Question about Cystic Fibrosis and Dairy??

EnergyGal

I know that as a child, Dairy did not bother me so much when i was little. My mother always gave me skim milk and I do not remember eating too much cheese. When I was older, I would go off milk products and would notice a great reduction in mucus. Then I would think how could that be possible? I tried it many times until I convinced myself that Dairy in general is mucus producing in every aspect of the body. As a transplant patient, the mucus in my sinuses would greatly thinken if I have dairy. I noticed it happend right away within a few hours the mucus thickens. I use to think, I am getting an infection when it was the dairy that was creating more mucus. I think that the amount of extra mucus that becomes present from dairy is far greater than the amount of a typical infection. Just my observation from my own body of course.

I strongly suggest if one goes off dairy that they start to eat many green vegetables and foods that contain calcium along with other minerals and consult a nutritionist for the best supplements out there depending on the age of the patient.

About NAET, I think it is a wonderful approach. I love NAET. I have used NAET for many years with many different practioners. I am now able to use a similar approach myself.

scarbrough

As a new mother to cf..this is the first I have heard about this..whatconcerns me is that the docs have told me to give her whole milk to help her get all the fats....we are currently having major sinus probs..wheezing..yikes..on pulmicort & xopenex(breathing machine) on top of the normal every other 28 day cycle of Tobi...I'm exhausted,so I know my 2yr old is...I'm thinking about cutting out the milk for a short time to see if I notice any changes....i'll replace fat & calcium some other way....this will be hard with the dairy issue,because we eat alot of cheese, yogurt & milk...

scarbrough

As a new mother to cf..this is the first I have heard about this..whatconcerns me is that the docs have told me to give her whole milk to help her get all the fats....we are currently having major sinus probs..wheezing..yikes..on pulmicort & xopenex(breathing machine) on top of the normal every other 28 day cycle of Tobi...I'm exhausted,so I know my 2yr old is...I'm thinking about cutting out the milk for a short time to see if I notice any changes....i'll replace fat & calcium some other way....this will be hard with the dairy issue,because we eat alot of cheese, yogurt & milk...

scarbrough

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Could be a sinus infection or seasonal allergies, too that is causing the wheezing, etc. We've always done breathing treatments 3-4 times a day with duoneb (albuterol & atrovent) and DS has been on Tobi since DS was an infant.

Even if DS had issues with dairy or any other foods, we wouldn't stop doing any of the preventative breathing & CPT treatments.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Could be a sinus infection or seasonal allergies, too that is causing the wheezing, etc. We've always done breathing treatments 3-4 times a day with duoneb (albuterol & atrovent) and DS has been on Tobi since DS was an infant.

Even if DS had issues with dairy or any other foods, we wouldn't stop doing any of the preventative breathing & CPT treatments.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

scarbrough

We think this stemmed from seasonal allergies, too, no infection...chest xray looked good...but I really push the whole milk & cheese on her..so it concerned me when I read this...just something I plan to pay extra attention to..this is the first time we have had to duoneb..she has been on Tobi since May'06, pseudo on throat culture..only tested positive that one time...anyway..not gonna stop any of her meds, just gonna watch the reaction to dairy & no dairy..we'll see....

scarbrough

We think this stemmed from seasonal allergies, too, no infection...chest xray looked good...but I really push the whole milk & cheese on her..so it concerned me when I read this...just something I plan to pay extra attention to..this is the first time we have had to duoneb..she has been on Tobi since May'06, pseudo on throat culture..only tested positive that one time...anyway..not gonna stop any of her meds, just gonna watch the reaction to dairy & no dairy..we'll see....

scarbrough

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was about 7 months old he developed a wheeze, sinus issues.. Lungs were always clear. I mentioned it to his doctor, who told us to up his "beatments" & nebs ("beat that wheeze out of him"). Then we had a regular clinic appointment a few months later when he was 10 months old and the doctor indicated he'd probably caught an upper respiratory bug AND he had a nasty sinus infection.

New mom that I was, thought it was NORMAL for kids to have nasty boogery noses during the winter months. Doctor put DS on augmentin for 20 days to knock out the infection once and for all. Didn't have any issues after that.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS was about 7 months old he developed a wheeze, sinus issues.. Lungs were always clear. I mentioned it to his doctor, who told us to up his "beatments" & nebs ("beat that wheeze out of him"). Then we had a regular clinic appointment a few months later when he was 10 months old and the doctor indicated he'd probably caught an upper respiratory bug AND he had a nasty sinus infection.

New mom that I was, thought it was NORMAL for kids to have nasty boogery noses during the winter months. Doctor put DS on augmentin for 20 days to knock out the infection once and for all. Didn't have any issues after that.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

scarbrough

That sounds like what is happening with Hannah, hopefully we will have the same outcome..she always has had dietary issues..this is the first "lung" issue...thanks for your help!!

scarbrough

That sounds like what is happening with Hannah, hopefully we will have the same outcome..she always has had dietary issues..this is the first "lung" issue...thanks for your help!!

scarbrough

EnergyGal

I only learned about the dairy issue causing extra mucus as an adult. I cannot say what age would be best. I really like Foody's comments. She has an amazing website on nutrition and CF. I would visit her site at

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cfnutrition4life.com">http://cfnutrition4life.com</a>

EnergyGal

I only learned about the dairy issue causing extra mucus as an adult. I cannot say what age would be best. I really like Foody's comments. She has an amazing website on nutrition and CF. I would visit her site at

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cfnutrition4life.com">http://cfnutrition4life.com</a>

EnergyGal