In need of college major/career mentoring?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Before I became a mom I taught undergrads full-time at a top university and as the fall semester is fast approaching, I'm starting to miss again my interactions with students. I often had students come in to discuss majors, career options, etc. And now that I have a son with CF, I have a perspective of how that could play into educational and career choices. Soooo if anyone is interested and would like to discuss, please post or PM me!!

Imogene

Administrator
We are blessed to have you. This work is so important for our community!

Oftentimes, young students come looking for the "right" major, to find subjects that interest them, to learn more about all the topics they can explore, to find where the "unmet" needs are and where they can fit in, while studying and learning to do something they love!
Thanks for offering help in this area!

Salt and Light and Gratitude, Jeanne

devballmom

Hi, Thanks so much for offering your experienced perspective to us all here! I'm new to the forum. Just posted a thread called "setting priorities". Then read your post, and am thinking you could really help. Can you maybe check it out? MUCH appreciation!!!

65rosessamurai

Wish I had someone like you when I was in HS. I went by my parents advice to go into the electronics field because it was believed to be a cleaner environment than what I wanted to do..automotive.
Not necessarily a clean environment, but then computers weren't fully developed yet, either.

I imagine that having a son with CF would help with knowing what environments, work habits, etc. are necessary or preferred when guiding someone in the work field. Medical is really great, but with concern for cross-contamination, the profession would have to be something isolated from such risks, but won't absolutely count that field out.
I've had several work experiences myself, the last 20 years has been done overseas, so I can relate to how a profession needs to be narrowed down with so many factors involved.