Post transplant tune ups?

summer732

I wouldn't call it a tune up per say since there really is nothing to tune up in the new lungs the same rules that applied to the CF lungs don't really apply to transplant lungs. But I had my transplant in November of 2004 and developed bronchitis in March 2005 (course of IV treatments). And then one more time in the summer of 2006 when I let a cough go too long and developed pneumonia. I was admitted and needed two weeks of IV antibiotics. That's about it for me!

summer732

I wouldn't call it a tune up per say since there really is nothing to tune up in the new lungs the same rules that applied to the CF lungs don't really apply to transplant lungs. But I had my transplant in November of 2004 and developed bronchitis in March 2005 (course of IV treatments). And then one more time in the summer of 2006 when I let a cough go too long and developed pneumonia. I was admitted and needed two weeks of IV antibiotics. That's about it for me!

summer732

summer732

summer732

coltsfan715

I had my transplant in May 2007 and have had a handful of brief hospital stays. All of my hospital stays were for stomach viruses(or food poisoning) and dehydration, a severe UTI and once for my blood sugar (dropped low and I was found unconscious in my house).

I have been fortunate in that I have only developed a few head colds and with those I called my doc the day I developed issues and was given an oral abx and was fine within a day or two. My center and coordinator basically gave me this advice - when it comes to illness. If you don't feel well and it lasts for longer than 5 hours call the clinic. Every time I have called and every time I have been treated almost immediately or admitted in the case of the few hospital stays. The longest hospital stay was for my blood sugar which was 2.5 days long and that was just to run some tests because they weren't sure why my sugar had dropped so low (it was 34 when I finally came too after being given an injection of something).

I have learned that post transplant is not like pre transplant CF issues. You don't have the luxury of waiting to see if you can fight it off. All of my friends that have tried to wait something out to see if they get better on their own have ended up in the hospital, so I call the day I feel icky and get meds when I don't feel good.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

I had my transplant in May 2007 and have had a handful of brief hospital stays. All of my hospital stays were for stomach viruses(or food poisoning) and dehydration, a severe UTI and once for my blood sugar (dropped low and I was found unconscious in my house).

I have been fortunate in that I have only developed a few head colds and with those I called my doc the day I developed issues and was given an oral abx and was fine within a day or two. My center and coordinator basically gave me this advice - when it comes to illness. If you don't feel well and it lasts for longer than 5 hours call the clinic. Every time I have called and every time I have been treated almost immediately or admitted in the case of the few hospital stays. The longest hospital stay was for my blood sugar which was 2.5 days long and that was just to run some tests because they weren't sure why my sugar had dropped so low (it was 34 when I finally came too after being given an injection of something).

I have learned that post transplant is not like pre transplant CF issues. You don't have the luxury of waiting to see if you can fight it off. All of my friends that have tried to wait something out to see if they get better on their own have ended up in the hospital, so I call the day I feel icky and get meds when I don't feel good.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

<br />
<br />I have been fortunate in that I have only developed a few head colds and with those I called my doc the day I developed issues and was given an oral abx and was fine within a day or two. My center and coordinator basically gave me this advice - when it comes to illness. If you don't feel well and it lasts for longer than 5 hours call the clinic. Every time I have called and every time I have been treated almost immediately or admitted in the case of the few hospital stays. The longest hospital stay was for my blood sugar which was 2.5 days long and that was just to run some tests because they weren't sure why my sugar had dropped so low (it was 34 when I finally came too after being given an injection of something).
<br />
<br />I have learned that post transplant is not like pre transplant CF issues. You don't have the luxury of waiting to see if you can fight it off. All of my friends that have tried to wait something out to see if they get better on their own have ended up in the hospital, so I call the day I feel icky and get meds when I don't feel good.
<br />
<br />Lindsey

Transplantmommy

I haven't had any tune-ups, but I have ended up in the hospital for other things. I had my transplant in January 2007 and in May I started having some bad stomach pains. I saw my GP for it and he said it was c-diff so I was treated for that. Well, the meds didn't work and I ended up in the hospital having emergency surgery to have my large intestine removed. The infection was really bad and there was nothing they could do but remove it. I had two other brief hospital stays for the follow-up sugeries to connect my small intestine to my rectum and then to close the ileostomy.

After that, I was in for a few days for a bowel obstruction...nothing to do with the lungs. That was in March 2008 and I haven't been in the hospital since!

Transplantmommy

I haven't had any tune-ups, but I have ended up in the hospital for other things. I had my transplant in January 2007 and in May I started having some bad stomach pains. I saw my GP for it and he said it was c-diff so I was treated for that. Well, the meds didn't work and I ended up in the hospital having emergency surgery to have my large intestine removed. The infection was really bad and there was nothing they could do but remove it. I had two other brief hospital stays for the follow-up sugeries to connect my small intestine to my rectum and then to close the ileostomy.

After that, I was in for a few days for a bowel obstruction...nothing to do with the lungs. That was in March 2008 and I haven't been in the hospital since!

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />After that, I was in for a few days for a bowel obstruction...nothing to do with the lungs. That was in March 2008 and I haven't been in the hospital since!