Mucus plugs

J

JenniferRose65

I'm new to cysticfibrosis.com and let me first say that it is an AMAZING find! I've had CF for 20 years and I didn't realize there was so much I still don't know about it.
I especially enjoyed the postings on the top 3 discoveries and the one where everyone admitted the top 3 things that they don't do that they know they should. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with bad habits!
I've never really been able to talk with anyone who has CF so it's really cool to be able to hop on here and be surrounded with so many CFers.
I'm so glad I found this website!

Anyway! To my point...
One of the main things I've read about on here and just can't quite figure out are mucus plugs. I've been trying to research them online but I haven't found anything.
So...anyone want to give me the low down on mucus plugs?

J

JenniferRose65

I'm new to cysticfibrosis.com and let me first say that it is an AMAZING find! I've had CF for 20 years and I didn't realize there was so much I still don't know about it.
I especially enjoyed the postings on the top 3 discoveries and the one where everyone admitted the top 3 things that they don't do that they know they should. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with bad habits!
I've never really been able to talk with anyone who has CF so it's really cool to be able to hop on here and be surrounded with so many CFers.

Anyway! To my point...
One of the main things I've read about on here and just can't quite figure out are mucus plugs. I've been trying to research them online but I haven't found anything.

J

JenniferRose65

Anyway! To my point...

J

JenniferRose65

Anyway! To my point...

J

JenniferRose65

<br />I especially enjoyed the postings on the top 3 discoveries and the one where everyone admitted the top 3 things that they don't do that they know they should. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with bad habits!
<br />I've never really been able to talk with anyone who has CF so it's really cool to be able to hop on here and be surrounded with so many CFers.
<br />I'm so glad I found this website!
<br />
<br />Anyway! To my point...
<br />One of the main things I've read about on here and just can't quite figure out are mucus plugs. I've been trying to research them online but I haven't found anything.
<br />So...anyone want to give me the low down on mucus plugs?

crickit715

my daughter has been having some trouble with "mucus plugs" this winter....she will forcefully cough thru the night and in the morning, and then you can see her swallow something. when i told her doc about this they said it was mucus plugs and that dry and cold air can aggrivate them and they tend to be worse in the winter. i dont know if i am right...but the way i understood is that they are just basically balls of mucus that get stuck in your small airways until you can forcefully cough them out. (like i said i dont know if that is right, but thats what i understood).

crickit715

my daughter has been having some trouble with "mucus plugs" this winter....she will forcefully cough thru the night and in the morning, and then you can see her swallow something. when i told her doc about this they said it was mucus plugs and that dry and cold air can aggrivate them and they tend to be worse in the winter. i dont know if i am right...but the way i understood is that they are just basically balls of mucus that get stuck in your small airways until you can forcefully cough them out. (like i said i dont know if that is right, but thats what i understood).

crickit715

crickit715

crickit715

T

TonyaH

Hi there and welcome to the site!

Mucus plugs are very common in cf patients. Although he is very compliant with all of his nebs and therapy, Andrew has them in his sputum often.

The small ones resemble dark green or black dried up worms. (I know this is an awful description, but it's the best one I have.) The don't usually hurt, but we do increase his cpt at times when he has trouble getting them up.

The large ones are hard to miss and if you've ever had them, you will know. They can be dark or light, and are "chunky". They can also feel rubbery. Those tend to cause Andrew alot of chest pain, which makes cpt difficult. This, of course, makes it very difficult to huff hard enough to bring them up.

I hope this helps!

T

TonyaH

Mucus plugs are very common in cf patients. Although he is very compliant with all of his nebs and therapy, Andrew has them in his sputum often.

The small ones resemble dark green or black dried up worms. (I know this is an awful description, but it's the best one I have.) The don't usually hurt, but we do increase his cpt at times when he has trouble getting them up.

The large ones are hard to miss and if you've ever had them, you will know. They can be dark or light, and are "chunky". They can also feel rubbery. Those tend to cause Andrew alot of chest pain, which makes cpt difficult. This, of course, makes it very difficult to huff hard enough to bring them up.

I hope this helps!

T

TonyaH

I hope this helps!

T

TonyaH

I hope this helps!

T

TonyaH

<br />
<br />Mucus plugs are very common in cf patients. Although he is very compliant with all of his nebs and therapy, Andrew has them in his sputum often.
<br />
<br />The small ones resemble dark green or black dried up worms. (I know this is an awful description, but it's the best one I have.) The don't usually hurt, but we do increase his cpt at times when he has trouble getting them up.
<br />
<br />The large ones are hard to miss and if you've ever had them, you will know. They can be dark or light, and are "chunky". They can also feel rubbery. Those tend to cause Andrew alot of chest pain, which makes cpt difficult. This, of course, makes it very difficult to huff hard enough to bring them up.
<br />
<br />I hope this helps!