normal life with a port. The point of a port is that you CAN have a normal life. It takes...45 seconds to de-access a port. Takes a bit longer to access it, but home health can teach you OR can come EVEN DURING OFF HOURS and do it for you.

When M is on IV abx, he's normally on twice a day scheduling. If that's the case, you can leave the needle at home to go to the beach. Once he's de-accessed he's got a small bump under his skin but otherwise can function like any other kid. That's what a port is supposed to be about, easy acess, no pain and NO LIFESTYLE LIMITATIONS.

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

<br />
<br />Honestly, there is no reason that he should be in tears that he can't have a normal life with a port. The point of a port is that you CAN have a normal life. It takes...45 seconds to de-access a port. Takes a bit longer to access it, but home health can teach you OR can come EVEN DURING OFF HOURS and do it for you.
<br />
<br />When M is on IV abx, he's normally on twice a day scheduling. If that's the case, you can leave the needle at home to go to the beach. Once he's de-accessed he's got a small bump under his skin but otherwise can function like any other kid. That's what a port is supposed to be about, easy acess, no pain and NO LIFESTYLE LIMITATIONS.

JenDiS

dont go near the water. and if you have to be near the water than just keep it taped up with a little opening for your tubing to be accessable if you have to hook up. otherwise i would definately stay away from ocean water.

JenDiS

dont go near the water. and if you have to be near the water than just keep it taped up with a little opening for your tubing to be accessable if you have to hook up. otherwise i would definately stay away from ocean water.

JenDiS

JenDiS

JenDiS

JenDiS

ALSO

I would NOT deaccess it and then reaccess it just so there is no limitations on what your son can do.

I understand he is young and wants to play and have fun and cries but I have a port and whenever I had to have it deaccess and reaccessed more than twice in a day because it wasnt working IT HURT. ALOT. It was swollen and raw.

Also its not always easy access for everyone. And not everyone can access their child unless you truely have the will power to do it but I know everyone is different. I remember my mom tried learning how to just DEaccess it and try reaccessing it and she almost fainted because she didnt want to "cause me pain" in her eyes.

Do what you feel is best for your child. But I would strongly suggest against taking it out and putting back in just for the beach or whenever he wants to play and run around just because he cant have fun. In the end it will hurt.

JenDiS

ALSO

I would NOT deaccess it and then reaccess it just so there is no limitations on what your son can do.

I understand he is young and wants to play and have fun and cries but I have a port and whenever I had to have it deaccess and reaccessed more than twice in a day because it wasnt working IT HURT. ALOT. It was swollen and raw.

Also its not always easy access for everyone. And not everyone can access their child unless you truely have the will power to do it but I know everyone is different. I remember my mom tried learning how to just DEaccess it and try reaccessing it and she almost fainted because she didnt want to "cause me pain" in her eyes.

Do what you feel is best for your child. But I would strongly suggest against taking it out and putting back in just for the beach or whenever he wants to play and run around just because he cant have fun. In the end it will hurt.

JenDiS

ALSO

JenDiS

ALSO

JenDiS

ALSO
<br />
<br />I would NOT deaccess it and then reaccess it just so there is no limitations on what your son can do.
<br />
<br />I understand he is young and wants to play and have fun and cries but I have a port and whenever I had to have it deaccess and reaccessed more than twice in a day because it wasnt working IT HURT. ALOT. It was swollen and raw.
<br />
<br />Also its not always easy access for everyone. And not everyone can access their child unless you truely have the will power to do it but I know everyone is different. I remember my mom tried learning how to just DEaccess it and try reaccessing it and she almost fainted because she didnt want to "cause me pain" in her eyes.
<br />
<br />Do what you feel is best for your child. But I would strongly suggest against taking it out and putting back in just for the beach or whenever he wants to play and run around just because he cant have fun. In the end it will hurt.