My new clinic is 8 hours away anyone else travel far and how do you handle it?

hopeforever5583

Dear Friends:

After interviewing 3 centers locally that had conflicts of interest with my care I went and fell in love with Univ. of Minnesota.. So much so that after visiting with them I realized for myself their was not a place I would trust with my care as much as them. Everything about them is so refreshing. The doctors spends 45 mins in the room with you and really helps you learn about your stage in your illness from just the staff in general. I live in Indiana so it is a 8 huor drive, 1 hour 20 min flight. My question is am I the only one that travels like this for a great center? How do you handle emergency situations where you may not be able to get to your center? How is this working for you? I know so many will think I am crazy but this center is my dream center and have an average life expectancy 10 years greater than any center locally here where I live..

thanks so much for any advice

hopeforever5583

Dear Friends:

After interviewing 3 centers locally that had conflicts of interest with my care I went and fell in love with Univ. of Minnesota.. So much so that after visiting with them I realized for myself their was not a place I would trust with my care as much as them. Everything about them is so refreshing. The doctors spends 45 mins in the room with you and really helps you learn about your stage in your illness from just the staff in general. I live in Indiana so it is a 8 huor drive, 1 hour 20 min flight. My question is am I the only one that travels like this for a great center? How do you handle emergency situations where you may not be able to get to your center? How is this working for you? I know so many will think I am crazy but this center is my dream center and have an average life expectancy 10 years greater than any center locally here where I live..

hopeforever5583

Dear Friends:

hopeforever5583

Dear Friends:

hopeforever5583

Dear Friends:
<br />
<br />After interviewing 3 centers locally that had conflicts of interest with my care I went and fell in love with Univ. of Minnesota.. So much so that after visiting with them I realized for myself their was not a place I would trust with my care as much as them. Everything about them is so refreshing. The doctors spends 45 mins in the room with you and really helps you learn about your stage in your illness from just the staff in general. I live in Indiana so it is a 8 huor drive, 1 hour 20 min flight. My question is am I the only one that travels like this for a great center? How do you handle emergency situations where you may not be able to get to your center? How is this working for you? I know so many will think I am crazy but this center is my dream center and have an average life expectancy 10 years greater than any center locally here where I live..
<br />
<br />thanks so much for any advice

J

juls

We travel about 7 hours to the clinic for our daughters. Like you, we felt it was worth it for superior care. Luckily, we have not had any emergencies, hospitalizations, ect. so I don't have any advice on that.
We live in a small isolated town, so if either of our girls ever need to be admitted we would have to travel to their clinic hospital. It would be tough, but we have a good support system with family and friends so I am sure we would figure it out.

J

juls

We travel about 7 hours to the clinic for our daughters. Like you, we felt it was worth it for superior care. Luckily, we have not had any emergencies, hospitalizations, ect. so I don't have any advice on that.
We live in a small isolated town, so if either of our girls ever need to be admitted we would have to travel to their clinic hospital. It would be tough, but we have a good support system with family and friends so I am sure we would figure it out.

J

juls

J

juls

J

juls

<br />We live in a small isolated town, so if either of our girls ever need to be admitted we would have to travel to their clinic hospital. It would be tough, but we have a good support system with family and friends so I am sure we would figure it out.

saveferris2009

i have my close clinic and about once or twice a year I'll fly to another CF center to check up on their thoughts about my condition.

i work full time and i pay for top of the line health insurance, so i don't always have the $ or time to fly out to other centers regularly.

so far i've obtained great info traveling around though.

many CFer's and/or their parents don't realize how different CFer's are.... there truly is a bell curve in care that can impact quality and quantity of life

saveferris2009

i have my close clinic and about once or twice a year I'll fly to another CF center to check up on their thoughts about my condition.

i work full time and i pay for top of the line health insurance, so i don't always have the $ or time to fly out to other centers regularly.

many CFer's and/or their parents don't realize how different CFer's are.... there truly is a bell curve in care that can impact quality and quantity of life

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />i work full time and i pay for top of the line health insurance, so i don't always have the $ or time to fly out to other centers regularly.
<br />
<br />so far i've obtained great info traveling around though.
<br />
<br />many CFer's and/or their parents don't realize how different CFer's are.... there truly is a bell curve in care that can impact quality and quantity of life

jonflath

I am from the milwaukee area and my brother and I both have been going to the university of minnesota clinic for the past 3 or 4 years now. If I feel that I am going to need a hospitalization I just pack a bag and plan on being there for a week and then I can handle the IVs on my own at home. There were time when we would drive there and back in the same day which, it's about 5 to 5 and a half hours one way. We just get a book on tape and enjoy the drive. I transferred to the U of M for school and plan on staying in the city for a few years if I can get a job when I graduate this year. as for emergencies I would recommend finding a doc in the area that could write in x-rays and such, but then be able to call and talk with the clinic in minnesota on how to proceed for an emergency.

jonflath

I am from the milwaukee area and my brother and I both have been going to the university of minnesota clinic for the past 3 or 4 years now. If I feel that I am going to need a hospitalization I just pack a bag and plan on being there for a week and then I can handle the IVs on my own at home. There were time when we would drive there and back in the same day which, it's about 5 to 5 and a half hours one way. We just get a book on tape and enjoy the drive. I transferred to the U of M for school and plan on staying in the city for a few years if I can get a job when I graduate this year. as for emergencies I would recommend finding a doc in the area that could write in x-rays and such, but then be able to call and talk with the clinic in minnesota on how to proceed for an emergency.

jonflath

jonflath

jonflath