LEVAQUIN~LEVOFLOXACIN

MOME2RT

Tell me how you reacted to it or if it helped you get better. This is our 1st time using it & I had never heard of it before. Reeces' doc said it seemed to be working better then the Cipro for the kids around here. Thanks!

MOME2RT

Tell me how you reacted to it or if it helped you get better. This is our 1st time using it & I had never heard of it before. Reeces' doc said it seemed to be working better then the Cipro for the kids around here. Thanks!

MOME2RT

T

ToriMom

We used Levo about 3 months ago to try to get rid of Maltophilia. It didn't get rid of the bacteria, but it didn't make my daughter feel bad. She didn't complain at all of stomach issues or headaches...she acted as if she weren't on it. She went to school and did fine during the entire course.
Our doc did advise me to put a Culturelle capsule (opened) into the feeding bag or to just make sure she swallowed one each day. This kept her bowel well populated with the good bacteria so she didn't get the runs.
Good Luck,
Michelle, mom to Tori w/CF and a G-tube, 5 yrs. old

T

ToriMom

We used Levo about 3 months ago to try to get rid of Maltophilia. It didn't get rid of the bacteria, but it didn't make my daughter feel bad. She didn't complain at all of stomach issues or headaches...she acted as if she weren't on it. She went to school and did fine during the entire course.
Our doc did advise me to put a Culturelle capsule (opened) into the feeding bag or to just make sure she swallowed one each day. This kept her bowel well populated with the good bacteria so she didn't get the runs.
Good Luck,

T

ToriMom

Good Luck,

NoExcuses

Levoquin has the lowest activity against PA of all the Quinolones. If you're trying to treat PA, I would question your doctor's reasoning for using Levo.

Ask any microbiologist - Levo is probably the worst choice for PA.

NoExcuses

Levoquin has the lowest activity against PA of all the Quinolones. If you're trying to treat PA, I would question your doctor's reasoning for using Levo.

NoExcuses

getahobby

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sakasuka</b></i>

Ask any microbiologist - Levo is probably the worst choice for PA.</end quote></div>

This is flat out wrong. Search for 'levaquin mucoid pseudomonas' on google and read those studies that show up in the first few results. Levaquin had better activity against both immobile and mobile pseudomonas.

getahobby

Ask any microbiologist - Levo is probably the worst choice for PA.</end quote></div>

This is flat out wrong. Search for 'levaquin mucoid pseudomonas' on google and read those studies that show up in the first few results. Levaquin had better activity against both immobile and mobile pseudomonas.

getahobby

NoExcuses

I didn't say that Levo wasn't efficacious - I said it wasn't as efficacious as Cipro. And it's the least efficacious of all the quinolones against PA.

Get in contact with a microbiologist (instead of google) and you will be told that Cipro's bacterialcidal activity is superior to that of Levo.

NoExcuses

I didn't say that Levo wasn't efficacious - I said it wasn't as efficacious as Cipro. And it's the least efficacious of all the quinolones against PA.

Get in contact with a microbiologist (instead of google) and you will be told that Cipro's bacterialcidal activity is superior to that of Levo.

NoExcuses

getahobby

First off, let me apologize for my tone. I didn't mean to sound snotty. I really would like to have an intelligent conversation about this.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://aac.asm.org/cgi/content/full/42/7/1641
">http://aac.asm.org/cgi/content/full/42/7/1641
</a>
Read that article. It seems to clearly say that Levaquin is superior to other quinolones, including cipro, when dealing with mucoid pseudo. Or am I misunderstanding that article?

getahobby

First off, let me apologize for my tone. I didn't mean to sound snotty. I really would like to have an intelligent conversation about this.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://aac.asm.org/cgi/content/full/42/7/1641
</a>
Read that article. It seems to clearly say that Levaquin is superior to other quinolones, including cipro, when dealing with mucoid pseudo. Or am I misunderstanding that article?

getahobby

</a>

wanderlost

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>MOME2RT</b></i>

Tell me how you reacted to it or if it helped you get better. This is our 1st time using it & I had never heard of it before. Reeces' doc said it seemed to be working better then the Cipro for the kids around here. Thanks!</end quote></div>

All I can tell you is this. Last year I had to take Cipro for a totally non Cf related thing and I felt terrific CF-wise afterwards. I had never been on it before. Recently, I needed to take an antibiotic for a sinus infection/flare up, and I had to take levaquin because it is safer for breastfeeding (my babe is 3mo). I really didn't feel a bit better afterwards. Granted I didn't have a sputum analysis after either time, but I think I know my body pretty well and I would say that the levaquin just didn't do it...but I might not have taken it long enough either (I was weary with the nursing - and not breastfeeding is not an option for me at this time).

wanderlost

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>MOME2RT</b></i>

Tell me how you reacted to it or if it helped you get better. This is our 1st time using it & I had never heard of it before. Reeces' doc said it seemed to be working better then the Cipro for the kids around here. Thanks!</end quote></div>

All I can tell you is this. Last year I had to take Cipro for a totally non Cf related thing and I felt terrific CF-wise afterwards. I had never been on it before. Recently, I needed to take an antibiotic for a sinus infection/flare up, and I had to take levaquin because it is safer for breastfeeding (my babe is 3mo). I really didn't feel a bit better afterwards. Granted I didn't have a sputum analysis after either time, but I think I know my body pretty well and I would say that the levaquin just didn't do it...but I might not have taken it long enough either (I was weary with the nursing - and not breastfeeding is not an option for me at this time).