Just wondering

star

Does everyone with CF have to take enzymes and Why? Do they all also have to take A,D,E,K and why?

gstvixen

I didnt start taking enzymes till I was 18 because I could gain weight fine and absorbed all the food I ate (or at least most of it)...
I used to take ADEK, but didnt like the taste, so I switched to another vitamin supplement called Vitamax...

so no, not everyone has to take these things, it just depends on the individual person and what their doctor thinks they should be on...

Dea

Not everyone takes enzymes...but if they take enzymes...more than likely they need A,D, E, K as well. It depends on how bad the pancreas is affected. When the pancreas isnt working correctly...the body does not absorb the fats that it needs. Vitamins A, D, E, K....are fat soluble vitamins so they in turn are not absorbed properly either. Hope this helps! By the way...I have taken enzymes all my life...I was diagnosed at not quite 6 weeks old...
Dea
31 w/CF and CFRD

anonymous

ya i take Ultrase MT20 with every meal. Last year I got a horrible pneumonia and allmost died and my PFT's went down to like 25, and I lost about 20 lbs over the last year so now I am going to get a g-tube to help with my weight which I am happy about , cuz for me its too hard to try and eat a lot to pack on the weight. I also take ADEK but I hate them they taste horible and stain your mouth.

anonymous

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>Dea</b></i><br>Not everyone takes enzymes...but if they take enzymes...more than likely they need A,D, E, K as well. It depends on how bad the pancreas is affected. When the pancreas isnt working correctly...the body does not absorb the fats that it needs. Vitamins A, D, E, K....are fat soluble vitamins so they in turn are not absorbed properly either. Hope this helps! By the way...I have taken enzymes all my life...I was diagnosed at not quite 6 weeks old...

Dea

31 w/CF and CFRD<hr></blockquote>
i was diagnosed at about 6 weeks too! and i also have CFRD. what kind of insulin regimine are you on?

Joblazer86

I really haven't heard of anyone with cf not taking some sort of enzyme supplement for their condition b/c the mucus blocks the channels that help people digest food normally. it does affect everyone differently.

Joblazer86

I really haven't heard of anyone with cf not taking some sort of enzyme supplement for their condition b/c the mucus blocks the channels that help people digest food normally. it does affect everyone differently.

Dea

I actually know several CFers...who do not take any enzymes...there lungs are the only thing affected by the CF..(I dont mean "only" lightly either). To the anonymous poster...I have been lucky to remain on oral meds for the last 6 years! My A1C is still great at 6.1! I take glucophage and glucotrol xl.
Dea
31w/CF and CFRD

Dea

I actually know several CFers...who do not take any enzymes...there lungs are the only thing affected by the CF..(I dont mean "only" lightly either). To the anonymous poster...I have been lucky to remain on oral meds for the last 6 years! My A1C is still great at 6.1! I take glucophage and glucotrol xl.
Dea
31w/CF and CFRD