just a question ( ur opinion)

ihatecf

Hey, if you are in end stage cystic fibrosis fev<25% and you are in college, would u bother yourself with the effort to get your degree or just leave things and call it a day..? I'm in a big dilemma because I lack all the motivation to get something that would be of no use. I dont know how much time I have left but I know its short enough...your thoughts...thx

anonymous

well that depends on what you enjoy doing.

if you enjoy working towards your degree and it's something that you want to achieve in your life then stick with it and try the best you can.

however, if you feel like there are more important things that you would like to do then do those instead.

sorry if that wasn't very helpful, but ultimately, it's your life and your decision. no-one else can tell you what to do but yourself.

supermanfan

I would never say it would be a waste. Are you on the transplant list? I was in college when I has my transplant, and after I got my degree... Going to school while on oxygen was completely worth it... besides it game me something to hold onto, besides my husband and family

anonymous

Thats exactly my situation. My lung functions are around 30, and I've just started a 4year degree. Im being advised to go on the list for a transplant, which means Id have to wait over 4 years to get one in order for it not to affect my going to college.

Shamrock, x

supermanfan

Don't think that way. You can always go to the college's disabled persons office... let them know your situation. Get on the transplant list, if you get called for transplant in the middle of a semester you can take an incomplete for medical reasons, and later go back and finish the classes...

I would never discourage anyone from learning. After all knowledge, I believe, is all we take with us. You never know what life brings and just because your lung functions are where they are doesn't mean they can't remain that way for some time to come.

Emilee

Mockingbird

Weather you're sick or not, I say if your heart's not in it then don't bother with college. College really isn't for everybody. A lot of people are pushed through college because there's so much pressure, pressure from high school, pressure from parets, pressure from.... other stuff (I'm sure there is, just can't think of any) It's all because of this completely false implication that you won't be happy or be successful if you don't go to college.

I went to college, and I hated it. Not only did I hate it, but it was expensive as hell. And now that I have my degree i can proudly place it in... um, some cardboard box in storage because I never used it. =-)

Before anyone yells at me, i'm not saying college is unimportant. i said college isn't for everybody, but it IS for some people.

I guess i'm pretty much saying the same thing as the second poster, It all depends on you. =-)

anonymous

I agree with Mockingbird. If you dont want to go to college dont go.

If your hearts not in it you wont enjoy it. If your health makes it hard enough to just get up and go to college and you dread having to get up the next day to go to school then maybe you shouldnt go. I'm not saying just stop going one day. Since its so close to the end of the semester ride out this semester and then see what you want to do. That way if you do decide to go back to college your will still have this semester count as credits.

But with that aside. I choose not to go to college. My lung function isnt low but my body stresses out easy. And of course when I stress out I get sick, ivs hospitals, lose weight the whole shabang. In high school I just kept getting sick more often. I did well in school, probably would have done better had i been there for them to actually teach me. I would get sick and then it was like I never fully recovered from the last time i got sick. After I graduated for about a year i still kept getting sick. Then gradually i started getting better and regained some of my lung function back. So I decided not to go to college. It wasnt for me anyway. I dreaded having to go to college anyway. I didnt like high school. School just wasnt for me even though I did well. Although I get bored alot I do have the freedom to go where i please when I want without worry of homework or classes, or work. I dont have to worry about going into the hospital without warning. I am telling you what happened to me. This is just my experience. This is what works for me.

Some people the only thing keeping them going is going to work or to school. It gives them something to do. Lets them have something to work for, live for something. It works great for them.

My point is sit down and think if its for you. Do you enjoy going to school when you feel good? Do you feel like you would benefit healthwise if you just took a break? Is there something to look forward to when you wake up in the morning knowing your going to school? Or do you dread school days before they are here? Do you feel your even learning anything that will help your degree? If your to sick to pay attention you might not even be getting anything out of the classes. just a thought.
Maybe write down the pros and cons of you going to college at this point. Write down the good and bad on your health, whether it makes you happy, stressed, annoyed, or excited. Which classes you enjoy and are learning from, or maybe not.

