post transplant

musclemania70

after transplant, what are some things that you can do that you couldn't do before?
how has your life improved?
would you do it again?
do you feel like life is more fulfilling?
do you feel more restricted or less restricted?
thanks~!

musclemania70

after transplant, what are some things that you can do that you couldn't do before?
would you do it again?
thanks~!

cftransplant

Post TX the number of "things" I can do are too many to innumerate.
Life has improved, I am alive and was dying pre TX.
I would not hesitate to have the TX, my life was becoming tough prior to the TX. With a drive to live, for some their is no choice but to go for the chance to improve and extend your life.
Life has always been fulfilling.
Far less restricted. I can go for a walk, drive, fly, all without being attached to an oxygen bottle. I have limitations, walking over 8,000 feet in elevation is tough, I stay out of crowds, etc. Not going to go to a concert or dinner on Friday night during flu season. It is nice to go for a trip without oxygen bottles, etc. Flying with oxygen pre TX is a nightmare.

CF 61 cepacia TX 12 years out

cftransplant

Post TX the number of "things" I can do are too many to innumerate.
Life has improved, I am alive and was dying pre TX.
I would not hesitate to have the TX, my life was becoming tough prior to the TX. With a drive to live, for some their is no choice but to go for the chance to improve and extend your life.
Life has always been fulfilling.
Far less restricted. I can go for a walk, drive, fly, all without being attached to an oxygen bottle. I have limitations, walking over 8,000 feet in elevation is tough, I stay out of crowds, etc. Not going to go to a concert or dinner on Friday night during flu season. It is nice to go for a trip without oxygen bottles, etc. Flying with oxygen pre TX is a nightmare.

CF 61 cepacia TX 12 years out

summer732

Hi! I'm going to give you some quick answers to your questions. My life has changed is such a dramatic way that it is so hard to hit on everything.

I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs before transplant. After transplant, I ran a half marathon

In every way possible. I gained my independence back. I can work full time, support myself, take care of myself, have fun with my family and friends (all without getting tired/sick/coughing).

would you do it again?
In the blink of an eye.

Much more fulfilling because I have so much more that I can do without thinking. I don't have to worry about fitting in chest pt and nebs. I can pick up, get ready, and go (as long as I have my pills with me, I can survive).

I feel much less restricted. The only time I feel restricted is when I get sick. Then I have to take special care of myself and see the doctor asap. But other than that, I live my life the way I want to and it is because I can breathe.

My life the past 7.5 years has truly been wonderfully amazing. I have always had a very strong will to live, and a large zest for life. The transplant has only increased that. Now, I can experience the world in the way it was meant to be seen (while breathing). Being able to breath has been the best gift that anyone could ever give me and I am grateful every single day of my life that I went through with my transplant.

I am one of the good stories though...and the scary reality is that not everyone's story is as bright. My true suggestion is to talk to a range of people about their experiences to understand what could happen. My transplant hasn't been perfect (I had lymphoma, acute rejection, etc.). But it was still worth it.

summer732

Hi! I'm going to give you some quick answers to your questions. My life has changed is such a dramatic way that it is so hard to hit on everything.

I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs before transplant. After transplant, I ran a half marathon

In every way possible. I gained my independence back. I can work full time, support myself, take care of myself, have fun with my family and friends (all without getting tired/sick/coughing).

would you do it again?
In the blink of an eye.

Much more fulfilling because I have so much more that I can do without thinking. I don't have to worry about fitting in chest pt and nebs. I can pick up, get ready, and go (as long as I have my pills with me, I can survive).

I feel much less restricted. The only time I feel restricted is when I get sick. Then I have to take special care of myself and see the doctor asap. But other than that, I live my life the way I want to and it is because I can breathe.

My life the past 7.5 years has truly been wonderfully amazing. I have always had a very strong will to live, and a large zest for life. The transplant has only increased that. Now, I can experience the world in the way it was meant to be seen (while breathing). Being able to breath has been the best gift that anyone could ever give me and I am grateful every single day of my life that I went through with my transplant.

