Is there a need?

hikingmomde

I'm toying with the idea of starting a foundation to provide funds to CF families to help with the cost of "extra" activities--program fees for swim team, soccer, gymnastics, dancing, etc--with the idea that these programs provide necessary treatment for those living with CF and they are often the first nixed from a tight budget already paying for meds, extra food, etc.
Is this something any of you would apply for or find helpful?

The broader scope of the org would be encouraging healthy and active lifestyles for families living with CF. Really all families could probably be more healthy and active, but as my husband often reminds me . . . I need to stay focused.

Any feedback or thoughts?

hikingmomde

I'm toying with the idea of starting a foundation to provide funds to CF families to help with the cost of "extra" activities--program fees for swim team, soccer, gymnastics, dancing, etc--with the idea that these programs provide necessary treatment for those living with CF and they are often the first nixed from a tight budget already paying for meds, extra food, etc.

The broader scope of the org would be encouraging healthy and active lifestyles for families living with CF. Really all families could probably be more healthy and active, but as my husband often reminds me . . . I need to stay focused.

hikingmomde

PACmommy

GREAT IDEA!!!!!! Funds are always tight in our house and I definately believe a sports atmosphere is great for kids. Physically as well as socially. Every bit helps. I was also thinking of starting a fund, but for the purchase of therapy vests. In Canada, not alot of people have them and we had a hard time purchasing one ourselves since alot of insurance agencies here won't cover it (our church bought ours). Alot of people have to raise funds themselves. I'd be very interested in hearing how your plans go.

PACmommy

GREAT IDEA!!!!!! Funds are always tight in our house and I definately believe a sports atmosphere is great for kids. Physically as well as socially. Every bit helps. I was also thinking of starting a fund, but for the purchase of therapy vests. In Canada, not alot of people have them and we had a hard time purchasing one ourselves since alot of insurance agencies here won't cover it (our church bought ours). Alot of people have to raise funds themselves. I'd be very interested in hearing how your plans go.

PACmommy

hikingmomde

I'm (sort of) blogging about getting it going and will make the blog public in a few weeks when I get some stuff moving.
SO . . . I'll keep you posted!
Thanks for the feedback.

hikingmomde

I'm (sort of) blogging about getting it going and will make the blog public in a few weeks when I get some stuff moving.
Thanks for the feedback.

hikingmomde

Thanks for the feedback.

amber682

I agree, sounds like a wonderful idea. I'll be sure to read the blog when its posted. It would be a shame that a child who could benefit from sports so much would not be able to play because the family can't afford it, because so much money goes to insurance premiums and co-pays. I know some sports can be pretty expensive because of the equipment needed to play or just the cost of the classes themselves.

amber682

I agree, sounds like a wonderful idea. I'll be sure to read the blog when its posted. It would be a shame that a child who could benefit from sports so much would not be able to play because the family can't afford it, because so much money goes to insurance premiums and co-pays. I know some sports can be pretty expensive because of the equipment needed to play or just the cost of the classes themselves.

amber682

NoExcuses

i would be afraid that the money would go to other things, when the parents claim it's for soccer, gymnastics, etc.

frankly i would rather the money go to CF research.

NoExcuses

i would be afraid that the money would go to other things, when the parents claim it's for soccer, gymnastics, etc.

NoExcuses

Landy

I think it would be a great idea!
I'm sure there are many families that could benefit from this.
If you're worried about the money going to other things, then maybe you could have a policy where you pay it directly to the Rec Center, YMCA, etc.
Anything to encourage the kids to get out & do something is great IMO.

Landy

If you're worried about the money going to other things, then maybe you could have a policy where you pay it directly to the Rec Center, YMCA, etc.

Landy

okok

I agree it sounds like a great idea. Support (monetary or otherwise) for families is something lacking from our culture in general. I think many CF families can definately use the extra assistince and that the really great thing about your idea is that it not only encourages activities that our good for CFer's health but also integrates health into with normal, fun activities. Wonderful idea!

okok

I agree it sounds like a great idea. Support (monetary or otherwise) for families is something lacking from our culture in general. I think many CF families can definately use the extra assistince and that the really great thing about your idea is that it not only encourages activities that our good for CFer's health but also integrates health into with normal, fun activities. Wonderful idea!