PICC lines and recess??

M

mneville

Aidan is about to get his 6th PICC line. I want him to be able to participate in Gym and recess but his CF doctor says no. Ugh! Aidan is a very physical kid and needs these opportunities in school. He will hate CF and PICCs even more if we take these opportunities away from him. The chance of his PICC being pulled out seems very unlikely to me. Suggestions?

Megan

M

mneville

Aidan is about to get his 6th PICC line. I want him to be able to participate in Gym and recess but his CF doctor says no. Ugh! Aidan is a very physical kid and needs these opportunities in school. He will hate CF and PICCs even more if we take these opportunities away from him. The chance of his PICC being pulled out seems very unlikely to me. Suggestions?

Megan

M

mneville

<br />
<br />Megan

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Is his Picc line sutured in? When maggie was 2 1/2 she had a PICC and they put 2 small sutures on each side of the picc(not sure if I am remembering this correctly. Then it has a "stat lock" which keeps the line in place. Maggie was allowed to do her sing and movement class when she had her PICC line but I was right with her...I guess recess can be a free for all.. Gym class is usually more controlled than recess. Would the doc feel better if you were there? With the PICC wrapped with an ace wrap, sutured in and stat locked in?

Lately I have not seen PICC lines with the sutures, my guess is it is another source for something to get infected.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Is his Picc line sutured in? When maggie was 2 1/2 she had a PICC and they put 2 small sutures on each side of the picc(not sure if I am remembering this correctly. Then it has a "stat lock" which keeps the line in place. Maggie was allowed to do her sing and movement class when she had her PICC line but I was right with her...I guess recess can be a free for all.. Gym class is usually more controlled than recess. Would the doc feel better if you were there? With the PICC wrapped with an ace wrap, sutured in and stat locked in?

Lately I have not seen PICC lines with the sutures, my guess is it is another source for something to get infected.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
<br />
<br />Lately I have not seen PICC lines with the sutures, my guess is it is another source for something to get infected.

Havoc

I am a paramedic, and I worked with mine in, lifting and all that. I just made sure it was taped very securely.

Havoc

I am a paramedic, and I worked with mine in, lifting and all that. I just made sure it was taped very securely.

Havoc

beansmom

My 4 year old has had several PICC lines, we have been very careful with them all, but one did break---thankfully I was able to clamp it off before it was a problem. One also got infected. If the playground at your son's school is anything like the playground at my 6 year olds school I would not let him play. When my daughter goes to my son's school in a year I know I will not be allowing her to when she has a PICC. I still will let her be physical at home but not at school.

beansmom

My 4 year old has had several PICC lines, we have been very careful with them all, but one did break---thankfully I was able to clamp it off before it was a problem. One also got infected. If the playground at your son's school is anything like the playground at my 6 year olds school I would not let him play. When my daughter goes to my son's school in a year I know I will not be allowing her to when she has a PICC. I still will let her be physical at home but not at school.

beansmom

colinmaydahl

Get him a port, I wish I would of gotten mine sooner. You end up getting stuck way less and it is just much less hassle. When I got ports I had to get a few replaced because they pushed out if I was very active.

Colin

colinmaydahl

Get him a port, I wish I would of gotten mine sooner. You end up getting stuck way less and it is just much less hassle. When I got ports I had to get a few replaced because they pushed out if I was very active.

Colin

colinmaydahl

<br />
<br />Colin

iwantmypup

I'm older than Aidan, and even I am hesitant with my PICC line. I've also had quite a bit of PICC lines and the one that broke, broke in the hospital while I was sleeping. If mine broke while sleeping, I couldn't imagine how fast it would break by playing in a playground.

iwantmypup

I'm older than Aidan, and even I am hesitant with my PICC line. I've also had quite a bit of PICC lines and the one that broke, broke in the hospital while I was sleeping. If mine broke while sleeping, I couldn't imagine how fast it would break by playing in a playground.