Okinawa-Kempo/Small Circle Ju-Jitsu

A

all4Eden

Hello everybody:

I am throwing a question at ya'll. My 10 year old daughter is hooked on Martial Arts. Okinawa Kempo and Small Circle Ju-Jitsu. She is an Orange belt right now and working on her blue belt soon. At this Dojo, if you are an Orange Belt and up you can spar and duck-it out with anybody. Male or female. In Ju-Jitsu, they do lots of "Pressure Points". Lots of pressure points. And they are absorbing this techniques on their Okinawa style. My question is about "Lung Pressure Points". Lung #8, Lung #6, Lung #5, Lung #7. During "sparing", her Sensei told the other kids not to hit her on the Lung Pressure Points. I think he said this because he doesn't really know what this will do to an individual diagnosed with CF. We do know what will happen if you get whack at any pressure point. But, what it will do if you get hit at any of those Lung Pressure Points?

65rosessamurai

Hi all4Eden,

It's great that she's getting involved in the martial arts. I had started it since I was 18, but only recently had not been too involved.

I'm vaguely familiar with Okinawa Kenpo, understanding its a mix with karate and aikido if its the same one I experienced once while I was invited by a friend to check it out. I was never taught pressure points other than standard ones when applying a technique when I was in Aikido (the instructor was a senior student to Mr. Segal and knew his wife and her dojo).
I'm not sure what age or rank a student should know such pressure points, while in Judo, we never really learned choke holds until mid-way to our black belt...though oddly, the method to revive isn't taught until black belt.
So, I would recommend either to ask the instructor to explain the effect of the pressure points, or demonstrate it on a willing student to see its effect, and perhaps judge to even see if your daughter would be willing to accept or decline certain techniques?
I don't know if a person can develop a resistance from the pressure points, but if so, maybe that would be a good strategy?

Hope my input was helpful

A

all4Eden

Domo! Thank you for your input. I just want her to go all the way with this. She just got tested for her Blue Belt.

65rosessamurai

Dou Itashimashite. In Japanese, they would say to your daughter "Ganbatte", which means "keep at it". (It would follow "Omedeto" for "Congrats" on passing the test)

One thing i found with martial arts is that it was a continous cycle of learning and finding improvement while getting excercise. It increases self-confidence which may help her hurdle many obstacles that are placed ahead when dealing with CF. the only thing I would change is to avoid serious injuries. (and, in my case, poor instructors)