Pre-Transplant Physical Therapy

mattemo

I've read about some transplant centers requiring a physical therapy regimen leading up to transplant. My center doesn't require one and didn't give me any specific guidelines, but I was wondering if anyone else could tell me what they have done? I'd like to do something while I'm waiting...

Daverog75

Hello Mattemo,

I am on the list in Canada and have to do physio 3x a week. Once at Toronto General where I will be having the surgery and 2x a week in St. Catharines which is where I live.

I do treadmill, stretching, some weights for arms and legs, and then finish with the bike.

Dave,

cftransplant

Duke has an excellent program. Five days a week. Weight machines (5-7), walking on a track or treadmill, bike, stretching with floor exercises, rowing machines, etc. Around 2-3 hours a day, with rest periods and oxygen available. This is a pre and post TX program. If you want details, perhaps the Center for Living at Duke will provide details. A local gym with structure should work as well, except without medical monitoring and spare oxygen available.

Do what you can.