nebulized amphotericin (fungizone) for fungus

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Josh's doctors <i>finally</i> came up with a treatment for his fungus.(after a month) We were expecting v-fend or fluconazole but she surprised us with amphotericin.

I read it is very strong in IV form with multiple side effects, but she wants him to neb it.

She is going to call us later to explain, but I was curious if anyone had experience with this?

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.rxlist.com/fungizone-drug.htm">http://www.rxlist.com/fungizone-drug.htm</a>

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Josh's doctors <i>finally</i> came up with a treatment for his fungus.(after a month) We were expecting v-fend or fluconazole but she surprised us with amphotericin.

I read it is very strong in IV form with multiple side effects, but she wants him to neb it.

She is going to call us later to explain, but I was curious if anyone had experience with this?

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.rxlist.com/fungizone-drug.htm">http://www.rxlist.com/fungizone-drug.htm</a>

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />I read it is very strong in IV form with multiple side effects, but she wants him to neb it.
<br />
<br />She is going to call us later to explain, but I was curious if anyone had experience with this?
<br />
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.rxlist.com/fungizone-drug.htm">http://www.rxlist.com/fungizone-drug.htm</a>

adamsants

Jane...Adam did the iv ampho b and it was strong for his fungus. What is Josh growing? Also mom2brooke did the inhaled amphro b but i think it made her a little sick.

Ann

adamsants

Jane...Adam did the iv ampho b and it was strong for his fungus. What is Josh growing? Also mom2brooke did the inhaled amphro b but i think it made her a little sick.

Ann

adamsants

Ann

adamsants

Ann

adamsants

<br />
<br />Ann

mom2lillian

Jane - there are differing tests for the IG stuff and some are more indicative of systemic candida while others are more indicative of aspergillus in the airways. Do you know which tests were ordered that came back at 500? Do you know what his IgE level is?

I am curious as to the intermingling of these two items. My family doctor is of course whom I went to for the systemic candida suspicion which came back positive. My CF consult with Dr. Moss he took alot of blood work that would tell him if my airways are reacting indicating ABPA flare or perhaps colonization with aspergillus that we just cant find.

I am curious as to the interconnection of these two factors and plan to pursue them in my discussions iwth all of my doctors. I am curious as to if my systemic candida which I am positive I have not only because of the tetss but because of the misery I am going through right now trying to erradicate it (all of which are consumed not inhaled therapies and there is no indication for fluconazole in the treatment of ABPA type issues).

My CF consult talked about one treatment option was inhaled amphotericin. For me we discounted that for one primarily because it is normally used where they can 'find' the aspergillus in the airways which they havent for me. Also we didnt want another breathing treatment added since I am already doing alot just from a quality of life standpoint.
The other options were of course the itraconazole or vfend.

I am curious because if your tests came up for candida and they are doing amphotericin then it wouldnt treat anything but the airways and his systemic candida would rage on. Again this is all me guessing having no basis for it. Perhaps the tests that were run on Josh were different than mine. Perhaps though it is possible they believe the colonization in his airways is what is throwing off all of the numbres and this would be very interesting.

Let us know how it goes, kuddos for the awesome work mom!

mom2lillian

Jane - there are differing tests for the IG stuff and some are more indicative of systemic candida while others are more indicative of aspergillus in the airways. Do you know which tests were ordered that came back at 500? Do you know what his IgE level is?

I am curious as to the intermingling of these two items. My family doctor is of course whom I went to for the systemic candida suspicion which came back positive. My CF consult with Dr. Moss he took alot of blood work that would tell him if my airways are reacting indicating ABPA flare or perhaps colonization with aspergillus that we just cant find.

I am curious as to the interconnection of these two factors and plan to pursue them in my discussions iwth all of my doctors. I am curious as to if my systemic candida which I am positive I have not only because of the tetss but because of the misery I am going through right now trying to erradicate it (all of which are consumed not inhaled therapies and there is no indication for fluconazole in the treatment of ABPA type issues).

My CF consult talked about one treatment option was inhaled amphotericin. For me we discounted that for one primarily because it is normally used where they can 'find' the aspergillus in the airways which they havent for me. Also we didnt want another breathing treatment added since I am already doing alot just from a quality of life standpoint.

I am curious because if your tests came up for candida and they are doing amphotericin then it wouldnt treat anything but the airways and his systemic candida would rage on. Again this is all me guessing having no basis for it. Perhaps the tests that were run on Josh were different than mine. Perhaps though it is possible they believe the colonization in his airways is what is throwing off all of the numbres and this would be very interesting.

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

<br />
<br />I am curious as to the intermingling of these two items. My family doctor is of course whom I went to for the systemic candida suspicion which came back positive. My CF consult with Dr. Moss he took alot of blood work that would tell him if my airways are reacting indicating ABPA flare or perhaps colonization with aspergillus that we just cant find.
<br />
<br />I am curious as to the interconnection of these two factors and plan to pursue them in my discussions iwth all of my doctors. I am curious as to if my systemic candida which I am positive I have not only because of the tetss but because of the misery I am going through right now trying to erradicate it (all of which are consumed not inhaled therapies and there is no indication for fluconazole in the treatment of ABPA type issues).
<br />
<br />My CF consult talked about one treatment option was inhaled amphotericin. For me we discounted that for one primarily because it is normally used where they can 'find' the aspergillus in the airways which they havent for me. Also we didnt want another breathing treatment added since I am already doing alot just from a quality of life standpoint.
<br />The other options were of course the itraconazole or vfend.
<br />
<br />I am curious because if your tests came up for candida and they are doing amphotericin then it wouldnt treat anything but the airways and his systemic candida would rage on. Again this is all me guessing having no basis for it. Perhaps the tests that were run on Josh were different than mine. Perhaps though it is possible they believe the colonization in his airways is what is throwing off all of the numbres and this would be very interesting.
<br />
<br />Let us know how it goes, kuddos for the awesome work mom!

Jane

Digital opinion leader
I didn't talk to the doc, my husband did (on the phone) so we don't have concrete documentation. He said they definately ruled out aspergillus and most fungus, but they weren't sure what was in his blood so they didn't have sensitivities. They didn't find it was anywhere else (esphogus, lungs etc)from biopsies and ct scans.

It was the beta d glucan that first came back 500. The second one came back 281.

They went with the ampho as a good strong general treatment. Neb as opposed to IVs because of side effects.

We have a clinic appt on Friday so I'll make sure to take good notes and get all the numbers.

Thank you for your help with all of this!

Jane

Digital opinion leader
I didn't talk to the doc, my husband did (on the phone) so we don't have concrete documentation. He said they definately ruled out aspergillus and most fungus, but they weren't sure what was in his blood so they didn't have sensitivities. They didn't find it was anywhere else (esphogus, lungs etc)from biopsies and ct scans.

It was the beta d glucan that first came back 500. The second one came back 281.

They went with the ampho as a good strong general treatment. Neb as opposed to IVs because of side effects.

We have a clinic appt on Friday so I'll make sure to take good notes and get all the numbers.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />It was the beta d glucan that first came back 500. The second one came back 281.
<br />
<br />They went with the ampho as a good strong general treatment. Neb as opposed to IVs because of side effects.
<br />
<br />We have a clinic appt on Friday so I'll make sure to take good notes and get all the numbers.
<br />
<br />Thank you for your help with all of this!