IV's and chest tightness

jfarel

I've been on IV's for a couple weeks now (mainly because my pft's dropped 4 percent, I didn't feel that sick and my weight was stable). I'm not coughing up much junk and not running fever's and I don't feel sick or anything.

My only complaint is that most of the time my chest is really tight and I'm still a little short of breath. I was on prednisone for 5 days about 3 weeks ago and I'm wondering if, after the IV's, I should ask my doctor about trying it again. Other still being short of breath, I'm feeling good. The prednisone really helped me a couple months ago but did not 3 weeks ago when I did it for 5 days.

I'm wondering if a stronger dose, say 30mg-40mg and a longer dose, say 2 weeks tapered down, would be something I should try. I will have to go on insulin when I take the prednisone because my sugars go crazy. I'm also osteopenic (thin bones) and that's another reasone my doctors don't like me to go on the prednisone. Do you guys think I should give it another try?

jfarel

I've been on IV's for a couple weeks now (mainly because my pft's dropped 4 percent, I didn't feel that sick and my weight was stable). I'm not coughing up much junk and not running fever's and I don't feel sick or anything.

My only complaint is that most of the time my chest is really tight and I'm still a little short of breath. I was on prednisone for 5 days about 3 weeks ago and I'm wondering if, after the IV's, I should ask my doctor about trying it again. Other still being short of breath, I'm feeling good. The prednisone really helped me a couple months ago but did not 3 weeks ago when I did it for 5 days.

I'm wondering if a stronger dose, say 30mg-40mg and a longer dose, say 2 weeks tapered down, would be something I should try. I will have to go on insulin when I take the prednisone because my sugars go crazy. I'm also osteopenic (thin bones) and that's another reasone my doctors don't like me to go on the prednisone. Do you guys think I should give it another try?

jfarel

AnD

Did you have chest tightness before you went on the iv's or did it start with them? I had a spell with Genamyacin that I had chest tightness and facial swelling, and they had to switch my iv meds.

AnD

Did you have chest tightness before you went on the iv's or did it start with them? I had a spell with Genamyacin that I had chest tightness and facial swelling, and they had to switch my iv meds.

AnD

sue35

If you were tight before the IVs and still are I would think about prednisone. I would definitely get your blood taken and find out your IgE level. I also have osteopenia and have been on prednisone for my whole life. I have been up to 60mg and now am on 10 every other day. I know it has terrible side effects but the tightness goes away and for that I am very thankful!

sue35

If you were tight before the IVs and still are I would think about prednisone. I would definitely get your blood taken and find out your IgE level. I also have osteopenia and have been on prednisone for my whole life. I have been up to 60mg and now am on 10 every other day. I know it has terrible side effects but the tightness goes away and for that I am very thankful!

sue35

jfarel

Yeah, I asked about them checking my ige levels a couple months ago. I said becasue I had pain and tightness on my right side and the pain was similar to when I had the aspergillosis many years ago. However, my nurse said, since at the time I was getting relief from Ibuprofen it wasn't aspergillosis. While the ibuprofen does help when I take it, the chest tightness and pain on my side comes back as soon as it wheres off. The longest I have consistently taken the ibuprofen though is one week. Maybe I should try two or 3 weeks at 600mg 3 or 4x a day.

jfarel

Yeah, I asked about them checking my ige levels a couple months ago. I said becasue I had pain and tightness on my right side and the pain was similar to when I had the aspergillosis many years ago. However, my nurse said, since at the time I was getting relief from Ibuprofen it wasn't aspergillosis. While the ibuprofen does help when I take it, the chest tightness and pain on my side comes back as soon as it wheres off. The longest I have consistently taken the ibuprofen though is one week. Maybe I should try two or 3 weeks at 600mg 3 or 4x a day.

jfarel

EnergyGal

before I would try pred again, I would try and find out why you are tight near that one spot. have you ever tried light compressions on that side? I would place my hand on a tight area and take in a slow deep breath and gently press down on that side while exhaling all the air out. It creates blood flow and it can possibly loosen up any mucus or whatever is irritating that area. Could it be a muscular problem that is creating a tightness? Have you ever tried getting a massage to relax your tightness?

I remember times where i felt chest tightness was like a big baloon that would not go down. I would practice pursed lip breathing and after several minutes, I felt so much better.

Anxiety can contribute to chest tightness so perhaps you have more than one thing going on? Just something to think about.

EnergyGal

before I would try pred again, I would try and find out why you are tight near that one spot. have you ever tried light compressions on that side? I would place my hand on a tight area and take in a slow deep breath and gently press down on that side while exhaling all the air out. It creates blood flow and it can possibly loosen up any mucus or whatever is irritating that area. Could it be a muscular problem that is creating a tightness? Have you ever tried getting a massage to relax your tightness?

I remember times where i felt chest tightness was like a big baloon that would not go down. I would practice pursed lip breathing and after several minutes, I felt so much better.

Anxiety can contribute to chest tightness so perhaps you have more than one thing going on? Just something to think about.

EnergyGal

JazzysMom

I am a bit amazed that prednisone is prescribed so easily or seems to be. Did you try different inhalers etc before going on prednisone? I only ask because if all the side affects it has, my doctor uses that as last resort.

JazzysMom

I am a bit amazed that prednisone is prescribed so easily or seems to be. Did you try different inhalers etc before going on prednisone? I only ask because if all the side affects it has, my doctor uses that as last resort.

JazzysMom

jfarel

Yes, inhalers don't do much for me. Prednisone has always been a last resort and until the last year and a half I hadn't used it in over 10 years.

jfarel

Yes, inhalers don't do much for me. Prednisone has always been a last resort and until the last year and a half I hadn't used it in over 10 years.