I am one of the good stories though...and the scary reality is that not everyone's story is as bright. My true suggestion is to talk to a range of people about their experiences to understand what could happen. My transplant hasn't been perfect (I had lymphoma, acute rejection, etc.). But it was still worth it.

athanasia

I can do anything I put my mind to. It may require more precautions but not a big deal. I think about things more carefully before doing things if I feel it might be risky and talk to my docs about them. The best thing I can now that I couldn't before is take a deep, beautiful breath whenever I want.

I wouldn't say my life has improved because my life was pretty amazing before, great family, awesome friends, been loved by someone I loved, had wonderful opportunities to see the beauty and the wonder in the world. What I would say it that I improved. My health is so much better than ever before. I have some side effects of the anti-rejection meds but nothing like not being able to breathe. These things are manageable. I still have my family, friends, love and opportunities but I am in a much better condition to fully enjoy them now.

would you do it again?

I have said this many times before. That first full breath after the vent came out was one of the most beautiful and amazing experiences of my life and if that breath was the only one I knew I would get, it would do it again without a doubt. That breath and every single breath since are worth everything that I went through whether it was pain, hospital stays, blood draws, time spent at medical facilities for check-ups, medical treatments anything. It is that amazing to fully breathe, move around, sleep peacefully and just not worry that I will deflate if my oxygen tube gets tangled or make a decision between showering or being awake to spend time with my family that day because I only had enough energy for one. I can't express that enough.

Yes, I never took it for granted before but I am even more in awe of everything this life has to offer. I am graduating with my master's degree in a couple months after studying to be an organ procurement coordinator. I knew my story was pretty amazing and that there were many things that if didn't go just as they did, I wouldn't be here today and this plan of study has made me even more aware of that. It is giving me a chance to pay it forward to every donor family I come in contact with to tell them how appreciative I and every recipient out there is for their loved one who is a hero. I get to share my story with nurses and other medical staff to help them understand how much they are doing for up to 8 people by taking care of that donor. I tell anyone my story and if just one person changes their mind about being an organ donor which may end up saving someone else down the line, I know that I am continuing that positive ripple effect that began with my donor saving me and so on. I am getting married in about 5 months to the most amazing man. This is something I have wanted since I was little and feared I would never see. We are talking with the docs about getting everything set up so that we can have a baby together and create a beautiful life that will make this world a better place. I make sure that every second I have is full of love and appreciation so that it is fulfilling.

Before my transplant, I was on oxygen all the time and as stated above, deflated without it. Compared to that I am free. I still do inhaled tobi bimonthly as a precaution and still take meds like I used to. The big difference is that I have only been in the hospital twice in the 4 1/2 years since surgery and it was for a couple of days, not weeks, and for headache and tummy trouble. That is far less restricting than spending a couple of months of the year in a hospital bed.

As Summer posted above, I also am one of the lucky ones in that *knock on wood it stays like this* I have had no complications except a couple of side effects from meds that can be controlled. Frankly, even my docs are shocked at how great I have been because I was so sick going in, I was in a coma and wouldn't have ever woke up since everything was shutting down on me. I was at the very end of everything. No matter what pain I went through or annoyance of any kind I experienced after waking up just meant that I was alive so for me, it wasn't bad. I kept my head focused on what was to come and all the dreams I had that would now come true as long as I followed my doc's orders. Choosing whether or not to have a transplant is a very personal choice and I wish you the peace of mind and clarity that came to me when making my choice no matter what path you choose. I had no guarantees about how it would go but I knew that I would have my support team around to help. If you have faith in anything no matter what it is, trust it to guide you to the right choice for you and may you be blessed to have the best outcome that you hope for.

I hope this helps in some way. Feel free to contact me if you want to talk more.

athanasia

I can do anything I put my mind to. It may require more precautions but not a big deal. I think about things more carefully before doing things if I feel it might be risky and talk to my docs about them. The best thing I can now that I couldn't before is take a deep, beautiful breath whenever I want.

