low sweat score - not digesting food

mlejcbs

My daughter (almost 1) had a sweat test score of 10 - she does not digest solids but has been gaining weight since being on Elecare. Her stools are mucus filled - not greasy. She has not had pulmonary issues but has an underlying congestion that does not seem bothersome to her. We noticed this sound when she was just a newborn.

Does it seem possible that she could have CF? I know some people had negative sweat tests, but can they be THAT low? I don't really understand what it is about CF that causes the salt levels to rise.

She does not have food allergies.

Any thoughts or ideas??

mlejcbs

My daughter (almost 1) had a sweat test score of 10 - she does not digest solids but has been gaining weight since being on Elecare. Her stools are mucus filled - not greasy. She has not had pulmonary issues but has an underlying congestion that does not seem bothersome to her. We noticed this sound when she was just a newborn.

Does it seem possible that she could have CF? I know some people had negative sweat tests, but can they be THAT low? I don't really understand what it is about CF that causes the salt levels to rise.

Any thoughts or ideas??

mlejcbs

Any thoughts or ideas??

mlejcbs

Any thoughts or ideas??

mlejcbs

Any thoughts or ideas??

pjspiegle

Did you follow up the sweat test with a genetic test? It maybe worth asking for a genetic test if not.

I am not sure what the ranges are for the sweat test but do know it is not uncommon for the test to give a false negative and genetic testing is really the only absolute. I am guessing that if you did the sweat test when she was a newborn, you could also have them re-check it. We did Nathan's when he was only 2 1/2 weeks old and would think that it could be more possible for a false negative if testing them at such a young age.

The salt is an issue because the cells do not exchange water and salt properly due to the defective gene. Wish I knew how to draw pictures in email, I could show you better what I am talking about. Maybe go to the library and look at an anatomy and physiology textbook, it may help you understand.

pjspiegle

Did you follow up the sweat test with a genetic test? It maybe worth asking for a genetic test if not.

I am not sure what the ranges are for the sweat test but do know it is not uncommon for the test to give a false negative and genetic testing is really the only absolute. I am guessing that if you did the sweat test when she was a newborn, you could also have them re-check it. We did Nathan's when he was only 2 1/2 weeks old and would think that it could be more possible for a false negative if testing them at such a young age.

The salt is an issue because the cells do not exchange water and salt properly due to the defective gene. Wish I knew how to draw pictures in email, I could show you better what I am talking about. Maybe go to the library and look at an anatomy and physiology textbook, it may help you understand.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

NoExcuses

if you get a genetic test, make sure it tests for the over 1300 CF genes. many doctors administer a test that covers only 20 or 100 genes. this simply isn't enough to ensure that your child doesn't have CF.

NoExcuses

if you get a genetic test, make sure it tests for the over 1300 CF genes. many doctors administer a test that covers only 20 or 100 genes. this simply isn't enough to ensure that your child doesn't have CF.

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

LouLou

Yes it is possible. My son has cf but had a sweat test of 12. Push for a genetic test. You want her sequenced so they test for 1000+ mutations. Don't consent to a small panel test of common mutations. In the meantime consider doing chest physical therapy on her. Knock that congestion/mucus loose so she can expell it. Even though she can't spit it out if she swallows it it goes into the stomach which is much better than the lungs. Even if it doesn't come out loosening it in the lungs deters bacteria from getting a hold and setting up shop.

Congestion = bacteria habitats = lung decline.

LouLou

Yes it is possible. My son has cf but had a sweat test of 12. Push for a genetic test. You want her sequenced so they test for 1000+ mutations. Don't consent to a small panel test of common mutations. In the meantime consider doing chest physical therapy on her. Knock that congestion/mucus loose so she can expell it. Even though she can't spit it out if she swallows it it goes into the stomach which is much better than the lungs. Even if it doesn't come out loosening it in the lungs deters bacteria from getting a hold and setting up shop.

LouLou

LouLou

LouLou