MRSA and chlorine in pools

anonymous

This question may be way out there but I was curious is anyone noticed if they had an exacerbation of their CF after going in chlorinated pools (if you were colonized with MRSA). It seems coincidental but each time my daughter(since she's been colonized with MRSA) gets in a chlorinated pool she soon after has an exacerbation and needs antibiotics. I'm not saying that's the only reason her Mrsa flares up but the timing seems pretty close. i guess I'm wondering if the chlorine affects her mucus membranes.

Anyone else notice this or am I way off base.

Rebecca(mom Sammy 8 no CF and Maggie 3 1/2 with CF

anonymous

Our tap water has a lot of chlorine and I have to filter it before drinking or it starts me wheezing and sometimes causes stomach problems. Pools do the same thing so for me the chlorine is a major irratant.

T

tammykrumrey

Rebecca,
My oldest daughter also has MRSA, and she was in the hosp. in May w/ IV antibiotics for two weeks due to an ugly flare-up. She has since been swimming all summer in our subdivision swimming pool, as well as others, and we have not had any problems. She actually has been doing great all summer...it's been such a blessing!
Can she be sensitive to the chlorine? Maybe just strange timing? I hope you find some answers!

anonymous

Tammy,

It could be that she's just around more kids at the time we are in the pool. For example on vacation or at the Y and my daughter just picks up a cold from the kids that are around her. Hmm I don't know. We do go to the ocean and lakes alot and she has never gotten sick after doing that. I agree it's wonderful exersize and my daughter loves to be in the water. But I've been thinking to stick to the ocean/lake cause it doesn't seem a problem. I might ask her pulmo about it too. I wonder if there is a way to find out if she is sensitve to the chlorine.

Rebecca(mom to Sammy 8 no CF and MAggie 3 1/2 with CF)

Lilith

My family just recently put in a pool, but ours is a highly
technological model.  Its self-cleaning and self-chlorinating.
 It makes its own chlorine out of a certain salt, so it isn't
such a chemical base.  I've never had a problem with it, ever.
 Its wonderful, and it doesn't have that chlorine smell.
 But come to think of it, I never used to have a huge problem
with regular pools, but I don't have MRSA either...  It could
certainly be a cause of Maggie's exacerbation, though.  I
would ask her doc.<br>
<br>
Also, as a side note, I would avoid public pools like the plague.
 People are walking germ fests and if the water isn't
maintained regularly, bacteria can breed quickly.  I only
trust pools that I maintain myself.  That way I know what goes
in there.<br>
<br>
I hope your daughter gets better soon!

folione

What about the locker rooms & showers ? Those are the places at public swimming pools and gyms that are cited frequently in newspaper stories as heavily contaminated with MRSA.

T

tammykrumrey

I seem to not worry so much about outside pools. But I do get nervous about indoor pools because of the moisture in the building. And not wild about the showers and lockers either. The girls CF doc doesn't have a problem with the pools, only hot tubs. And I do not want my girls swimming in a room, such as a hotel, where there is a hot tub in the room with a pool. Ohhh, that worries me about all the warm moisture in the room. I try not to go overboard with this, but boy, I just don't know where to draw the line with what they can and cannot do.

anonymous

It's not the chlorine, it's the pool environment that's the problem. Public pools, showers, etc. are breeding grounds for stuff that would like to colonize in CFers, not to mention the likelihood of fecal coliform bacteria that can be found in there from little kids. My pediatrician (years ago) advised my parents against letting me go in swimming pools. As an adult my docs told me that jacuzzis, hot tobs, etc. were also an "enter at your own risk" type of thing.

It galls me how many people are up in arms about being exposed to cepacia in the hospital but have no problem frequenting places where greater danger may lie. Infections from swimming pools are much more prevalent than infection from cross-infection while admitted to the hospital. Granted, the types of infection are different, but the risk factors associated with each are dramatically different.

-lightNlife

tonrsoul82

kind of off topic but at the same time its not.<br>
I was reading a article ( I foregot where or I would post a link)
But it was comparing people with CF.  They found that people
with CF who like to surf or swim in the ocean alot have less
problems with CF due to the salt in the water. Kind of interesting.
 Wish I could test this out myself, but living in Montana i
kind of got a long way to go to see a ocean.

anonymous

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>tonrsoul82</b></i>

kind of off topic but at the same time its not.

