Question about CF

spmgallaghe

Im a 20 year old college student who for most of my life have been healthy as a dog. The only illness i had as a kid was sinus problems which were brushed off as allergies mostly. About a year ago i began to have lots of stomach problems such as indegestion, heartburn, constipation etc. At the same time these sinus infections are still very prevalent. Being a college student i was a social drinker and alcohol didnt bother me very much. Then i noticed that the alcohol made me feel very shitty all over and made me feel very drunk with small amounts (I am 6 foot 1 and 190 pounds with irish and german descent) I had an episode where i got a flu like thing after wards and my doctor said he thought it was pancreatitis. I looked it up and it said the most common cause is alcohol over use. I however didn't drink that often at all.. Maybe id get drunk one time every 3 months, and not even alot.. just a social buzz. One day while i was looking up pancreatitis online i stumbled upon CF. I saw that i had many things that CF people suffer from. The sinus problems, digestive problems, and that thick muscus that makes you feel like its killing you. I talked to my doctor about it and he said that theres no way i could have CF i would be having many lung infections. I was wondering if anyone knew that it might be possible to have a Mild form of CF that isnt diagnosed until the late teens? I am stilll getting tests done and loosing hope on what it is exactly that is making all of these things happen not to mention the Hot flashes and prostate problems i am having with these. I guess im kinda hoping someone can tell me something about there experiences or someone close to them.

spmgallaghe

Im a 20 year old college student who for most of my life have been healthy as a dog. The only illness i had as a kid was sinus problems which were brushed off as allergies mostly. About a year ago i began to have lots of stomach problems such as indegestion, heartburn, constipation etc. At the same time these sinus infections are still very prevalent. Being a college student i was a social drinker and alcohol didnt bother me very much. Then i noticed that the alcohol made me feel very shitty all over and made me feel very drunk with small amounts (I am 6 foot 1 and 190 pounds with irish and german descent) I had an episode where i got a flu like thing after wards and my doctor said he thought it was pancreatitis. I looked it up and it said the most common cause is alcohol over use. I however didn't drink that often at all.. Maybe id get drunk one time every 3 months, and not even alot.. just a social buzz. One day while i was looking up pancreatitis online i stumbled upon CF. I saw that i had many things that CF people suffer from. The sinus problems, digestive problems, and that thick muscus that makes you feel like its killing you. I talked to my doctor about it and he said that theres no way i could have CF i would be having many lung infections. I was wondering if anyone knew that it might be possible to have a Mild form of CF that isnt diagnosed until the late teens? I am stilll getting tests done and loosing hope on what it is exactly that is making all of these things happen not to mention the Hot flashes and prostate problems i am having with these. I guess im kinda hoping someone can tell me something about there experiences or someone close to them.

spmgallaghe

folione

There are plenty of people with CF not diagnosed until your age and plenty who do not have "many lung infections". That does not mean you have CF - only testing for it will tell you and your Dr. that. But it does at least mean you should push back at the Dr. and maybe get an opinion from a different doc if you're worried.

folione

There are plenty of people with CF not diagnosed until your age and plenty who do not have "many lung infections". That does not mean you have CF - only testing for it will tell you and your Dr. that. But it does at least mean you should push back at the Dr. and maybe get an opinion from a different doc if you're worried.

folione

loriz65

You are only 20 and many people are diagnosed even later in life than you. I agree, you should definately push more testing from your treating physician and/or get another opinion.

Lori Aunt to Gillian w/cf 5 y/o

loriz65

You are only 20 and many people are diagnosed even later in life than you. I agree, you should definately push more testing from your treating physician and/or get another opinion.

loriz65

JRPandTJP

Like the others said, their are some cases that don't present until later in life. It doesn't sound particulary consistent with CF to me.

I would seriously get evaluated for food allergies and yeast overgrowth (Candida). It can cause alot of the same problems. What you're describing can be typcial of alot of things.

You can go to alternative/complimentary medicine practioners to get their opinions on what might be happening as well as getting a sweat test if your are truly concerned about CF.

Check out www.wholeapproach.com for a candida questionaire. I think more people suffer from fungal overgrowth issues than has been previously thought. Also, stomach issues can indicate or come up with stress and major life changes. It is worth a little poking around.

Jody

JRPandTJP

Like the others said, their are some cases that don't present until later in life. It doesn't sound particulary consistent with CF to me.

I would seriously get evaluated for food allergies and yeast overgrowth (Candida). It can cause alot of the same problems. What you're describing can be typcial of alot of things.

You can go to alternative/complimentary medicine practioners to get their opinions on what might be happening as well as getting a sweat test if your are truly concerned about CF.

Check out www.wholeapproach.com for a candida questionaire. I think more people suffer from fungal overgrowth issues than has been previously thought. Also, stomach issues can indicate or come up with stress and major life changes. It is worth a little poking around.

Jody

JRPandTJP

Jody

Alyssa

Yes, mild cases are being discovered more and more these days -- your doctor is not up to date on what's happening in the world of CF if he says there is no way you could have it -- ditto to what many others have said -- it's not that uncommon for people to be diagnosed at your age.

Read my blog for details about my kids diagnosis's at age 13 & 17 years old.

Some of the things you mention do sound like CF, others do not - but I would not be happy with a doctor who so easily dismisses the possibility -- at the very least ask for a sweat test, but be careful with those results (again see my blog) many people hover around the normal/borderline number and the doctor still think they do not have CF. If you can get full genetic blood work done -- insist they check for all known CF genes (over 1,400) don't go for just the screening.

It's also possible that you have more than just "one" thing wrong at the same time -- not everything has to be a symptom of the same problem, just because you are experiencing them at the same time -- as my chiropractor always says "the patient has the right to have more than one thing wrong with them at the same time"

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Alyssa

Yes, mild cases are being discovered more and more these days -- your doctor is not up to date on what's happening in the world of CF if he says there is no way you could have it -- ditto to what many others have said -- it's not that uncommon for people to be diagnosed at your age.

Some of the things you mention do sound like CF, others do not - but I would not be happy with a doctor who so easily dismisses the possibility -- at the very least ask for a sweat test, but be careful with those results (again see my blog) many people hover around the normal/borderline number and the doctor still think they do not have CF. If you can get full genetic blood work done -- insist they check for all known CF genes (over 1,400) don't go for just the screening.

It's also possible that you have more than just "one" thing wrong at the same time -- not everything has to be a symptom of the same problem, just because you are experiencing them at the same time -- as my chiropractor always says "the patient has the right to have more than one thing wrong with them at the same time"

Alyssa

djotroy17

I am 18 in college, and have a mild case too, was only hospitalized once at 5 years old because of nemonia. I have nvr noticed my CF having an effect on drinking alcohol thoe. Its very possible that you were just diagnosed really late with a mild case.

djotroy17

I am 18 in college, and have a mild case too, was only hospitalized once at 5 years old because of nemonia. I have nvr noticed my CF having an effect on drinking alcohol thoe. Its very possible that you were just diagnosed really late with a mild case.

djotroy17