pancrecarb through mickey button

G

grantsmom

Grant got his mickey button today. He was recently prescribed pancrecarb so I can put it through his tube.

The nurse said I would have to give 2 at the beginning of the feed, 2 in the middle of the night and 2 in the morning. Is there a reason I would have to give them in the middle of the night? When he was on creon I would give them before and after the feed. It is going to be very difficult to give during the night.

My question is how do you give pancrecarb through the mickey button? So far the tube has been a success- he has gained four pounds! Any suggestions would be very helpful- thanks

G

grantsmom

Grant got his mickey button today. He was recently prescribed pancrecarb so I can put it through his tube.

The nurse said I would have to give 2 at the beginning of the feed, 2 in the middle of the night and 2 in the morning. Is there a reason I would have to give them in the middle of the night? When he was on creon I would give them before and after the feed. It is going to be very difficult to give during the night.

My question is how do you give pancrecarb through the mickey button? So far the tube has been a success- he has gained four pounds! Any suggestions would be very helpful- thanks

G

grantsmom

G

grantsmom

G

grantsmom

<br />
<br /> The nurse said I would have to give 2 at the beginning of the feed, 2 in the middle of the night and 2 in the morning. Is there a reason I would have to give them in the middle of the night? When he was on creon I would give them before and after the feed. It is going to be very difficult to give during the night.
<br />
<br />My question is how do you give pancrecarb through the mickey button? So far the tube has been a success- he has gained four pounds! Any suggestions would be very helpful- thanks

M

Mommafirst

I mix the pancreacarb in about a teaspoon of applesauce, then I put it in the big syringe that comes with the mic-key and squirt it in through the larger port.

If Grant is severely pancreatic insufficient, you'll need to do the enzymes in the middle of the night. With Alyssa, we can give the enxymes when we start the feed at 11pm and again when she is done at 6am. But since it goes slowly, its likely that he'll need enzymes through the middle of it.

M

Mommafirst

I mix the pancreacarb in about a teaspoon of applesauce, then I put it in the big syringe that comes with the mic-key and squirt it in through the larger port.

If Grant is severely pancreatic insufficient, you'll need to do the enzymes in the middle of the night. With Alyssa, we can give the enxymes when we start the feed at 11pm and again when she is done at 6am. But since it goes slowly, its likely that he'll need enzymes through the middle of it.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />If Grant is severely pancreatic insufficient, you'll need to do the enzymes in the middle of the night. With Alyssa, we can give the enxymes when we start the feed at 11pm and again when she is done at 6am. But since it goes slowly, its likely that he'll need enzymes through the middle of it.

babyluke

We are having this same issue. Luke has just been switched from viokase powder to doing his creon enzymes before he starts on the pump and then again in the middle of the night. We are having a really hard time getting them to go through the mickey. They are telling us at clinic not to use one of the ports but to unhook him from the pump and then use that opening to shoot a syringe full of applesause/creon spheres through. We cannot get it to work and we are waking him up in the process and then he won't go back to sleep. So then we just started waking him up and giving them to him by mouth, which works but then he does not want to go back to sleep after. And he is getting really constipated and so we are giving him miralax now.
Sorry I have no advice! Just thought I would let you know you are not alone--we are totally in the same boat.

babyluke

We are having this same issue. Luke has just been switched from viokase powder to doing his creon enzymes before he starts on the pump and then again in the middle of the night. We are having a really hard time getting them to go through the mickey. They are telling us at clinic not to use one of the ports but to unhook him from the pump and then use that opening to shoot a syringe full of applesause/creon spheres through. We cannot get it to work and we are waking him up in the process and then he won't go back to sleep. So then we just started waking him up and giving them to him by mouth, which works but then he does not want to go back to sleep after. And he is getting really constipated and so we are giving him miralax now.
Sorry I have no advice! Just thought I would let you know you are not alone--we are totally in the same boat.

babyluke

babyluke

babyluke

<br />Sorry I have no advice! Just thought I would let you know you are not alone--we are totally in the same boat.

M

Mommafirst

No, you can't just shoot it into the mickey -- the syringe is too small with the slip tip that fits into the button. You need to use the large syringe (60ml) and fit it into the large port (the one you attach the feeding bags to). It took us a little time to get it right. I have to put a bit of water in the applesauce to thin it out enough to get it to run through the syringe. But it can't be too thin or the enzyme beeds will float together and clog the button.

M

Mommafirst

No, you can't just shoot it into the mickey -- the syringe is too small with the slip tip that fits into the button. You need to use the large syringe (60ml) and fit it into the large port (the one you attach the feeding bags to). It took us a little time to get it right. I have to put a bit of water in the applesauce to thin it out enough to get it to run through the syringe. But it can't be too thin or the enzyme beeds will float together and clog the button.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />