Life Insurance? And telling your kids that your sick w/cf?

gabby

I'm 24 and trying to get life insurance but it's harder than I tought. I have call at least 25 places and no one will give me it. They tell me that they can give me assidental death insurance. Like thats going to work for me, I know that CF will kill me not a car. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have life insurance? I just want my daughter to be ok if something happens.

When is a good age to tell yor kids that mommy or daddy is sick w/cf. My daughter Gabrielle is 2 1/2 and so knows that mommy coughs alot and is sick. She knowns that mommy sleeps alot because I get tired when we go do stuff.

Sarah 23 w/cf
And daughters wo/cf

Emily65Roses

I'm no help, I just want to say that I am with you. I have no life insurance either.
And as with the parents telling the kids who have CF that they do, I would suggest just answering questions as they come up. Don't answer any more than what the immediate question asks. If the kid asks "Is mommy sick?" say "Yes, mommy has breathing problems." The end. My theory pretty much is, if they're old enough to ask the question, they're old enough to handle the answer. So they won't ask a death question until they're old enough to understand it.

Purplelungs

Unfortunatly it will be a very very lucky thing if you do find life insurance. No life insurance will cover someone with cf...pre exsisting thing. Now if you had life insurance before you found out about cf you would have that....like my mom got me life insurance when I was born, and a year later found out I had cf...I have that life insurance and thats it....its not much but its something....probably just cover partial funeral expenses. Its already hard for someone to get medical insurance with a pre exsisting condition because they (insurances) dont want to pay money so why would they cover us when they know we will cost them money....same with life insurance...Good luck finding some...dont give up. Just know its going to be really hard.
Amanda

anonymous

You guys, this is entirely untrue. My husband has coverage through state farm, I don't understand what is going on here. I encourage you to all check into state farm and see what they have to offer.

Julie (wife to Mark 24 w/CF)

L

luke

I have gotten my insurance through the places I work. My previous employer had a pretty solid plan that had portability...so when I left I took it with me. They allowed you to get up to $100,000 without a physical for a really reasonable rate. I also have coverage through my new work. My experience is that many employers will give you life insurance free up to your salary without physicals and questions. Also, you can pick up small policies if you look, I have 10,000 through my credit union account and 10,000 more through my professional organization. just a few ideas....

luke

anonymous

I havea $100,000 life insurance that covers death for any reason through Prudential, I have had it for 13 years. I didn't have any trouble getting it. My premiums are higher because of my preexisting health condition, I pay around $700/year, but it is completely worth it. You should be able to get insurance, but you will have to pay a bit more for it.

Kim
40 w/cf

anonymous

When I started my postition with my previous employer - it was an automatic acceptance. If it is a bigger company it is a guarenteed acceptance. When I signed up for it, I took the maximum amount available. Now that I am on on SSDI - they policy is still enforce under a "waiver of premium" so I don't even have to pay for it!

anonymous

In 1993 my husband got $50,000 from Mutual of Omaha. Their number used to be 800-775-7894. We should have got more, but we were young and did not think we could afford any higher monthly premium. The younger you get it, the better chance you have of being accepted. High risk life insurance is out there - ask your independent agent, and get more than we did if you can. Good luck!

HisGraceUponHer

My mom just informed me that she bought life insurance for my daughter, when she was only a few days old, which is awesome considering that she wasnt diagnosed with CF yet. Yeah, she got one of those stupid mail-ins that they send to everyone those; LIFE INSURANCE FOR ONLY $1.00 A MONTH, deals and they sent her back a certificate. Pretty awesome. Thats one worry off my back at least.

anonymous

I am interesting in the same thing for my son who is 4. We did a small insurance (that Gerber one they send out to everyone) of $5000 before we knew that he had cf (now I wish we did more). When he turns 21, we can automatically double it to $10,000. I know that it is going to be a concern for him when he grows up and has a family. I am talking to people about setting up accounts like life insurance and something for supplemental income (in case he gets too sick to work or can only work part time). I know his CF is going to be costly (not just in paying medical bills but if he can't work full time also) and I would like to ease the burden for him as much as possible. I don't want him to spend too much time worrying about money and I want him to feel secure that he can provide for his family. That's my goal and I hope to reach it.

Jena

HollyCatheryn

I agree with Emily. When your daughter asks, answer her. Answer on her level the question that she asks. Don't give her more than she asks for and don't go over her head. Remember also that you know all this extra stuff that makes CF scary for you, but knowing you have CF, for her, is just like knowing you have blond hair (or whatever). It doesn't have all the emotional baggage for her. So don't add that.