Norfolk, VA Clinic

Nicole

We just found out that we will be moving to Langley AFB this fall (pending medical clearance)and I'm looking for info about the Norfolk, VA clinic which looks to be the closest.

Does anyone go there?

Nicole

We just found out that we will be moving to Langley AFB this fall (pending medical clearance)and I'm looking for info about the Norfolk, VA clinic which looks to be the closest.

Does anyone go there?

Nicole

<br />
<br />Does anyone go there?

Jana

I went there as a kid and loved it. Dr. Rubio was there then, and I believe he was fairly well known in the CF world. However, I expect it's no longer him as he was getting on in years when I was there. Also, there were some wonderful nurses. Sorry I have no recent information on that clinic.

Jana

I went there as a kid and loved it. Dr. Rubio was there then, and I believe he was fairly well known in the CF world. However, I expect it's no longer him as he was getting on in years when I was there. Also, there were some wonderful nurses. Sorry I have no recent information on that clinic.

Jana

Jana

I'm pretty sure there is a pediatric clinic at Fairfax Hospital which would be much closer for you. I live in the Northern VA area myself but don't go to a CF clinic.

Jana

I'm pretty sure there is a pediatric clinic at Fairfax Hospital which would be much closer for you. I live in the Northern VA area myself but don't go to a CF clinic.

Jana

Jana

Oh, and I talked to one local family takes their child to Children's Hospital in DC.

Sorry for the multiple posts--I keep thinking of these after I walk away!

Jana

Oh, and I talked to one local family takes their child to Children's Hospital in DC.

Sorry for the multiple posts--I keep thinking of these after I walk away!

Jana

<br />
<br />Sorry for the multiple posts--I keep thinking of these after I walk away!

B

bethylove

Hello,
I live in Williamsburg so I'm close to the Norfolk area. There are 2 accredited CF centers, but they have different ratings according to cff.org (Find a center). Ratings are out of 3 stars. There is Children's of The Kings Daughters Hospital (CHKD -Rated 2 stars)) with their CF program in Norfolk, and then there is the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU or MCV - 3 stars) and their CF program in Richmond. Seeing as you're living in Norfolk it would probably make most sense to go to CHKD, unless you live on the other side of the peninsula aka on the other side of the tunnel -- and then I would suggest going up to Richmond.

I personally go to Richmond even though CHKD is closer - miles wise- but driving down towards VA beach and over the Hampton bridge tunnel is so unpredictable it can sometimes take 3 hours to get there when really it shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.Plus I find there is so much more traffic in Norfolk than Richmond. So Richmond is 60 minutes away for me but I love it there, and would probably travel 3 hours to get there because I love it so much lol.

Let me know if you have anymore questions and I'll try my best to answer them! =)

**I went to check my info so I wasn't misleading you in anyway, and I can't seem to find the ratings, but I KNOW I have seen them before, so I'm not sure if it was through CFF.org or another website. If I find it I'll let you know.

B

bethylove

Hello,
I live in Williamsburg so I'm close to the Norfolk area. There are 2 accredited CF centers, but they have different ratings according to cff.org (Find a center). Ratings are out of 3 stars. There is Children's of The Kings Daughters Hospital (CHKD -Rated 2 stars)) with their CF program in Norfolk, and then there is the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU or MCV - 3 stars) and their CF program in Richmond. Seeing as you're living in Norfolk it would probably make most sense to go to CHKD, unless you live on the other side of the peninsula aka on the other side of the tunnel -- and then I would suggest going up to Richmond.

I personally go to Richmond even though CHKD is closer - miles wise- but driving down towards VA beach and over the Hampton bridge tunnel is so unpredictable it can sometimes take 3 hours to get there when really it shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.Plus I find there is so much more traffic in Norfolk than Richmond. So Richmond is 60 minutes away for me but I love it there, and would probably travel 3 hours to get there because I love it so much lol.

