post nasal drip

Alliesmom

My 4 yr old w/ CF has started doing a clear her throat type cough in the past couple of weeks. I'm not exaggerating when I say she does it all day long. It's constant. She doesn't complain about it but by the end of the day her throat is raw.

I assume this is allergies even though she's never officially been diagnosed with them. Her ped gave her a rx for zyrtec but i have seen no difference.

Any suggestions? Anyone else going through this? She needs some relief from this fast. We have an appointment with an ENT next week but she needs something before then

Thanks!

gsplover

I have that all the time. Best recomendation is to clear it out and spit it out so it doesn't go int to her lungs and cause a lung infection. When I really want it to go away I take over the counter sinus medication. Allergy medication does nothing for me either.

sarabeth87

i've had that problem pretty much as long as i can remember. my sinuses are the main cause of my lung infections that i get. anyways, i usually take sudafed or benadryl (bendryl dries me up completely) i had sinus surgery done in dec and it helped ALOT for a few months, but now i'm back to where i was b4 the surgery. i didn't do a good job at my post sugery routine ( i did nasal rinses for 2 weeks afterwards, although i should still be doing them)

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My boys have that too. Sudafed takes care of it. Also saline nasal spray a few times a day. Spray and BLOW. There's also a sinus rinse thats gross but work great!

They both do flonase sprays and sometimes take allegra when allergies are bad.

princessjdc

I do the sinus rinse and flonase and when my nose is dry I use ocean spray stuff. I clear my throat too, but its not that bad to where I have to take somehting for it, if anything Ill just rinse my nose with the sinus rinse stuff. I love that stuff.

Alliesmom

Do you think Allie is old enough to do the nasal sprays? She can't really cough stuff out yet though.

Will the ENT be able to suggest these things or do you guys get these rxs from the CF doctor?

coltsfan715

I have always done this as well. Try getting her to blow her nose or cough the stuff out if meds don't work.

I still have problems with post nasal drip now and have found that OTC Decongestants work well in drying my sinuses out. You can maybe talk to her doc and see if there is a decongestant that she could take that wouldn't interfere with her other meds.

Saline nose sprays aren't bad but they can sometimes make you feel like your nose is constantly running - for me anyway and they are only temporary for me the effect lasts about 30 minutes or so -- then it is either spray again or deal with the sniffing and throat clearing. Be careful with medicated nose sprays though cause they are the ones that can cause addiction - my mom got addicted to Afrin years ago it was annoying .. and strange.

Hope that helps .. hope you find something to work for her

Lindsey

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Alliesmom</b></i>

Do you think Allie is old enough to do the nasal sprays? She can't really cough stuff out yet though.

Will the ENT be able to suggest these things or do you guys get these rxs from the CF doctor?</end quote></div>

You don't need a script for the saline spray and rinse, they're OTC. The other ones I don't know. Allie probably won't enjoy doing the spray, but it will be worth it.

thelizardqueen

I've always done that too. For as long as I can remember my sinuses tend to drain into the back of my throat, especially with allergies, or when its hot out or really cold. Best thing to do is just spit it out.

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Jane</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Alliesmom</b></i>

Will the ENT be able to suggest these things or do you guys get these rxs from the CF doctor?</end quote></div>

You don't need a script for the saline spray and rinse, they're OTC. The other ones I don't know. Allie probably won't enjoy doing the spray, but it will be worth it.</end quote></div>

My daughter (no CF) started nasal spray when she just turned 4 for her allergies. I taught her exactly how to do it & even showed her on myself She caught right on. At first she wasnt impressed, but it helps & she notices when she doesnt use them!