Nana needs info on cf

NanaOf8Girls

My daughter is 26 weeks pregnant and they found a bowel obstruction in her daughter, both my daughter and her boyfriend have Delta F508. They believe that there is a 95% chance that the baby has CF. What does this mean? No one in both of our families have CF. I want to have as much information as we can get on this so we will be prepared. It is such a shock to say the least. So if someone could please point me in the right directions to get more information I would be greatful. Proud Nana of 8 granddaughters. Also I have 2 sons who are having babies should they also get checked?

-------------------------
Proud Nana Of 8 Granddaughters

NanaOf8Girls

My daughter is 26 weeks pregnant and they found a bowel obstruction in her daughter, both my daughter and her boyfriend have Delta F508. They believe that there is a 95% chance that the baby has CF. What does this mean? No one in both of our families have CF. I want to have as much information as we can get on this so we will be prepared. It is such a shock to say the least. So if someone could please point me in the right directions to get more information I would be greatful. Proud Nana of 8 granddaughters. Also I have 2 sons who are having babies should they also get checked?

NanaOf8Girls

NanaOf8Girls

NanaOf8Girls

V

valigirl21

If genetic counciling or anything of the type is available to them I'd say do it. My son's father is of Hispanic origin, which makes him very unlikely to be a carrier, yet our son has CF. Any group or person on this site is an excellent source of information, as is your local CF center. Be careful what you read on the net cuz it can be frightning...and incorrect or outdated. There is a good website, but I can remember the name. I'm know every1 knows the site im talking about. Good luck w/ your new grandbaby, and we'll be praying for all of you.

V

valigirl21

If genetic counciling or anything of the type is available to them I'd say do it. My son's father is of Hispanic origin, which makes him very unlikely to be a carrier, yet our son has CF. Any group or person on this site is an excellent source of information, as is your local CF center. Be careful what you read on the net cuz it can be frightning...and incorrect or outdated. There is a good website, but I can remember the name. I'm know every1 knows the site im talking about. Good luck w/ your new grandbaby, and we'll be praying for all of you.

V

valigirl21

V

valigirl21

V

valigirl21

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I would hope they are monitoring your grandchild and daughter very closely. Does their hospital have a high level NICU, pediatric surgeon who feels comfortable enough to do the surgery to repair the bowel obstruction? Not to frighten you, but there was a parent who used to post on this site whose doctors didn't take the bowel obstruction seriously and there were some serious complications.

When DS was born, we didn't know he had CF. No family history. No indication during my normal pregnancy. A few hours after he was born it was determined that he had a bowel obstruction and the pediatric surgeon who normally does this type of surgery was out of town and nobody else felt comfortable doing it. He was lifeflighted 250 miles away to a children's hospital with a high level NICU and accreditted CF facility. Today he's an active preschooler.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I would hope they are monitoring your grandchild and daughter very closely. Does their hospital have a high level NICU, pediatric surgeon who feels comfortable enough to do the surgery to repair the bowel obstruction? Not to frighten you, but there was a parent who used to post on this site whose doctors didn't take the bowel obstruction seriously and there were some serious complications.

When DS was born, we didn't know he had CF. No family history. No indication during my normal pregnancy. A few hours after he was born it was determined that he had a bowel obstruction and the pediatric surgeon who normally does this type of surgery was out of town and nobody else felt comfortable doing it. He was lifeflighted 250 miles away to a children's hospital with a high level NICU and accreditted CF facility. Today he's an active preschooler.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

NanaOf8Girls

Thank you so much for responding. I am so glad my daughter found this site. My daughter is consulting several different hospitals and asking alot of questions regarding surgery and just plain knowledge of CF that they have. They are monitoring her closely and the last ultrasound sound a slight change in the bowel. Could they deliver her early if the bowel seems to be getting worse.

NanaOf8Girls

Thank you so much for responding. I am so glad my daughter found this site. My daughter is consulting several different hospitals and asking alot of questions regarding surgery and just plain knowledge of CF that they have. They are monitoring her closely and the last ultrasound sound a slight change in the bowel. Could they deliver her early if the bowel seems to be getting worse.

NanaOf8Girls

NanaOf8Girls

NanaOf8Girls