Pick your battles

JazzysMom

I was speaking to a friend whose son is a friend of my daughters. Her son was kicked out of camp. She is extremely frustrated & is pointing fingers in every direction. Although she says she understands the rules, she seems to think they shouldnt apply because of whatever reason. Anyone this friend has a good heart & has been there for me to vent etc, but I am starting to get tired of her complaining. I am not saying that life isnt stressful & that some of her complaints arent valid. As a matter of fact until this year, I use to get wrapped up in all that petty stuff. My husband bought a little sign for me that reminds me of my priorities. Its says: "If it's not fatal, it's no big deal." It just seems that those who really have a simple life do the most bitching. Just like with kids, you need to pick your battles. I try explaining that, but dont seem to really get through. Last time I felt this way, I distanced myself from her because I was getting so worked up just like she was. I enjoy speaking with her & dont really want to distance myself, but feel like I might need to again. Has anyone else noticed that those people who really dont have any "issues" in life seem to make their own drama?

JazzysMom

I have calmed down now. I realize that everyone has their own issues. Its just seems like they dont know what a crisis is. I shouldnt throw stones. Thanks for listening!

anonymous

Oh Melissa, can I relate!!!!!!

I have two sons. My Bennett is 11 months old with CF. My Jameson is almost 5 no CF. When my Bennett was first DX (when I was 19 weeks pregnant) and I told my family I thought things would change with my mother and her "view on life". It did for about 3 weeks and then she was back to her old self - bitching and complaining about EVERYTHING....!!! It has caused a greater divide between us b/c she has no clue as to what I go through on a daily basis and I really don't think she cares. It is all about HER.

I have other friends who complain about things like their counter tops in their kitchens or other petty meaningless things and I think to myself WHO CARES....

sorry - just venting .. good for you for seeing the positive side of things!!!

JazzysMom

My oldest nephew was killed in a alcohol related car accident 8 years ago. My sister, the mother of my nephew, & my Mom stopped talking years before that. There was a lot of unexplained anger & recentment between them. Anyway when my nephew was killed they actually hugged, talked, cried etc. My whole family was so relieved to see that they made their peace with each other. That lasted maybe 2-3 weeks. Then they both started saying that it was the other ones turn to call. Here we are on 8 years & my nephews death was in total vain. What does it take for people to get over the bull?! It really pisses me off. I am the youngest in my family, the one who is sick yet I am the only one that seems to have my act together. As much as I can anyway. I just dont get it! I am by no means an expert on relationships, but damn.....who else needs to die before they get over their issues!