Preparing for Pregnancy-Gene Testing

austinchick

Hello, I am new to this forum, but really glad I found you all. Most of you seem to have already gone through pregnancy and having babies and everything. It is very helpful to read your posts. I posted something the other day asking about gene testing and LouLou you helped me very much with those two lab names! My husband and I went to his doctor today to get him tested and found that he really didn't know much about the extensive testing we needed. So he basically told me I would need to look up labs on my own because his lab only tested for 96 mutations of the cf carrier gene. He called Genzyme and told me that they would do the test and check 1500 mutations but insurance doesn't cover it of course and it would cost $3400 plus a consultation fee to inform us about cf. Umm..yeah don't need that one.
I decided to take matters into my own hands and called Ambry, which LouLou said was the best lab and they seem to be. They were very helpful and said it would cost $1200, no consultation fee. I am happy about this but still upset that insurance won't cover it.
Was it this expensive for everyone? I do realize that $1200 is worth putting my mind at ease and it has to be done. However, I like many of you, have so many other medical expenses!

austinchick

Hello, I am new to this forum, but really glad I found you all. Most of you seem to have already gone through pregnancy and having babies and everything. It is very helpful to read your posts. I posted something the other day asking about gene testing and LouLou you helped me very much with those two lab names! My husband and I went to his doctor today to get him tested and found that he really didn't know much about the extensive testing we needed. So he basically told me I would need to look up labs on my own because his lab only tested for 96 mutations of the cf carrier gene. He called Genzyme and told me that they would do the test and check 1500 mutations but insurance doesn't cover it of course and it would cost $3400 plus a consultation fee to inform us about cf. Umm..yeah don't need that one.
I decided to take matters into my own hands and called Ambry, which LouLou said was the best lab and they seem to be. They were very helpful and said it would cost $1200, no consultation fee. I am happy about this but still upset that insurance won't cover it.
Was it this expensive for everyone? I do realize that $1200 is worth putting my mind at ease and it has to be done. However, I like many of you, have so many other medical expenses!

austinchick

austinchick

austinchick

<br />I decided to take matters into my own hands and called Ambry, which LouLou said was the best lab and they seem to be. They were very helpful and said it would cost $1200, no consultation fee. I am happy about this but still upset that insurance won't cover it.
<br />Was it this expensive for everyone? I do realize that $1200 is worth putting my mind at ease and it has to be done. However, I like many of you, have so many other medical expenses!

hbollotte

fight for it. insurance should cover it. i wasn't married at the time and wound up pregnant. well my dr. insisted that my baby's father (husband now) get tested. she wrote a letter saying it was a medical necessity that it would have to be done for the baby if it wasn't done for him. we did ours through ambry and it only cost us $250, thats what insurance didn't pay. good luck.

hbollotte

fight for it. insurance should cover it. i wasn't married at the time and wound up pregnant. well my dr. insisted that my baby's father (husband now) get tested. she wrote a letter saying it was a medical necessity that it would have to be done for the baby if it wasn't done for him. we did ours through ambry and it only cost us $250, thats what insurance didn't pay. good luck.

hbollotte

hbollotte

hbollotte

jbrandonAW

I'm so glad you are taking the extra step.

I myself just got the 96 test for my husband, we did the newborn screening, and then did a sweat test at 6 months. All Negative and my daughter is healthy as ever!

I hope you can get it covered!

jbrandonAW

I myself just got the 96 test for my husband, we did the newborn screening, and then did a sweat test at 6 months. All Negative and my daughter is healthy as ever!

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />I myself just got the 96 test for my husband, we did the newborn screening, and then did a sweat test at 6 months. All Negative and my daughter is healthy as ever!
<br />
<br />I hope you can get it covered!