MRSA

moni

My 1 yr old dtr had a repeat throat culture to see if the psuedomonis was still +. Well, it came back negative, but the nurse said she tested + for MRSA. I work in a nursing home and am very familiar with it, but not with children. Have any of you had this experience? Thanks, Monica

anonymous

My daughter is 16 and she will almost always test positive for MRSA every 3 months when we go in. About once or twice a year it goes from moderate to abundant and we have to go into the hospital for i.v. vaccomycin. It knocks it back down to mild for awhile. My understanding is that once MRSA has colonized you have it forever. She seems to anyway, it just varies from mild, moderate to abundant. She has only cultured Pseudo twice in her lifetime. Never Cepecia.

Brandy

HollyCatheryn

I maybe wrong since I have never dealt with MRSA myself, but there was a discussion about this on the Adults side and it seems to me that you can be rid of MRSA through treatment. There may come a specific point when the colonization becomes permanent, but like P.aurigenosa (sp?) that doesn't mean she would constantly be sick because of it.

anonymous

My daughter tests positive for MRSA every three months. She is 9 and never had a problem because of it. It's just there but thankfully you wouldn't even know it.

Emily65Roses

There are always arguments about whether or not MRSA and pseudomonas are permanent. In my experience, they are. As far as MRSA goes, I haven't actually cultured it since 01. But it doesn't matter because when I'm hospitalized, they still isolate me, blaming it on the MRSA.

When I did actively culture it, it brought my FEV1 down from 90-something down to my all-time lowest, 44%. It was a bigtime suckfest when I actually had it, but since then, I haven't had any MRSA issues. Just pseudomonas.

anonymous

Emily,
May I ask what they treated the MRSA with (if you remember). I've used oral meds, but not IV's yet & am wondering if that's the best way to go. I still seem to culture it using the oral meds.
Thanks
Elle