OT - The Talk

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Eeek! DS asked me last night how Mommies and Daddies became mommies and daddies. I sorta just stammered and put him off lest I say something that may really confuse him or SCAR HIM FOR LIFE!

Any suggestions? I seem to recall my parents getting the "Where did I come from book" for my sister. OMIGOSH I'm not ready for this. He's only 5 1/2!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Eeek! DS asked me last night how Mommies and Daddies became mommies and daddies. I sorta just stammered and put him off lest I say something that may really confuse him or SCAR HIM FOR LIFE!

Any suggestions? I seem to recall my parents getting the "Where did I come from book" for my sister. OMIGOSH I'm not ready for this. He's only 5 1/2!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Any suggestions? I seem to recall my parents getting the "Where did I come from book" for my sister. OMIGOSH I'm not ready for this. He's only 5 1/2!

M

Mommafirst

He's probably not looking for the specifics. Just the basics.

I have had three c-sections, so in the early days I just explained that my kids grew in my tummy and then the doctor cut it open to take them out. When my oldest was about Max's age I wanted him to know that not all baby's come out that way, when I told him he just said, "EWWW". My then-four-year-old said, "So do you just swallow a seed to get us in there." and I was ready to get further into it, but I said, "something like that" and no one seemed interested to hear anymore.

I did buy a book and tried to share it but got the same "EWWW" from my oldest and am now waiting for him to be interested in hearing the rest. LOL.

M

Mommafirst

I have had three c-sections, so in the early days I just explained that my kids grew in my tummy and then the doctor cut it open to take them out. When my oldest was about Max's age I wanted him to know that not all baby's come out that way, when I told him he just said, "EWWW". My then-four-year-old said, "So do you just swallow a seed to get us in there." and I was ready to get further into it, but I said, "something like that" and no one seemed interested to hear anymore.

I did buy a book and tried to share it but got the same "EWWW" from my oldest and am now waiting for him to be interested in hearing the rest. LOL.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I have had three c-sections, so in the early days I just explained that my kids grew in my tummy and then the doctor cut it open to take them out. When my oldest was about Max's age I wanted him to know that not all baby's come out that way, when I told him he just said, "EWWW". My then-four-year-old said, "So do you just swallow a seed to get us in there." and I was ready to get further into it, but I said, "something like that" and no one seemed interested to hear anymore.
<br />
<br />I did buy a book and tried to share it but got the same "EWWW" from my oldest and am now waiting for him to be interested in hearing the rest. LOL.

babyluke

Our pediatrician gave us this little booklet: "The Birds and Bees with Ease"(yeah, right). Anyway it says to keep your explanations pretty generic and let them ask more detailed questions as they are curious. We have adopted children as well as one biological child, so we have talked about the whole babies growing in mommy's bellies and then the doctor helps get the baby out. And then we have had the added complication of the whole you grew in someone else's belly, but now live with mommy and daddy thing. My 5 year old was satisfied with that and didn't ask how the baby gets in there to begin with. When my sister was pregnant with her second baby, her then 4 year old told us that her mom had used her dad's toothbrush and he must have left a seed on it, because mommy swallowed it and now she is going to have a baby. Too funny the things they come up with! Good luck!
Angela

babyluke

Our pediatrician gave us this little booklet: "The Birds and Bees with Ease"(yeah, right). Anyway it says to keep your explanations pretty generic and let them ask more detailed questions as they are curious. We have adopted children as well as one biological child, so we have talked about the whole babies growing in mommy's bellies and then the doctor helps get the baby out. And then we have had the added complication of the whole you grew in someone else's belly, but now live with mommy and daddy thing. My 5 year old was satisfied with that and didn't ask how the baby gets in there to begin with. When my sister was pregnant with her second baby, her then 4 year old told us that her mom had used her dad's toothbrush and he must have left a seed on it, because mommy swallowed it and now she is going to have a baby. Too funny the things they come up with! Good luck!
Angela

babyluke

Angela

babyluke

Angela

babyluke

<br />Angela

Tcole

When my daughter's asked this question I gave them the PG version. I told them that when you love someone and then you decide to make a baby together. That seemed to satisfy them. I wanted them to know me and my ex loved each other at one time and we made them out of love. But when i had Graycie they know where she came out. They asked if it hurt and if there was blood. I told them yes it hurt but it went away pretty fast. And yes there was blood but thats normal. I grew up with my mom telling me honest answers. I would just give them the pg version.

Tcole

When my daughter's asked this question I gave them the PG version. I told them that when you love someone and then you decide to make a baby together. That seemed to satisfy them. I wanted them to know me and my ex loved each other at one time and we made them out of love. But when i had Graycie they know where she came out. They asked if it hurt and if there was blood. I told them yes it hurt but it went away pretty fast. And yes there was blood but thats normal. I grew up with my mom telling me honest answers. I would just give them the pg version.

Tcole

Tcole

Tcole