Mucus Plug - Pulmozyme

BlueTurtle

Our child was x-rayed last week and they noticed a dense spot on the lung...the spot was less dense 7 months ago....they are pretty sure it is a mucus plug. Although, there are no coughing, test results, symptoms of any infection or pneumonia. They want us to take antibiotics and pulmozyme. Seems very aggressive treatment for this. But they are the doctors.

Can mucus plugs stay on the lung for 6 months to a year? And they want us on the pulmozyme for ever, is this a good thing? Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

BlueTurtle

Our child was x-rayed last week and they noticed a dense spot on the lung...the spot was less dense 7 months ago....they are pretty sure it is a mucus plug. Although, there are no coughing, test results, symptoms of any infection or pneumonia. They want us to take antibiotics and pulmozyme. Seems very aggressive treatment for this. But they are the doctors.

Can mucus plugs stay on the lung for 6 months to a year? And they want us on the pulmozyme for ever, is this a good thing? Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

BlueTurtle

BlueTurtle

BlueTurtle

ktsmom

There is an old thread in the Families section that recently received new comments - I think you'll find some interesting perspective from it

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=24664&enterthread=y
">http://forums.cysticfibrosis.c...d=24664&enterthread=y
</a>
Our daughter is on Pulmozyme daily since diagnosis (among other things), for what that's worth. She cultured PA at diagnosis (age 3) and other than that has no known lung issues. I think our doc is definitely on the agressive side. Hope your child is doing well!

ktsmom

There is an old thread in the Families section that recently received new comments - I think you'll find some interesting perspective from it

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=24664&enterthread=y
</a>
Our daughter is on Pulmozyme daily since diagnosis (among other things), for what that's worth. She cultured PA at diagnosis (age 3) and other than that has no known lung issues. I think our doc is definitely on the agressive side. Hope your child is doing well!

ktsmom

</a>

ktsmom

</a>

ktsmom

<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=24664&enterthread=y
</a><br />
<br />Our daughter is on Pulmozyme daily since diagnosis (among other things), for what that's worth. She cultured PA at diagnosis (age 3) and other than that has no known lung issues. I think our doc is definitely on the agressive side. Hope your child is doing well!

S

semperfiohana

i've been on pulmozyme for as long as i can remember and i'll be on it until i either die or they find a cure, which ever comes first. i'm pro-pulmozyme myself. if i don't do it then i get pretty congested really quick and my mucus will be a lot thicker (although i never spit it out, so i'm not exactly sure what it looks like). but i've coughed up mucus plugs before, i haven't in a while, but i've coughed them up before and who knows how long they were in there before i loosened em up enough to get them out. you can't ever be too careful in my opinion. if that makes any sense at all.

S

semperfiohana

i've been on pulmozyme for as long as i can remember and i'll be on it until i either die or they find a cure, which ever comes first. i'm pro-pulmozyme myself. if i don't do it then i get pretty congested really quick and my mucus will be a lot thicker (although i never spit it out, so i'm not exactly sure what it looks like). but i've coughed up mucus plugs before, i haven't in a while, but i've coughed them up before and who knows how long they were in there before i loosened em up enough to get them out. you can't ever be too careful in my opinion. if that makes any sense at all.

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana

I'm 27 and I've been on Pulmozyme since I was about 10-12 years old, I think? Not sure, exactly. I am also very for it, I feel like it helps me a lot. I would definitely consider my drs to be aggressive, and I am thankful every day that they are.

I'm 27 and I've been on Pulmozyme since I was about 10-12 years old, I think? Not sure, exactly. I am also very for it, I feel like it helps me a lot. I would definitely consider my drs to be aggressive, and I am thankful every day that they are.