Pain after Sinus Surgery

RM

My daughter is 14 and had sinus surgery four weeks ago after dealing with an infection for a long time. The surgeon said she cleared out her sinuses--scraping, baloon, etc. She has had a tremendous headache for the past month. The CT scan shows the infection is back (she cultured MRSA and Staph Aureus) but the openings are not blocked. She's been on oxycodone and now oral morphine, prednisone, a series of antibiotics--Bactrim, Cipro, now Zyvox--and we cannot get any relieft at all. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this pain and how to treat it? Thank you!

JENNYC

RM...I am so sorry to hear about your daughter!! Abby has had 10 sinus surgeries with complications but none like that. My first thought was is she on Prednisone, but I see that she is. I would have thought maybe the swelling afterwards was getting to her, and the prednisone is to help with the swelling. Did the surgeon go in 2 weeks later to remove the scabbing? I cannot stand it when our kids are in pain! Makes you feel so helpless! I do pray she gets some relief. I wish I had more info that could help you!! Hugs to you both!!

A

Allansarmy

I know they make certain antibiotics with an irrigation method, meaning you might have to the squize bottle techinique to get it in there, some use a battery operated nasal wash device and that seems to work well. Since she cultured MRSA (My son cultures that has well in his sputum from lungs) they could make Bactrim with other steroid rinses. It usually needs to be done at a compounding pharmacy. I know of one compounding pharmacy that does nasal delivery called Richie's Specialty Pharmacy phone 936-588-6337 I am sure they can deliver if your doc agrees and writes a script.

Hope this helps.

-Michael