I was reading a article ( I foregot where or I would post a link)
But it was comparing people with CF. They found that people
with CF who like to surf or swim in the ocean alot have less
problems with CF due to the salt in the water. Kind of interesting.
Wish I could test this out myself, but living in Montana i
kind of got a long way to go to see a ocean.</end quote></div>

That was exactly the type of revelation that led to the development of hypersonic saline treatment. It wasn't a formal study per se, but an observation that led to further investigation. Here is a <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.health-care-information.org/blog/2006/02/20/inhaling-salt-water-improves-cystic-fibrosis/">link to an article about hypertonic saline</a> that mentions the incidental finding regarding surfers.

-lightNlife

charl72

I have never taken my youngest daughter swimming.  Think it is
the fact that it's cos she's got CF and I'm bit worried about her
picking things up there.  Glad you posted this thread. I would
like to take her soon, what do you think?<br>
<br>
Grateful for any advice.  

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm more concerned about warmer water -- and things growing in that environment. Read an article no hot tubs last year and almost vomited.

DS started swimming lessons last year when he was 2, which meant we as parents had to go in with him. The water was positively icey! Getting ready to sign him up again -- and DH said, I hope they've warmed up the water -- my response was "why, we don't have to get in with him anymore now that he's 3" I know that was mean! We want him to be comfortable and have a positive experience during his swimming lessons, I'm just relieved I don't have waddle out in my swimsuit onto the swimming deck in front of 20-30 other people who are sitting on the bleacher waiting for their older kiddos to be done with lessons.

He also goes wading at my inlaws lake home. Isn't too sure about the lake this year 'cuz the few times we've been out there, it's been fairly windy.

MOME2RT

When Reece is admitted, I always ask if there are any other CFers in. Last year the RT said there were a ton of CFers & asmatics in, & most of them said they had recently been swimming. So I dont know...doesnt sound coinsdential. Thanks for posting this, I will be asking his doc what she thinks on this one!

lightNlife

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>anonymous</b></i> Our tap water has
a lot of chlorine and I have to filter it before drinking or it
starts me wheezing and sometimes causes stomach problems. Pools do
the same thing so for me the chlorine is a major irratant.</end quote></div><br>
<br>
<br>
It could be that your tap water has a high amount of chlorine
residuals in it. All tap water is chlorinated at some point.
According to the Clean Water Act and the Safe Drinking Water Act,
chlorine of a specified concentration (i.e. strength) must be
added in order to ensure that the water stays microbe free for its
entire journey from the treatment facility to your tap at home. If
you are particularly close to the chlorination point, your water
may taste different than it would if you lived elsewhere in the
city.<br>
<br>
When you filter your water at home, I assume you are using a
commercial filtration system like Britta or Pur? Those use carbon
filters and are particularly effective at removing unpleasant taste
and odor.<br>
<br>
It concerns me to hear that your water tastes like chlorine. You
may want to get in touch with your local Department of Health and
Safety and inquire how you can report it. I'm not doubting you when
you say it tastes of chlorine, but I'd be interested in knowing if
you have hard water or soft water in your home. That may play a
role in what's causing the problem more so than chlorine.<br>
<br>
Here is an <a href=
"http://www.aquasanastore.com/water-facts_b07.html">article</a>
that discusses the link between asthma symptoms and chlorine in
swimming pools. The article points out that it is not the chlorine,
but the formation of trihalomethanes (THM) as the result of
chemical reaction between chlorine and a number of other things, in
the water. If anyone would like help deciphering the chem-speak in
the article, please let me know!

anonymous

I found this article very interesting. I am very concerned about the chemicals in swimming pools being a problem for me, as I am a transplant recipient. what is your opinion about swimming in a pool? I was wondering because you did not state your opinion on the effects of the chemical reaction and how you feel as a cf patient?

I rather swim in the ocean. It is much safer and healthier but sure is a pain when you live far away.

Risa