Question about "Borderline" result

Alyssa

Question about "Borderline

Please read my blog (link at the bottom in my signature line) it give our personal experience and give the guidelines for sweat test result numbers.

Your question asking if the results this time are a good sign or not leads me to believe you are hoping the number changes his/her condition somehow (see below) -- like the other poster said, the difference is negligible -- the bigger question (in my opinion) is:

<b>Does this child have CF or not and what is the doctor doing to determine that so you can get the appropriate treatment for your child?</b>

What has happened in the last 14 months? Why would they wait so long to repeat the test?

Assuming the testing was done correctly at a certified center, they are probably very accurate and unlikely they will change over time -- the number is not an indicator that your child is "getting better" or "getting worse" like some other types of medical test might be. The sweat test is a diagnostic tool that indicates how well the sweat chloride channels are functioning -- if they are not functioning correctly that is a very good indicator that the genes responsible for causing that malfunction are the mutations associated with CF genes.

<b>Please be aggressive with the doctor and insist on full genetic testing</b> (blood test) for hopefully a better picture of whether or not your child has CF. The blood test is not 100% either because some people still have genes that have yet to be identified, but your chances of getting positive results when looking for over 1400 gene mutations is a whole lot better than just getting a borderline sweat test result.

unclet

Thank you for your info. My head is spinning right now. I have three sons and I fear they will all be dealing with this disease. You are a bright spot in my day, mic10467. Even though there is mention of several brother's lives being touched by this...your success and well being gives me much comfort. I am in an awful place right now and I just want to get out of it so I can help my kids. How does your mother do with all of this??? Alyssa, Melissa and Heather your info was very helpful too and I'm so anxious to talk to a mom. Am I allowed to post an email on here for people to reply directly? I'm still figuring all of this out!! Melissa - you made my day too. Thanks, again, Kris (the sister of UncleT)

unclet

Thank you for your info. My head is spinning right now. I have three sons and I fear they will all be dealing with this disease. You are a bright spot in my day, mic10467. Even though there is mention of several brother's lives being touched by this...your success and well being gives me much comfort. I am in an awful place right now and I just want to get out of it so I can help my kids. How does your mother do with all of this??? Alyssa, Melissa and Heather your info was very helpful too and I'm so anxious to talk to a mom. Am I allowed to post an email on here for people to reply directly? I'm still figuring all of this out!! Melissa - you made my day too. Thanks, again, Kris (the sister of UncleT)

unclet

Alyssa

Yes, you can post your email address and ask others to email you -- you can also use the private message (PM) feature on this site to communicate with anyone who has a user name -- it goes directly between you two just like email, but does not go to a post for everyone to see. You have to be logged in in order to see that you have messages from others.

Alyssa

Yes, you can post your email address and ask others to email you -- you can also use the private message (PM) feature on this site to communicate with anyone who has a user name -- it goes directly between you two just like email, but does not go to a post for everyone to see. You have to be logged in in order to see that you have messages from others.

Alyssa