Manual Physio question

Lonespruce

I have been doing manual physio on my now three year old for the past year and a half...at least twice a day. Our clinic (in Canada) does not promote using a vest at this time due to lack of long term research. I've been fine with the physio until lately...I seem to have a very painful shoulder/neck on the right side...my paddling arm. I'm just wondering if anyone has found something other than a vest that they would recommend to help with the percussion to give my arm a break once in awhile. My hubby sometimes takes a turn...but is usually busy. If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them!!

Lonespruce

I have been doing manual physio on my now three year old for the past year and a half...at least twice a day. Our clinic (in Canada) does not promote using a vest at this time due to lack of long term research. I've been fine with the physio until lately...I seem to have a very painful shoulder/neck on the right side...my paddling arm. I'm just wondering if anyone has found something other than a vest that they would recommend to help with the percussion to give my arm a break once in awhile. My hubby sometimes takes a turn...but is usually busy. If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them!!

Lonespruce

Lonespruce

Lonespruce

janddburke

we didn't get the vest until Jess was 6 and we had our second child.
I have to say that getting the vest has been lifechanging. is it better than manual? We definetly think it's at least as effective. but more importantly we are all waaaaaaaaayyyyy more compliant.
Jess is now almost 14 and can handle setting up her nebs and strapping on her vest all by herself and has for years.
if she gets absorbed by what she is reading or playing on the computer then therapy could last hours!

Not the answer you were looking for, and I'm sorry. but I would definetly push for the vest. without question.

janddburke

I have to say that getting the vest has been lifechanging. is it better than manual? We definetly think it's at least as effective. but more importantly we are all waaaaaaaaayyyyy more compliant.
Jess is now almost 14 and can handle setting up her nebs and strapping on her vest all by herself and has for years.
if she gets absorbed by what she is reading or playing on the computer then therapy could last hours!

Not the answer you were looking for, and I'm sorry. but I would definetly push for the vest. without question.

janddburke

janddburke

janddburke

<br />I have to say that getting the vest has been lifechanging. is it better than manual? We definetly think it's at least as effective. but more importantly we are all waaaaaaaaayyyyy more compliant.
<br />Jess is now almost 14 and can handle setting up her nebs and strapping on her vest all by herself and has for years.
<br />if she gets absorbed by what she is reading or playing on the computer then therapy could last hours!
<br />
<br />Not the answer you were looking for, and I'm sorry. but I would definetly push for the vest. without question.

Liza

Hi, How about a mechanical percussor? It is like a big vibrator but it has a cup shape so it mimics the cupping hand in manual percussion. You are in canada, what does your doctor think about The Frequencer? It has been available in Canada for a couple of years I believe, it was only approved by the FDA here in the US for about a year and a half now. It is a hand held device. It was designed by a man with CF in Canada. Anyhow, the mechanical percussor my daughter uses is a G-5.

I hope that helps. The other suggestion to using your hands is to use a mask. I am trying to recall what they are actually called... They are the ones that have the air cushion around them, I believe the kind they use when giving anesthesia. You are still using your hands but maybe less intense?

Liza

Hi, How about a mechanical percussor? It is like a big vibrator but it has a cup shape so it mimics the cupping hand in manual percussion. You are in canada, what does your doctor think about The Frequencer? It has been available in Canada for a couple of years I believe, it was only approved by the FDA here in the US for about a year and a half now. It is a hand held device. It was designed by a man with CF in Canada. Anyhow, the mechanical percussor my daughter uses is a G-5.

I hope that helps. The other suggestion to using your hands is to use a mask. I am trying to recall what they are actually called... They are the ones that have the air cushion around them, I believe the kind they use when giving anesthesia. You are still using your hands but maybe less intense?

Liza

Liza

Liza

<br />
<br />I hope that helps. The other suggestion to using your hands is to use a mask. I am trying to recall what they are actually called... They are the ones that have the air cushion around them, I believe the kind they use when giving anesthesia. You are still using your hands but maybe less intense?
<br />
<br />

letefk

We have a vest, but we still also do manual CPT, especially on the youngest (the vest doesn't fit her well. I've gotten that same pain. What I started to do a few years ago was alternate by hands during every session. It took a while to figure out positions that were ergonomic and that let me use both hands. It took a while to feel as comfortable using my left hand, but now I feel comfortable with both, and I find that switching every few minutes seems to be enough to lessen the injuries.

I use a rubber percussor (just like the ones in the hospital; the clinic gives them to me), but I have also seen the therapists in the hospital use the padded oxygen masks Liza mentioned. I do find that I get fewer injuries using something like this, instead of just the cupped hand. You may already be doing that, though!

letefk

We have a vest, but we still also do manual CPT, especially on the youngest (the vest doesn't fit her well. I've gotten that same pain. What I started to do a few years ago was alternate by hands during every session. It took a while to figure out positions that were ergonomic and that let me use both hands. It took a while to feel as comfortable using my left hand, but now I feel comfortable with both, and I find that switching every few minutes seems to be enough to lessen the injuries.

I use a rubber percussor (just like the ones in the hospital; the clinic gives them to me), but I have also seen the therapists in the hospital use the padded oxygen masks Liza mentioned. I do find that I get fewer injuries using something like this, instead of just the cupped hand. You may already be doing that, though!

letefk

letefk

letefk

<br />
<br />I use a rubber percussor (just like the ones in the hospital; the clinic gives them to me), but I have also seen the therapists in the hospital use the padded oxygen masks Liza mentioned. I do find that I get fewer injuries using something like this, instead of just the cupped hand. You may already be doing that, though!