Is 10% Body Fat Dangerous for a CF'er?

CameroMichael

Hello there CF Forums! I am a 15 year old guy, and I'm interested in reducing my current body fat percentage (around 19%) to more around the 10% range. I am 5'9", ~145 lbs., and free of any lung infections/issues (my FEV is ~125%, so my CF is pretty mild). My diet is ~3200 calories a day (vegetarian, so I'm cool with eggs and milk but not meat) with plenty of protein. If any of you guys could lend your expertise, I would be really grateful if you could help answer my questions! They are:

1) Is ~10% body fat safe for a CF patient? I have heard that extra fat helps to keep infections at bay, so I don't want to put myself at too huge of a risk.
2) If 10% body fat is safe for a me, what kind of diet should I have so that I may be able to obtain such a body fat percentage?
3) I don't want to lose weight, just body fat, so should I put on muscle mass and then lose body fat so that my weight doesn't decrease, or is it okay to lose body fat (and thus weight) first and then add mass?

Thanks for any help whatsoever!

Daverog75

If you reduce your body fat by working out you won't have a problem remember muscle weighs more than fat. Like you stated in #3 put on some muscle and you will lose body without losing weight.

Dave,

Twistofchaos

Hi there,

It's fine as long as you take your time to get there. Learn as much about nutrition and weightlifting as you can. Also because you are still in puberty and you want to take it slightly easy while your body is still under development, both with hard dieting and going all out with lifting.
But you have to keep in mind that there's no hurry because weightlifting is something you'll want to do for the rest of your life. It's by far the best form of exercise for CF Imho.