Mother-in-law with Pseudomonas (7 wk old w/cf - HELP)

anonymous

Ok - my mother-in-law called us tonight to let us know that she tested positive for Pseudomonas thru a sputum culture she had last week. A few questions. Does this mean she will always have it? Does this mean that my 7 week old (with CF) that saw her this past Sunday is in trouble? Are there any outward signs of Pseudomonas that I would notice in my 7 week old? If Pseudomonas is not "cured" with antibiotics does that mean my child can no longer see her? I am so confused! I plan to call the Cf clinic in the morning but I can't sleep and wanted to see if anyone had some answers for me. Thanks - Paula

kybert

the choice is up to you whether you want your daughter around your mother in law. just remember this when you make your decision. a. she is going to get pseudomonas at some point in time anyway, its unavoidable b. its not a death sentence when you catch it, as many people make it out to be c. it would seem a shame to ruin the chance of a close bond forming with her grandma. the best thing you can do is let her see her grandma but just take extra precautions like washing hands, not coughing over the baby, not kissing the baby every 2 seconds.

anonymous

I agree w/ what Kylie said and at the same time I relate to you wanting to protect your baby.
Kylie is right, it is just a matter of time before your little one will culture pseudomonas. And obviously, you want that to be later rather than sooner. I cultured it at 7 years of age & have had it since & I'm now 38, so it's true that it's not the death sentence that it's made out to be. Does it complicate things? Sure it does. And with a little one only 7 weeks old, she may not be strong enough yet to combat pseudomonas as well as an older child.
I am kind of in your mother-in-laws spot. I have MRSA-a staph infection that there are very few antibiotics available for treatment of. I also have a great nephew that I just adore that is severe asthmatic. I asked my doctor about hanging out w/ my nephew & he said to always wash my hands before being w/ him & do not cough on him.
I would ask your doctor what his advise is. Your mother in law could wear a mask when around the baby, but who wants to do that?
Keep us updated on what your Dr said.

kellimylove

Hi Paula,
You do need to be careful for the sake of your daughter, and it's good you are concerned with this. I have pseudmonas (I have no idea how to spell that) I don't know when I first cultured that because I wasn't diagnosed until 10 years old. However, I have a niece who has CF and we are very careful with hand washing, never sharing food-drinks-chapstick, etc., and we don't cough near one another, when possible. She has not tested positive for pseud. and she is now 5 years old. We are careful and lucky. I would check with your dr, but I don't think there are any outward, noticible signs if your daughter got the pseud. and I do think it is with you forever when you 'catch' it. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding. When I get IV meds, I just have to get meds. that the pseud. is sensitive to. Mr dr.s are genius at figuring this out and changing the meds. occassionally so the pseud. doesn't come resistant to the meds.
Well good luck to you and I hope this helps.
Kelli 26 and I have CF

anonymous

I agree as long everything is clean and she is not coughing on your baby I don't see why you wouldn't let her see her granddaughter. I have cultured pseudomonas many times and it has been successfuly treated with antibiotics.

Dave 29 w/cf

anonymous

Ok... whilst i agree with everyone here, that ur baby and grandma eally need to bond... u should definitly think about the possible complications aswell.

Pseudamonous is certainly NOT a death sentence. But one you get it, the chances or total irradication is very slim and chances are it will eventually colonise in your lungs.

What you need to consider is that, it causes alot of unwanted maintainance and complications. i was lucky enough to only contractit for the first tiime at age 18... but ever since CF has been harder to deal with... that is with regards to daily maintanence and stuff. Prior to pseud. i hardly needed antibiotics and did NO nebulised treatments and only needed physio every few days. Now, i feel like a fully fledged patient with nebs and pills and chest pts, pfts etc etc. I don't mean to scare you at all... and ur already probably use to all of teh daily treatments and things. But lung deteriotation is likely to occur at a more quickly rate with pseus than without it... so avioding exposure is ideal.

Now call me paraniod.. but u might want to invest in some facial hygenic masks. I dont know their proper name, but they always made me wear them when i was in hospital prior to pseud. to reduce the risk of me getting it. You know those masks which they used to prevent the spread of SARS? yeh those... they look ridiculous but who is going to see.

Sorry for blabbing on, just wanted to add my two cents. All the bets in what you decide. Obvioulsy, they still need a relationship togetehr. Might just want to ensure that relationship doesnt involve sputem swapping lol.

anonymous

I'm not sure but I thought pseudomonas infections are able to be eradicated in people without CF? So perhaps this will be the case with your mother-in-law?