Let me know if you have anymore questions and I'll try my best to answer them! =)

**I went to check my info so I wasn't misleading you in anyway, and I can't seem to find the ratings, but I KNOW I have seen them before, so I'm not sure if it was through CFF.org or another website. If I find it I'll let you know.

B

bethylove

Hello,
<br />I live in Williamsburg so I'm close to the Norfolk area. There are 2 accredited CF centers, but they have different ratings according to cff.org (Find a center). Ratings are out of 3 stars. There is Children's of The Kings Daughters Hospital (CHKD -Rated 2 stars)) with their CF program in Norfolk, and then there is the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU or MCV - 3 stars) and their CF program in Richmond. Seeing as you're living in Norfolk it would probably make most sense to go to CHKD, unless you live on the other side of the peninsula aka on the other side of the tunnel -- and then I would suggest going up to Richmond.
<br />
<br />I personally go to Richmond even though CHKD is closer - miles wise- but driving down towards VA beach and over the Hampton bridge tunnel is so unpredictable it can sometimes take 3 hours to get there when really it shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.Plus I find there is so much more traffic in Norfolk than Richmond. So Richmond is 60 minutes away for me but I love it there, and would probably travel 3 hours to get there because I love it so much lol.
<br />
<br />Let me know if you have anymore questions and I'll try my best to answer them! =)
<br />
<br />**I went to check my info so I wasn't misleading you in anyway, and I can't seem to find the ratings, but I KNOW I have seen them before, so I'm not sure if it was through CFF.org or another website. If I find it I'll let you know.

hmw

The CFF site 'rates' clinics based on certain statistics. They are rated based on their patient's respiratory health (defined by fev1), nutritional status (bmi), and how well they follow their patients: the percentage of patients that are seen as often as they should be (4x/yr) and that are screened for cfrd. Each clinic's stats are compared to both the national average and the goal that the cff is striving for, as a point of reference. While statistics are not everything, they ARE an important tool: they reflect the health of the patients under their care. If patients are dramatically healthier at one clinic vs. those at another clinic, it's good to know that going in and in making decisions for your care.

If another website uses 'stars' to rate clinics, it may be based on this info, but I haven't seen this myself so can't comment on that.

You can access info on any clinic in the country by going to
www.cff.org>
care center network (left sidebar) >
scroll down: click 'review care center data' >
join site as registered member if you haven't already >
check box to agree to terms of data use >
Find your state on the map and click on it, then click on the individual hospitals for their information.

I don't have any personal experience with clinics in this part of the country.

hmw

The CFF site 'rates' clinics based on certain statistics. They are rated based on their patient's respiratory health (defined by fev1), nutritional status (bmi), and how well they follow their patients: the percentage of patients that are seen as often as they should be (4x/yr) and that are screened for cfrd. Each clinic's stats are compared to both the national average and the goal that the cff is striving for, as a point of reference. While statistics are not everything, they ARE an important tool: they reflect the health of the patients under their care. If patients are dramatically healthier at one clinic vs. those at another clinic, it's good to know that going in and in making decisions for your care.

If another website uses 'stars' to rate clinics, it may be based on this info, but I haven't seen this myself so can't comment on that.

You can access info on any clinic in the country by going to
www.cff.org>
care center network (left sidebar) >
scroll down: click 'review care center data' >
join site as registered member if you haven't already >
check box to agree to terms of data use >
Find your state on the map and click on it, then click on the individual hospitals for their information.

I don't have any personal experience with clinics in this part of the country.

hmw

<br />
<br />If another website uses 'stars' to rate clinics, it may be based on this info, but I haven't seen this myself so can't comment on that.
<br />
<br />You can access info on any clinic in the country by going to
<br />www.cff.org>
<br />care center network (left sidebar) >
<br />scroll down: click 'review care center data' >
<br />join site as registered member if you haven't already >
<br />check box to agree to terms of data use >
<br />Find your state on the map and click on it, then click on the individual hospitals for their information.
<br />
<br />I don't have any personal experience with clinics in this part of the country.