I wouldn't say my life has improved because my life was pretty amazing before, great family, awesome friends, been loved by someone I loved, had wonderful opportunities to see the beauty and the wonder in the world. What I would say it that I improved. My health is so much better than ever before. I have some side effects of the anti-rejection meds but nothing like not being able to breathe. These things are manageable. I still have my family, friends, love and opportunities but I am in a much better condition to fully enjoy them now.

would you do it again?

I have said this many times before. That first full breath after the vent came out was one of the most beautiful and amazing experiences of my life and if that breath was the only one I knew I would get, it would do it again without a doubt. That breath and every single breath since are worth everything that I went through whether it was pain, hospital stays, blood draws, time spent at medical facilities for check-ups, medical treatments anything. It is that amazing to fully breathe, move around, sleep peacefully and just not worry that I will deflate if my oxygen tube gets tangled or make a decision between showering or being awake to spend time with my family that day because I only had enough energy for one. I can't express that enough.

Yes, I never took it for granted before but I am even more in awe of everything this life has to offer. I am graduating with my master's degree in a couple months after studying to be an organ procurement coordinator. I knew my story was pretty amazing and that there were many things that if didn't go just as they did, I wouldn't be here today and this plan of study has made me even more aware of that. It is giving me a chance to pay it forward to every donor family I come in contact with to tell them how appreciative I and every recipient out there is for their loved one who is a hero. I get to share my story with nurses and other medical staff to help them understand how much they are doing for up to 8 people by taking care of that donor. I tell anyone my story and if just one person changes their mind about being an organ donor which may end up saving someone else down the line, I know that I am continuing that positive ripple effect that began with my donor saving me and so on. I am getting married in about 5 months to the most amazing man. This is something I have wanted since I was little and feared I would never see. We are talking with the docs about getting everything set up so that we can have a baby together and create a beautiful life that will make this world a better place. I make sure that every second I have is full of love and appreciation so that it is fulfilling.

Before my transplant, I was on oxygen all the time and as stated above, deflated without it. Compared to that I am free. I still do inhaled tobi bimonthly as a precaution and still take meds like I used to. The big difference is that I have only been in the hospital twice in the 4 1/2 years since surgery and it was for a couple of days, not weeks, and for headache and tummy trouble. That is far less restricting than spending a couple of months of the year in a hospital bed.

As Summer posted above, I also am one of the lucky ones in that *knock on wood it stays like this* I have had no complications except a couple of side effects from meds that can be controlled. Frankly, even my docs are shocked at how great I have been because I was so sick going in, I was in a coma and wouldn't have ever woke up since everything was shutting down on me. I was at the very end of everything. No matter what pain I went through or annoyance of any kind I experienced after waking up just meant that I was alive so for me, it wasn't bad. I kept my head focused on what was to come and all the dreams I had that would now come true as long as I followed my doc's orders. Choosing whether or not to have a transplant is a very personal choice and I wish you the peace of mind and clarity that came to me when making my choice no matter what path you choose. I had no guarantees about how it would go but I knew that I would have my support team around to help. If you have faith in anything no matter what it is, trust it to guide you to the right choice for you and may you be blessed to have the best outcome that you hope for.

I hope this helps in some way. Feel free to contact me if you want to talk more.

Pray4Cure

At first i didn't want my transplant. I had already spent 25 years coming to terms and accepting the fact that my life would be shortened. But i went through with it anyway mostly for my family. I'm so glad i did it and am so grateful to my donor. I can actually have conversations with people with out coughing my lungs up. I can go outside in the summer, i can walk up stairs without getting out of breath, i can breathe easy and i can fill my lungs with as much oxygen as i want. it was

Pray4Cure

At first i didn't want my transplant. I had already spent 25 years coming to terms and accepting the fact that my life would be shortened. But i went through with it anyway mostly for my family. I'm so glad i did it and am so grateful to my donor. I can actually have conversations with people with out coughing my lungs up. I can go outside in the summer, i can walk up stairs without getting out of breath, i can breathe easy and i can fill my lungs with as much oxygen as i want. it was