Are you on the transplant list? If so just think when you get your transplant you can always go back to school. Sure maybe its a delay of a few months or years...but i know alot of people would think its worth the wait, maybe you would be one of those people.

Maybe the thing for you would be to cut back on classes. Like just take a class here and there instead of a full load, or even half load.
Again just sit down and think on it. It probably isnt something you can decide on in one day. This is your descion. I think the only need for a rush is if its hurting your health alot more.

Amanda
aka purplelungs

ihatecf

I agree with amanda and mockingbird. Its a hard decision to make because i'm paying loads of money just for nothing. Actually, as I attend the classes my mind is everywhere except with the instructor. I feel that whatever crap he's saying is of no concern to me. I go for college just to have something to do and not sit back home doing nothing. However, there are a lot of homework and stuff that I completely lack the motivation to do and its giving me some hard time. If I fail this semester and I feel like going to, I would certainly drop.

anonymous

No one knows how much time they have - but I would make sure that I lived it to the fullest and did everything I want to do - just because you have CF doesn't mean you can't /shouldn't live your dreams. Make the most of what you have and go for it!!

WinAce

College is often stupid even for those who are healthy. Do it if you feel it's a worthwhile accomplishment, but don't feel like less of a person if you can't (or have better things to do).

Amusingly, I learned more in a few years of reading and arguing on the Internet (supplementing with carefully-chosen books now and then) than I did in high school. And mine was one of the better schools, too!

jamey

id say if your happy going to college and feel well enough to go then keep going. after all just because your fev1 is 25% doesnt neccessarily put a time limit on life, im a perfect example of that. you made me find my patient history profile and looking at it the last time i was 25% or greater was the early months of 2001. and that was only 29%. the chart i am looking at goes back to november of 1997 and even way back then i was only at 45%. the lowest ive been on here is 9% and that was february 2003, and i remember that i was feeling really bad. i dont know if this helps any or not i just wanted to show ya that just because you got low numbers doesnt mean the end is near, is just means you need to work that much harder to be here. i believe exercising on treadmill and recumbent bike and other exercises is whats keeping me here. but whatever you decide, good luck with it.

65rosessamurai

I seem to be a little late in the reply, but wanted to add my opinion.

For someone who is optimistic about life, the value of education can be priceless.
If going to college in your situation means you're paying for the tuition, isn't there a way to get financial assistance or so?
Also, if you've already started college, and can finish, ever consider on-line college degrees?
My brother-in-law is doing it, and I'm contemplating on it (I don't have the time schedule right now)
If the degree you are trying to achieve is in an interest you enjoy, it's worthwhile. If, Like Mr. Mockingbird, it's "obligation", it's not going to give the satisfaction that would encourage an optimistic life.
Another suggestion is after taking the requirement classes (which I didn't like, either), then find a degree you'll enjoy studying for.
If you haven't decided after this spool has been read (Yes, my input was a little late), I hope this helped.
If you already decided, then that's the answer to your question.
Regards,

gstvixen

Have you thought about transplant?

Currently I took this year off because I don't have the energy to finish school (and this is my last year)..but I'm hoping that before I need a tx I could finish that way I can have my degree and start working after that and don't have to bother with school anymore.

It's a tough decision...

anonymous

I was in the same position as you are. I was in my junior year of college with about 28% lung function. AS I went through my junior year of college I was also going through getting listed for a lung transplant. I ended up leaving my senior year of college and got transplanted the following November. My doctors and I always say that I am so happy I stayed in school until the end because that it what was keeping me healthy. I was "in shape" (for a cfer in end stages of the disease) from walking up and down the stairs everyday and forcing myself to be somewhat active and go to class. And now I am back at school, finishing up my senior year and honestly I've never had so much fun. It means so much to me that I can get an education and go on to get a job. I think college is really important. Learning is an important part of life and being a part of a social setting is also fun. If it makes you happy then I think you should stick with it. If you would rather be home and do other things to enjoy life then I think you should do that. It is such a personal preference.

Margaret
Double Lung tx 11.11.04